If you had $800 to spend on speakers, sub, and receiver what would you get? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker stands are not an option, or I would have gone with floor standing speakers in the first place. I simply don't have the room on either side since my entertainment system fills the entire wall (between doors).

If putting them up-right, I will just have to either drill some new holes for the mounting holes (for the shelves) or simply remove one of the shelves (probably what I'll do, and didn't think of until right now).

Thanks for that info on the Dolby site. I've used it in the past, but I completely forgot about it. I'll break out the protractor and set the 30 degree's and see how far apart they are.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw00dy
Speaker stands are not an option, or I would have gone with floor standing speakers in the first place. I simply don't have the room on either side since my entertainment system fills the entire wall (between doors).

If putting them up-right, I will just have to either drill some new holes for the mounting holes (for the shelves) or simply remove one of the shelves (probably what I'll do, and didn't think of until right now).

Thanks for that info on the Dolby site. I've used it in the past, but I completely forgot about it. I'll break out the protractor and set the 30 degree's and see how far apart they are.
Good choices all around
post #123 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm getting confused by the Dolby setup guide. I think it's been too long since I had math.

Dolby specify 30 degree angles for the speakers, which if I understand this correctly, that would be 30 degree's from a line going from the speaker to the back wall. However, what I am trying to do, and I think I have it figured out, is figure these based on a triangle -- main listening position, and both speakers. And from the look of it, the triangle is actually an equilateral triangle (all side are the same length, and each corner is 60 degree's). I also read in my Pioneer 1120 manual (Pg 84, Chapter 12: Additional information) that the Pioneer multi-channel research group suggest pointing the front L&R 12-31" behind the actual listening position. So I need to take that into consideration.

So if my speakers are lined up horizontally with my TV (the fronts are all equally lined up) and I am exactly 9' from the front of my TV, and I want to add 12" more since I want to do what Pioneer suggests (for a total of 10') then I am going to have ~11 1/2' between each speaker and the listening position (well, 1' behind it).

Does that sound correct?

I found this tool to help me with the math: http://www.mathopenref.com/isosceles.html

I set all angles to 60 degree's and used 10 as the altitude.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #124 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw00dy View Post
or simply remove one of the shelves (probably what I'll do, and didn't think of until right now).
Stand them up or lose good sound quality. You are on the right track.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #125 of 138 Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks both of you. They will stand up-right.

post #126 of 138 Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, I'm getting confused by the Dolby setup guide. I think it's been too long since I had math.

Dolby specify 30 degree angles for the speakers, which if I understand this correctly, that would be 30 degree's from a line going from the speaker to the back wall. However, what I am trying to do, and I think I have it figured out, is figure these based on a triangle -- main listening position, and both speakers. And from the look of it, the triangle is actually an equilateral triangle (all side are the same length, and each corner is 60 degree's). I also read in my Pioneer 1120 manual (Pg 84, Chapter 12: Additional information) that the Pioneer multi-channel research group suggest pointing the front L&R 12-31" behind the actual listening position. So I need to take that into consideration.

So if my speakers are lined up horizontally with my TV (the fronts are all equally lined up) and I am exactly 9' from the front of my TV, and I want to add 12" more since I want to do what Pioneer suggests (for a total of 10') then I am going to have ~11 1/2' between each speaker and the listening position (well, 1' behind it).

Does that sound correct?

I found this tool to help me with the math: http://www.mathopenref.com/isosceles.html

I set all angles to 60 degree's and used 10 as the altitude.
Ha ha, after getting everything setup, I was way over thinking this. I used it as a guideline, but in the end room size/distances were all pretty much decided for me.

I am happy to report that this thing SOUNDS GREAT for music and videos. Not sure why some say the PL-200 isn't musical, because it sounds great to me -- but then again, I'm not an audiophile either. So for the normal Joe, this sub will work awesome. My boys all commented how they could feel the audio explosions in GI Joe. We are thrilled.

Only downer is my center channel is making some noise like something is loose or blown. We narrowed it down to the very right speaker (it has 5) in the box. It almost sounds like static. It's very annoying, so it's shut off for now and I've already got a new one coming from Crutchfield (Great customer service).

Should get my TV mount today after which I'll get some pictures since everything except my rear speaker wall mounts will be done.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I LOVE the system. Even my wife likes it.

post #127 of 138 Old 12-24-2010, 03:39 AM

Wow glad you got what you needed from the community. I'm also trying to ask similar question but have to post to make a good "introduction thread"

Nevertheless, I'm curious was your total cost in the end under 800?

That's a full set and a pretty good receiver for a very low cost. Does it match the polks well?
post #128 of 138 Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, I hear you on getting some posts. Not being able to post links (though I completely understand) is a pain.

No my total cost was NOT under $800

The total cost to my door was $1270.

In the end I couldn't get past the Pioneer Receiver. I just wanted everything it had to offer and it was expensive. Nearly half my budget ($500).

Speakers: $500 (Infinity)
AVR: $500
Sub: $270

Not sure how it would match polks since I didn't get polks. I did like the polks when I auditioned them, but the rear ports were a show stopper for me. I would say though that the polks and infinity sound similar, and if you don't care about where the speakers port is located, get the less expensive of the two.

post #129 of 138 Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

so bladerunner6 how do you like you inifinities? I think they might be a tad over my budget, and did you ever get a chance to listen to the Pios at BB? I'm going to try and listen to them in the next day or so. Wondering your thoughts if you did listen to them.

I like the Infinities. They are pretty even in performance across the audio spectrum. They have wonderful bass for a bookshelf speaker according to my wife the string bassist, and I would concur. They can get uncomfortably loud without distortion.

We were listening to "The Sing Off" and we thought the clarity of the vocal performances was excellent through the center channel PC350.

While you didn't ask about our sub, I want comment about that a bit too. So far the BIC V1220 gives good bass without being muddy, boomy or forced. I think it was a good choice for a room our size with hardwood floors. Obviously, we stuck to a budget with the sub, but it seems to have been a workable budget for us.

I am definitely pleased with the system for both music and home theater. Everybody has a different room, but for a room our size, I would recommend the Infinities with enthusiasm and without any hesitation.

Sorry about the delay in the review but it took us a while to set up the system and both of us listen to it.
post #130 of 138 Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well from the sounds of it we both agree with everything you said.

the bookshelves really do put out a good amount of base. The nice part about this is they easily integrate/mesh with the sub. Cross-over is seamless.

I do love this system, and yes, it get uncomfortably loud without distortion...

post #131 of 138 Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, this AV stuff is really taking over my life. I wake up thinking about it

To that end, I picked up another sub for cheap ($30) from a friend that buys all sorts of stuff from Pawn shops etc.

I really wanted to get a 2nd sub for better coverage and I wanted to get something a bit more musical than the PL-200 (the PL-200 sounds good to my ears though).

I got a M&K V-3B sub. It's a sealed, 12' sub, and from everything I could find about it (which wasn't much since the company went under a few years back) the sub is probably 15-20 years old. It has a 100watt RMS amp, and in my testing so far it sounds REALLY good. The bass is very tight. For music I think it sounds better than the PL-200. I was very impressed. I do have to run the gain right about to 12 o'clock though to get the same sound I am getting from the PL-200 @ at 9 o'clock. I hope that won't be a problem for it over the long haul. The bass really is a bit more crisp in this sealed unit.

My hope is that they will both compliment each other, but since I can't listen to both at the same time yet, I don't know for sure... If they suck together, I'm not out much.

It does need a little TLC though, but for $30 I can't complain. The dust cap has fallen off and will just need to be re-glued back on since it's still in good shape. The pegs for the front cover are pretty much shot -- I may or may not try to fix it... Really it's in pretty rough looking shape, but still sounds great and appears to only be cosmetic.

I believe I just need to get an RCA splitter in order to run both subs. Is that correct, and if so, will this one work --> http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

This new sub also has L&R RCA Inputs, so should I also get another splitter just like the above to accommodate both channels? I have no way of knowing if one or the other is mono.

I have really been enjoying my system. I watch waaaay more TV and Movies than I ever did before. Not sure that's a good thing, but I am enjoying it.

I still plan on getting some pictures, I just have been too busy listening to my new system to get around to it

Again, thanks for your help.

post #132 of 138 Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got everything ordered for the 2nd sub and should have it tomorrow. I also finally ordered some wall mounts for my rear speakers.

I also took the time to get some pictures.

Thanks everyone for you help with this. I REALLY like how it turned out; it sounds AWESOME.

I need to do some cable management, but otherwise I'm done.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #133 of 138 Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Looks good up front, where did you put the two subs in the room? You might want to move center channel out past front lip of shelf so no reflections off surfaces.
post #134 of 138 Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I got everything ordered for the 2nd sub and should have it tomorrow. I also finally ordered some wall mounts for my rear speakers.

I also took the time to get some pictures.

Thanks everyone for you help with this. I REALLY like how it turned out; it sounds AWESOME.

I need to do some cable management, but otherwise I'm done.

It looks really nice! I'd just move the L&R speakers froward until they stick out from the entertainment center just a little bit. That way you don't get any reflections off the shelf.
post #135 of 138 Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

Looks good up front, where did you put the two subs in the room? You might want to move center channel out past front lip of shelf so no reflections off surfaces.

The PL-200 is where it's going to be. I don't have the long cable and splitters yet (should be here tomorrow), so I'm currently running the M&K in the exact location of the PL-200 (it's sitting on top of it for now). The plan is to put the sub on the opposite side of the room next to the couch on the back wall. However, when putting the PL-200 there it was not the optimal location -- so I'm open to suggestions. I do plan on doing the crawl. As you know though, optimal locations are kind of hard to come by since this in a family room and not a dedicated HT room; I have also been veto'd on a few locations from the commander and chief

Thanks for the suggestion on the center. I actually didn't think about that, and I've actually had to increase the gain on it since we couldn't hear it very well after MCACC calibration. I will move it forward -- I was trying to align it with the FL&R's, but that won't be possible since the stand it's on is thicker than the shelves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

It looks really nice! I'd just move the L&R speakers froward until they stick out from the entertainment center just a little bit. That way you don't get any reflections off the shelf.

Thanks, I actually had considered that that might be a problem and have moved them about as far forward as I can without moving the rubber feet on the speaker. I think I'll see if I can remove the feet and see if I can move them back a few inches.

I also plan on adding books to those shelves, so that should hopefully help.

As always, thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

post #136 of 138 Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I made some adjustments and got my new sub cables/splitters. I got a scare though, as my 2nd sub (the M&K) started humming and I couldn't hear any sound. After some troubleshooting I found that the RCA gender changer is a little picky and I had to mess with it to get it to stop humming. I have located a better one and will pick it up today. But for now it's not humming any more and works as it's supposed to. I did find a new foam surround kit for the M&K sub (specifically for the M&K V-3B) which I ordered since it's got a small hole in it that I want to repair.

I moved the center channel forward, which seemed to make voices a bit more audible -- so thanks.

I moved the FL&R's forward as far as I could (I don't want my kids to hit them. The outside edge does clear the edge now, but the inside... well, it will never clear the edge. I also let the boss know that we need to get some books on the shelves which she was more than happy to do this weekend when she has more time to move her collection. I also still need to re-run MCACC since I've moved stuff around.

I have read that 2 subs are better if they are matching -- however to my ears these sound great together. The bass is a bit much for now though, and I need to dial both of them down some. The sub near the couch (though it's not touching) really shakes the couch when you are sitting on it. Not sure if that will get annoying or not, but I sure love it for now. I need to also figure out how I should run MCACC with the 2 subs. I remember reading about it, but I wasn't paying much attention since I didn't think I'd have a 2nd sub so quickly.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube to show my sub location. I should get my speaker mounts next week (Tuesday). Sorry for the quality as it was shot with my iPhone (non-4 version).

post #137 of 138 Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks awesome!
post #138 of 138 Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sholling! We are really enjoying the fruits of 2 years of hard labor (finishing the basement) and our new sound/video system.

Thanks all of you for your expertise in getting this setup so well.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page