If you had $800 to spend on speakers, sub, and receiver what would you get? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 138 Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL, okay. Thank you.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw00dy View Post

Thanks, I'm already neck deep into this, so I hope what I have chosen will work. Actually, since I've never had anything, this is going to be a step up and we'll love it I'm sure.

Place your subwoofer doing the subwoofer crawl and you will get the most out of it. My 50watt rms 8" sub I can feel in my chest in the primary seating spot
post #93 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'll make sure to do it.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #94 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I did it. I bought the Pioneer VSX 1120-K -- it should be here by the 21st.

I also put in an offer on the PL-200, and got a reply, to which I asked if included shipping, which it did, so I will buy it in the morning.

I am going to be very happy to be done with this... And even more so when it all shows up.

post #95 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

The PL-200 is on its way too. Since it's only coming from Las Vegas I should have it about the same time as the other stuff.

I am getting excited.

I better get all my cabling ordered tomorrow (sub, banana clips, etc.)

Do you guys have any recommendations for speaker hook ups? Meaning are banana clips the preferred method or is something else easier/better?

I really want to thank you all for bearing with me through this. It's been an adventure and I've learned a LOT thanks to all of you help.

post #96 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Do you guys have any recommendations for speaker hook ups? Meaning are banana clips the preferred method or is something else easier/better?

Since you have small guage speaker wire it will be easy to slip it under the binding posts on the AVR and the speakers. Just strip 1/2 to 3/4 inch of insulation and twist the wire strands tight, tighten the binding posts on the AVR and the speakers tight and the connections will not need any attention for years.

Regards,
Charlie

post #97 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 AM
krs

Liked: 11
Banana clips are convenient but not always a great connection. I've never seen professionallly installed banana clips, and depending on which type is used they can be a pain to get a tight solid connection to wires. Also, they'll loosen unless put together very tightly and when all done the sockets they plug into are not always all that snug. I use 'em but am starting to hate them.

I think the ballyhoo over HDMI speed is over for a while. The HDMI governing body has gotten rid of the 1.3 or 1.4 designations and simply specifies cables that are rated "Hi-speed" for all uses. The whole controversy seems to have devolved into marketing hype. A little research (which I haven't done) should clear up the question and stop all shoppers from their search for "3D ready" or "1.4 cabable" equipment.

I have a 7.1 system with speakers all around the room. The two back speakers (rears) do get an Audyssey signal, and they are tone adjustable manually but to tell the truth I've never detected their participation in a movie sound experience. As best I can tell all they do is repeat what's coming from the two fronts and it was too loud after Audyssey. I turned them WAY down manually and it's more natural now. I might be wrong or just haven't had the right movies to enjoy the part rear speakers play, but I'd be fine without them so far and am thinking of configuring my receiver for "highs" and hanging my two rear speakers from the wall behind my TV set. I understand that highs really do add something special - at least that's what some advertising claims they do. At least the sound would come from the direction of the screen.

Does anyone stop to think that maybe we're all being sold a lot of bull? I know one thing - the more or less discriminating listening I do with my stereo system downstairs sure sounds good these days. Two channel splendor like I don't expect to hear upstairs from the "home theater" system.

Just a little confusion added to the mix.
post #98 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 AM

I'm on the same boat, recently decided to buy a surround system for my bedroom.
What I end up with is the following,
-Denon 1610(open box, like new condition from craigslist), $200
-Pair of Polk Monitor 40's for front, $110
-Pair of Polk Monitor 30's for surround, $80
-Polk CS-2 for center, $100
subtotal thus far, $590.

Now just need to get a decent sub for the polks. Which ones would you guys suggest?
My room is only a 8'x10' with a 42" TV

The Polks are so cheap right now on Newegg, couldn't resist buying them up. Originally was only going for a 3.1 system.
post #99 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Since you have small guage speaker wire it will be easy to slip it under the binding posts on the AVR and the speakers. Just strip 1/2 to 3/4 inch of insulation and twist the wire strands tight, tighten the binding posts on the AVR and the speakers tight and the connections will not need any attention for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post

Banana clips are convenient but not always a great connection. I've never seen professionallly installed banana clips, and depending on which type is used they can be a pain to get a tight solid connection to wires. Also, they'll loosen unless put together very tightly and when all done the sockets they plug into are not always all that snug. I use 'em but am starting to hate them.

Thanks both of you. I will skip the banana clips and just directly wire them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post

I think the ballyhoo over HDMI speed is over for a while. The HDMI governing body has gotten rid of the 1.3 or 1.4 designations and simply specifies cables that are rated "Hi-speed" for all uses. The whole controversy seems to have devolved into marketing hype. A little research (which I haven't done) should clear up the question and stop all shoppers from their search for "3D ready" or "1.4 cabable" equipment.

I have a 7.1 system with speakers all around the room. The two back speakers (rears) do get an Audyssey signal, and they are tone adjustable manually but to tell the truth I've never detected their participation in a movie sound experience. As best I can tell all they do is repeat what's coming from the two fronts and it was too loud after Audyssey. I turned them WAY down manually and it's more natural now. I might be wrong or just haven't had the right movies to enjoy the part rear speakers play, but I'd be fine without them so far and am thinking of configuring my receiver for "highs" and hanging my two rear speakers from the wall behind my TV set. I understand that highs really do add something special - at least that's what some advertising claims they do. At least the sound would come from the direction of the screen.

Does anyone stop to think that maybe we're all being sold a lot of bull? I know one thing - the more or less discriminating listening I do with my stereo system downstairs sure sounds good these days. Two channel splendor like I don't expect to hear upstairs from the "home theater" system.

Just a little confusion added to the mix.

In any purchase I believe we always sold at least some BS just for good measure. My TV for example still doesn't support some of the stuff it's supposed to support. My AVR supposedly doesn't quite work like it's supposed to either. I just discovered the actual power rating of my 1120, and I was a bit disappointed for sure. If it says 110w p/c, I expect 110w p/c x 7 -- that is not the case with my 1120, which apparently is rated at 400w max if you are using all the channels.

So yes, marketing is just that. Though, I do believe we get what we pay for. If I wanted an AVR that had a 770w p/c (7.1) amp (rms), I'm pretty sure I'd pay a LOT. So I think it's just part of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23jay_lin View Post

I'm on the same boat, recently decided to buy a surround system for my bedroom.
What I end up with is the following,
-Denon 1610(open box, like new condition from craigslist), $200
-Pair of Polk Monitor 40's for front, $110
-Pair of Polk Monitor 30's for surround, $80
-Polk CS-2 for center, $100
subtotal thus far, $590.

Now just need to get a decent sub for the polks. Which ones would you guys suggest?
My room is only a 8'x10' with a 42" TV

The Polks are so cheap right now on Newegg, couldn't resist buying them up. Originally was only going for a 3.1 system.

Nice setup.. I really had a hard time not going with polks. The only reason I went infinity was because they are said to be more musical and the port is front firing. For my situation (putting them on actual book shelves) I really would be doing the speakers and my ears a dis-service with rear firing ports. Plus I really like the frequency range on all the speakers I got, which should make for a seamless cross-over to the sub.

Those polks were such a good buy though. The rear ports were THE reason I didn't go that route.

As far as a sub, what is your budget? With such a small room you have a lot more options than I did.

post #100 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
And no, you can't use speaker wire. You have to use the RCA cable.
Ahh okay, so I can use my speaker wire that is in the wall. I'll buy 2 long RCA cables, cut one end off, strip some wire, and simply clamp it into my binding post wall plate.

That should work right?

So in the end wiring for 7.1 turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now I have 2 rear sub connections

post #101 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Nice setup.. I really had a hard time not going with polks. The only reason I went infinity was because they are said to be more musical and the port is front firing. For my situation (putting them on actual book shelves) I really would be doing the speakers and my ears a dis-service with rear firing ports. Plus I really like the frequency range on all the speakers I got, which should make for a seamless cross-over to the sub.

Those polks were such a good buy though. The rear ports were THE reason I didn't go that route.

As far as a sub, what is your budget? With such a small room you have a lot more options than I did.
My looking to spend under $300 for the sub. Had more left on my original budge since Polks are so cheap. Someone had suggested BIG F-12. Been looking at it, might end up getting that one.

On a side note, those Polk CS-2 and M 40's are much bigger than I expected. Now I have no room for them on my tv stand. I'll need to buy a bigger tv stand and move a drawer out of my room. Buying new furniture and rearranging my room just for some speakers....sigh...
post #102 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh okay, so I can use my speaker wire that is in the wall. I'll buy 2 long RCA cables, cut one end off, strip some wire, and simply clamp it into my binding post wall plate.

That should work right?

So in the end wiring for 7.1 turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now I have 2 rear sub connections

You really want to use shielded cable to the sub. The reason is that speaker wire acts as an antenna - no a big deal with passive speakers. But a subwoofer will amplify the heck out of anything that speaker wire picks up. Live with a subwoofer cable or if necessary you can buy a wireless subwoofer adapter (~$150). I use Outlaw's OW3.
post #103 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, HT is worth the re-arranging

I have heard that the Bic F-12 is a good sub, but those that have listened to both the F-12 and PL-200 say the 200 is better. Not sure what that means exactly, that just seems to be the general consensus.

I got mine for 269 shipped (PL-200).

The frequency response on the 200 is slightly better (22-200 vs 25-200) and the RMS power rating is better on the 200 as well (250RMS vs 150RMS).

Now having said all that, the F-12 would more than likely be more than sufficient for your room size and would save you some money. The PL-200 would probably really rock that room, and you'd still be under budget. Both look good (very similar).

You can always turn a sub down if it's too much Good luck choosing. I'm actually very happy to be done choosing.

post #104 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

You really want to use shielded cable to the sub. The reason is that speaker wire acts as an antenna - no a big deal with passive speakers. But a subwoofer will amplify the heck out of anything that speaker wire picks up. Live with a subwoofer cable or if necessary you can buy a wireless subwoofer adapter (~$150). I use Outlaw's OW3.

This I did not know this. Ok, I'll prepare accordingly.

I'm going to pick up a 50' coax one then, and go from there. I have seen the outlaw wireless, which is what I was talking about earlier. I'll use the cable until I can get the $$ for the OW3. Too bad I couldn't afford the Outlaw sub that comes with the wireless adapter for free

post #105 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This I did not know this. Ok, I'll prepare accordingly.

I'm going to pick up a 50' coax one then, and go from there. I have seen the outlaw wireless, which is what I was talking about earlier. I'll use the cable until I can get the $$ for the OW3. Too bad I couldn't afford the Outlaw sub that comes with the wireless adapter for free

50 feet is cheap from Monoprice. The Outlaw adapter surprised me with how well it worked. I did have to boast the gain (volume knob) on the sub about 6db but that's not a big deal. It's nice not having a cable running across my family room.
post #106 of 138 Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I actually just finished buying all my stuff from Monoprice. I did get a 50' Coax RCA cable with fancy connector (couldn't resist), 8 binding post wall plates (finally cover the speaker boxes), 3 high speed (4.1a) HDMI cables, a Toslink to Toslink in case the ARC from my TV doesn't work as some have reported, and finally a 12' single RCA cable that cost me .92 cents. I thought I'd do my experiment with it and see how it works with the speaker wire to the sub. I know not to expect much, and if it doesn't works, I'm out nothing, if it does work, it cost me .92 and some time.

I honestly can't believe how much less expensive monoprice is compared to anyone else. Especially retail. I would have spend 3 times as much if I had bought locally. Monoprice is the bomb.

Again, I can't tell you how thankful I am to all of you for your help. I am super excited about this major purchase... Now if everything would just show up I would really appreciate it

post #107 of 138 Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

We just want pictures of the new system.
post #108 of 138 Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Deal! I should have everything setup by the end of this week if everything comes in on time.

I think the waiting is going to kill me. I even declined watching a movie tonight just so I can watch it next week instead.

post #109 of 138 Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you got the "fancy" gold-tipped RCA cable, you need to be VERY careful with it when you plug it in/out at each end. There have already been two Pioneer 1120s where the subwoofer port broke due to that cable being super tight -- mine included. I ended up having to send the receiver in to get repaired.

I still use the same cable, but, like I said, you have to be really careful with it...
post #110 of 138 Old 12-18-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Crap... the bling turns out to be more of a pain then it's worth.

Thank you for the heads up. I will be very careful.

post #111 of 138 Old 12-18-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

If you got the "fancy" gold-tipped RCA cable, you need to be VERY careful with it when you plug it in/out at each end. There have already been two Pioneer 1120s where the subwoofer port broke due to that cable being super tight -- mine included. I ended up having to send the receiver in to get repaired.

I still use the same cable, but, like I said, you have to be really careful with it...

Good advice. Monoprice fancy gold sub cables vary. I've gotten some that had to be tightened with a pair of pliers and others that were perfect out of the box. The same with their banana plugs. Some were perfect and others needed a light tap on the nose to expand the tip.
post #112 of 138 Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got most of my stuff today, some of which was early.

I got the PL-200 sub. This bugger is HUGE. I knew it was big, but you really don't have a good idea of just how big it is until it's sitting in front of you. My boys really like it though. Just the size alone has them excited to watch some movies. My wife is a little nervous about it... she's not sure how something so big can also play quietly. I have assured her it can be turned down and won't rock the house so we can still watch movies when the kido's are asleep.

I got the Pio 1120. Nice looking receiver. I didn't realize how deep (long) it is, so I still hope it will fit in the spot I have for it... if not, I'll have to do some demo on the cabinet

I got exactly 1 of each Infinity speaker. 1 x P162, 1 x P152, and the center (pc350). The other 2 (P162 & P152) are still on a UPS truck somewhere. They still show as being delivered tomorrow. I sure hope they show up since they were all shipped at the same time from the same location.

I also realized that the TV (the stand) and the Center won't fit on the TV stand together. So I now need to get a wall mount for the TV. I knew the TV was too short, and already had plans to lift it, but I didn't account for how much space the Center needs, and the TV uses. So I'll try and go get something today so I can mount it later tonight. Anyone have any suggestions on a good TV wall mount?

I've got everything unboxed and sitting out so they can warm up to room temps before attempting anything.

I am supposed to get my Monoprice stuff tomorrow, so I don't have any cables yet.

I'm super excited though. Once I get everything setup, I'll shoot some pictures and post them. I also managed to get the rest of my entertainment center, which I built half of last night. I'll finish the other half tonight.

Wooo hooo. Thanks again for all of your help with this. It's coming together nicely, and I couldn't be more excited.

post #113 of 138 Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas to you!!!
post #114 of 138 Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks palehorse. You were a HUGE help, and I appreciate it.

post #115 of 138 Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Anyone have any suggestions on a good TV wall mount?

Check out Monoprice, I have purchased my wall mounts from them and have not had any issues. Very reasonable pricing.
post #116 of 138 Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM

My Polk Monitor 40s just arrived tonight (ahead of schedule as with yours) along with a roll of speaker wires.
I had set up my receiver and center speaker over the weekend and was using some boombox speakers that I had for over 15 years as front speakers for the moment. Sound was okay, there are some surround effect that I couldn't hear it when I just had 2.1 PC speakers hooked up to the TV.

But tonight I hooked up the Polks for front, oh man what a difference they made!! I can truly hear ambient sounds filling up the room while dialogues are crystal clear. Watched a NBA game and had a time of my life!!

Don't know how I ever lived without the surround system. Missed out so much.....

Anyways, still waiting for rear surround speakers (went with Polk RM7 instead of Monitor 30 due to smaller and lighter size) and BIC F-12 sub to arrive so I can truly enjoy surround sound...

Just wanted to share my experience, hope that you will be blown away with your setup just like I did.
post #117 of 138 Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPWF Vizion View Post

Check out Monoprice, I have purchased my wall mounts from them and have not had any issues. Very reasonable pricing.

+1, it's what I use for my bedroom system.
post #118 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPWF Vizion View Post

Thank you. Not sure why I didn't just look there in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23jay_lin View Post

My Polk Monitor 40s just arrived tonight (ahead of schedule as with yours) along with a roll of speaker wires.
I had set up my receiver and center speaker over the weekend and was using some boombox speakers that I had for over 15 years as front speakers for the moment. Sound was okay, there are some surround effect that I couldn't hear it when I just had 2.1 PC speakers hooked up to the TV.

But tonight I hooked up the Polks for front, oh man what a difference they made!! I can truly hear ambient sounds filling up the room while dialogues are crystal clear. Watched a NBA game and had a time of my life!!

Don't know how I ever lived without the surround system. Missed out so much.....

Anyways, still waiting for rear surround speakers (went with Polk RM7 instead of Monitor 30 due to smaller and lighter size) and BIC F-12 sub to arrive so I can truly enjoy surround sound...

Just wanted to share my experience, hope that you will be blown away with your setup just like I did.

I really hope so too. After letting everything get to room temps, I couldn't help but plug in the 2 (different) speakers, and the sub just to give it a listen with some music from my iPhone.

I will say this, it was pretty intense just for music. Sounded pretty dang good too.

I also realized that I need to read my AVR manual from cover to cover. This thing does soooo much more than I realized, and for starters I can't figure out a dang thing. I love learning new stuff, and this is just the season to do it (since work is a little slow).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

+1, it's what I use for my bedroom system.

Picket up the 3725 It should work perfectly.

post #119 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I got everything else (though I still need the TV mount, but it's ordered -- should be here Friday).

Now it's time to get everything setup. I'm sure I'll have some questions, like this one...

Question about speaker placement.

The P162's are too tall to fit on my shelves (shelves only adjust so much), so in lieu of drilling new holes to move the shelves even further, I am wondering if their would be any problem with putting the front L&R speakers on their side? I don't think their is, but I want to make sure. If it's fine to put them on their sides, would it matter if the tweeter is closer or the mid (I can do it either way) to the center of the room?

Also, typically how far apart do I want the front speakers? I was thinking that as far apart as possible, which in this case is about 12' would be best, but I'm not sure.

post #120 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Use the recommended placement angles found at the Dolby website. Also, I wouldn't lay the front L/R speakers on their sides -- I'd recommend using speaker stands instead...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page