Cerwin Vega XLS-215 - Are they really this good? - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Cerwin Vega XLS-215 - Are they really this good?

Speakers

jmichaelf's Avatar jmichaelf
10:32 AM Liked: 13
post #31 of 60
12-03-2010 | Posts: 988
What are the other pro guys doing in this arena? Mackie & JBL, specifically? Are they close in price and performance?
diamonddelts's Avatar diamonddelts
11:03 AM Liked: 15
post #32 of 60
12-03-2010 | Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

What are the other pro guys doing in this arena? Mackie & JBL, specifically? Are they close in price and performance?

JBL and Mackie have some very good pro speakers in this range but their speakers are closer to $900 a piece. They also use high compression horn tweeters and have higher low end responses of 40-60Hz. They are also two way speakers with dual 15" drivers and one horn tweeter.

Their is another pair of speakers below $1,000 that are great with music. They are the Behringer VP2520:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVP2520

They sound brilliant with music and I prefer them to my older Paradigm and B &W speakers in terms of two channel performance. My only gripe is their low end response is a bit high for my tastes. Other than that they are terrific sounding speakers. And their low price is just icing on the cake.
peterpioli's Avatar peterpioli
11:48 AM Liked: 10
post #33 of 60
12-03-2010 | Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

Define what constitutes as "sounding better" and " better value" that will apply to "most" people.

Most people who like conventional box speakers like Paradigm speakers. Most people who like horn speakers like Klipsch speakers. Most people who like electrostats like Martin Logan speakers. Pick any one of the owner's threads with thousands of replies and it will help you determine who's already made the price/performance decision and what most means.
12:58 PM Liked: 15
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli View Post
Most people who like conventional box speakers like Paradigm speakers. Most people who like horn speakers like Klipsch speakers. Most people who like electrostats like Martin Logan speakers. Pick any one of the owner’s threads with thousands of replies and it will help you determine who’s already made the price/performance decision and what most means.
Most common people have never even heard of the aformentioned speaker brands. But I don't want to drag this out and derail your thread.

You asked for other suggestions under $2,000 a pair. I think you would love the Behringer VP2520 speakers and you can get them for less than $500 a pair. They are superb with music and can get the job done with HT as long as they are paired with a good sub.
02:54 PM Liked: 10
post #35 of 60
12-03-2010 | Posts: 691
Quote:

Most common people have never even heard of the aformentioned speaker brands. But I don't want to drag this out and derail your thread.

You asked for other suggestions under $2,000 a pair. I think you would love the Behringer VP2520 speakers and you can get them for less than $500 a pair. They are superb with music and can get the job done with HT as long as they are paired with a good sub.

Thanks, the Behringer VP2520 actually looks like a good recommendation. Have you heard them? Do they make horizontal oriented speakers for a center speaker? How about smaller surround speakers that can be wall mounted?
03:16 PM Liked: 15
post #36 of 60
Quote:

Thanks, the Behringer VP2520 actually looks like a good recommendation. Have you heard them? Do they make horizontal oriented speakers for a center speaker? How about smaller surround speakers that can be wall mounted?

Yes I have heard them. They are great speakers. The Bic EV-RTR 1530 speakers would also be a low cost alternative that reportedly sound very good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-RTR-EV15-E.../dp/B003H3L76I
04:07 PM Liked: 15
post #37 of 60
MTX TP 2400 are also a good option that excel with music and are fairly dynamic HT speakers when paired with a good sub.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-806

If you can deal with their pro speaker appearance they are a good option for under $1,000 a pair price range.
08:33 AM Liked: 10
post #38 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 691
Quote:

MTX TP 2400 are also a good option that excel with music and are fairly dynamic HT speakers when paired with a good sub.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-806

If you can deal with their pro speaker appearance they are a good option for under $1,000 a pair price range.

The only problem with all these speakers is they don't offer horizontal oriented speakers for a center speaker. They don't really have much in smaller surround speakers that can be wall mounted. Cerwin Vega offer a complete home theater solution.
09:26 AM Liked: 15
post #39 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 2,055
Quote:

The only problem with all these speakers is they don't offer horizontal oriented speakers for a center speaker. They don't really have much in smaller surround speakers that can be wall mounted. Cerwin Vega offer a complete home theater solution.

The center and surrounds do not have to be from the same brand.
Fanaticalism's Avatar Fanaticalism
03:55 PM Liked: 17
post #40 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 4,394
Quote:

the center and surrounds do not have to be from the same brand.

huh?!
04:05 PM Liked: 15
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

huh?!

What?!
RonaldoCombs's Avatar RonaldoCombs
04:12 PM Liked: 11
post #42 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 2,654
Quote:

The center and surrounds do not have to be from the same brand.

The center really should be from the same series. Surrounds less so, unless you are listening to music in surround mode. A third Behringer vertically positioned would be an excellent center match (I've not heard the speaker).

Ron
04:15 PM Liked: 15
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

The center really should be from the same series. Surrounds less so, unless you are listening to music in surround mode. A third Behringer vertically positioned would be an excellent center match (I've not heard the speaker).

Ron

I know people around here are fanatical about the LCR being within the same brand but I've heard systems where the LR are not from the same brand as the Center that sounded great. Timbre matching is another hot topic usually attached to this.

To each his own. I'm getting another center made for me this year so I know it will not match my mains/surrounds. And it's going to be a monster that's for sure.
RonaldoCombs's Avatar RonaldoCombs
04:16 PM Liked: 11
post #44 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 2,654
[peterpioli
Most people who like conventional box speakers like Paradigm speakers. Most people who like horn speakers like Klipsch speakers. Most people who like electrostats like Martin Logan speakers..

QUOTE=diamonddelts;19589155]Most common people have never even heard of the aformentioned speaker brands.[/quote]
What do the common people recommend?

Ron
04:18 PM Liked: 15
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

[peterpioli
Most people who like conventional box speakers like Paradigm speakers. Most people who like horn speakers like Klipsch speakers. Most people who like electrostats like Martin Logan speakers..

QUOTE=diamonddelts;19589155]Most common people have never even heard of the aformentioned speaker brands.

What do the common people recommend?

Ron[/quote]

TV speakers. Pathetic but true. People here just seem to forget this place is the 1% of the minority. Ask anyone on the street about Paradigm, Klipsch,and Martin Logan and see what type of faces and or answers you get.
goonstopher's Avatar goonstopher
09:51 PM Liked: 14
post #46 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 4,169
I am looking at the single 12 version of these... hopefull will offer the same sound
10:37 PM Liked: 15
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I am looking at the single 12 version of these... hopefull will offer the same sound

To be honest I don't think they will give you the sound you are looking for.
10:49 PM Liked: 14
post #48 of 60
12-04-2010 | Posts: 4,169
Quote:

To be honest I don't think they will give you the sound you are looking for.

Why not? Why the change of heart on these?
11:32 PM Liked: 15
post #49 of 60
Quote:

Why not? Why the change of heart on these?

Well I'm speaking in terms of what you are coming from. If you are still looking for highly dynamic speakers like your JTR's I think the Pro 10's or Sho 10's would be a better alternative.
12:00 AM Liked: 14
post #50 of 60
12-05-2010 | Posts: 4,169
Quote:

Well I'm speaking in terms of what you are coming from. If you are still looking for highly dynamic speakers like your JTR's I think the Pro 10's or Sho 10's would be a better alternative.

I just want a wide sound stage without the harshness. I'd say a laid back dynamic speaker would be ideal

I'm even almost considering mirages for the sound stage or polk for the soft tweeter.
12:16 AM Liked: 15
post #51 of 60
12-05-2010 | Posts: 2,055
Quote:

I just want a wide sound stage without the harshness. I'd say a laid back dynamic speaker would be ideal

I'm even almost considering mirages for the sound stage or polk for the soft tweeter.

I can understand that. That's why I chose my CLS speakers. I was willing to compromise some top end dynamics with HT for a smooth, but full soundstage and solid low end. The soft dome tweeters in these speakers are great with music and will get the job done for HT. However you do lose the ability to hit those head thrashing highs of 115-130db with these types of tweeters.

Not sure how important that is to you. And I'm sure you already know this. But if you are going to join the new age CV family I would humbly suggest you go with the XLS-215's if possible. The CLS, XLS, and VE-12's have a good, clear sound but their low end lacked in my opinion.

Worse case scenario I would go with the XLS-15's for a full soundstage. But the low end sounds much smoother at high volumes with the 215 models. The single woofer models sound a bit stressed at higher volumes in my opinion.
12:38 AM Liked: 14
post #52 of 60
12-05-2010 | Posts: 4,169
Quote:

I can understand that. That's why I chose my CLS speakers. I was willing to compromise some top end dynamics with HT for a smooth, but full soundstage and solid low end. The soft dome tweeters in these speakers are great with music and will get the job done for HT. However you do lose the ability to hit those head thrashing highs of 115-130db with these types of tweeters.

Not sure how important that is to you. And I'm sure you already know this. But if you are going to join the new age CV family I would humbly suggest you go with the XLS-215's if possible. The CLS, XLS, and VE-12's have a good, clear sound but their low end lacked in my opinion.

Worse case scenario I would go with the XLS-15's for a full soundstage. But the low end sounds much smoother at high volumes with the 215 models. The single woofer models sound a bit stressed at higher volumes in my opinion.

the 12 is all I can consider and it is stretching my budget when I could easily be in range of things like energy rc50's or sho-10's by then. IMO the JTR's also held back on the highs just a bit but it worked perfectly.
Secret Squirrel's Avatar Secret Squirrel
07:01 AM Liked: 19
post #53 of 60
12-05-2010 | Posts: 2,256
Quote:

Also take into consideration on how you plan on powering these. I would not recommend powering anything larger than a CLS-10 with a receiver. For a short period of time I used pair of CLS-10's as mains and crossed them over at 80hz and my TX-SR-805 did an alright job of powering them. I have owned a pair of CLS-215's for a while now and have now moved them in as mains with dedicated amps for power. An AVR wont even crack the ice on these speakers. I moved my CLS-10's to side surround duty. Now I also have dedicated amplification for my center and side/rear surround channels and it improved the sound of all the speakers. All of the CLS line can be pretty heavy hitters as long as you don't expect an AVR to power the larger speakers. You said that you are considering a pair of XLS-12's. http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=12626

You could save a little money and get an even bigger speaker by getting a pair of CLS-15's. http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=11997 As long as you have the proper amplification for them. I own almost every CLS speaker and I have never been let down.
jaygax's Avatar jaygax
05:25 AM Liked: 16
post #54 of 60
03-29-2013 | Posts: 159
i know this thread is a couple of year ago. i just wanted to inquire if the OP has already purchased a pair of CV XLS215. if so, how was it? im drooling at the site of these monsters for 3 days now. 2 15" subs is just awesome!
my budget for the fronts is $1k more or less. so, xls215 will fit the budget right. there's a good deal for a pair of polk audio rtia9 black on ebay too for $500 each. but i prefer the in-between tweeter. so, the way i see it, CV's xls line is between polks and klipsch regarding tweeters.

to CV XLS215's owners here, please upload some pics. show off your babies please!!!!!
danbert's Avatar danbert
08:25 PM Liked: 10
post #55 of 60
10-29-2013 | Posts: 2

yes they are that good !! there the real deal and you will be receiving your eviction notice if not carefull ! my problem is that im running them passive still trying to figure out the best amp to power them with is there anyone out there who has a pair that can guide me to the best amp or tell me what your using?

jaygax's Avatar jaygax
04:52 PM Liked: 16
post #56 of 60
10-30-2013 | Posts: 159
Check out emotiva amps. Emotiva.com
cerwin xls's Avatar cerwin xls
09:22 AM Liked: 10
post #57 of 60
12-25-2013 | Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli View Post

I just read this review of the Cerwin Vega XLS-215 speakers. Are they really this good? How can they build a speaker of this size and amount of drivers for only $1198 per pair? I realize they're not the JBL Everest DD6600 or even Klipsch RF-7, but they're only $1198 per pair!

Anyone own these? How do they sound? I've very tempted to buy a pair.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...er-review.html

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio...s/xls-215.html
I own a set of these beasts what do u think a good preamp or power amp be for them
cerwin xls's Avatar cerwin xls
09:26 AM Liked: 10
post #58 of 60
12-25-2013 | Posts: 2
I own a set of xls and have a harmon reciever but i want something more for them anyone no of a good way to power them
Emig5m's Avatar Emig5m
01:45 PM Liked: 15
post #59 of 60
12-25-2013 | Posts: 935
Well I used to own the older Cerwin Vega VS-150 and I started with a Optimus AVR (re-badged Pioneer) and they played really loud and sounded pretty good. I then got a Carver TFM35x power amp and Carver CT-3 pre-amp and the sound was amazing. I didn't have to use any EQ with the Carver to have sweet highs and punchy bass like I did with the AVR. Later I wanted surround sound for movies and went through a few AVRs at different price points and they all sounded like crap with the Cerwin Vegas, even using EQ or tone adjustments. I know the older ones definitely benefited from quality components and the funny thing is how great they sounded with the Carver electronics without even touching any EQ or tone controls. Just leaving everything flat blew away all the AVRs I tried with them even when trying to use EQ or tone adjustments.
BoomBangCrash1's Avatar BoomBangCrash1
08:36 PM Liked: 10
post #60 of 60
01-09-2014 | Posts: 1

I will vouch for the 215's anyday.  Just so you know, I am a seller of these speakers, but that doesn't influence my opinion.  The XLS-215 which is the most updated line replaced the CLS-215's.  I've been selling the Vega line for over 10 years, and have YET to have one person be disappointed by the performance of the 215's.  They are definately the real deal.  Do yourself a favor and check out some youtube videos of them, or better yet try to locate a shop that will let you test them out in person.  They sound even better after broken in.  As stated before these are not Klipsch RF-7's but for the price, you cant beat em.  If money wasn't an issue I'd personally go with the Klipsch, but I don't have that luxury.  Any questions, guys let me know. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-2-Cerwin-Vega-XLS-215-Home-Theater-Floor-Standing-Tower-Speakers-DJ-/151196053928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2333fcb1a8

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread