Downsizing My Speakers - How to Sell Them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone! I have a nice Mirage 5.1 Theater System that has worked great for me over the years.

2 Front Mirage OM-6 (w/build in subs)
1 Center Mirage OM-C2
2 Rear Mirage OM-R2

Now, I have moved to a smaller place, and just don't have room to hook them up. I think I may downsize to a Soundbar or at least to something smaller. I bought these speakers when I had a 35" tube tv. Now with the 58" HDTV, there just isn't room for them!

So I have these Jumbo Speakers sitting in the corner. I would like to sell them, but I'm not sure how to do it. I could place an ad on Craigslist, but I am leery of strangers coming over to the house, and I'm not sure if people actually pay cash for large purchases like this. I don't have the original boxes anymore, and shipping would be prohibitively expensive, as these are pretty heavy. So that nixes Ebay and Classifieds.

I hate to let these sit in the corner.

How do you sell giant speakers like this?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I know this is a "snarky" comment, but no matter how small the new place, I would squeeze the Mirage's in and never even consider a crappy soundbar as a suitable replacement.

but, for towers I would not try shipping them to a buyer - If you absolutely have to sell them try Craigslist.com for a local sale
post #3 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

I know this is a "snarky" comment, but no matter how small the new place, I would squeeze the Mirage's in and never even consider a crappy soundbar as a suitable replacement.

I agree. It would be a total mismatch and seems the opposite of the way it should go. I only have a tube tv and for that reason I only have a small 2.1 system for it. It's a good match for the small tv. If I went to a large screen I'd definitely upgrade the sound to match the screen.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
craigslist - but you don't need to have the strangers at your house - agree to meet your buyer in a public place. A well lit, somewhat busy parking lot would probably be safest, like at a local mall.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

In my new family room, I have the tv in the corner, and just don't have room for tower speakers on the sides of the screen. I would have to pull the tv about 5' from the corner to make room, and the tv would effectively be in the middle of the room.

If I had a wall with enough clearance, I'd arrange the room around the tv, but I have this giant fireplace and the other walls are open doorways to other rooms. I have one wall that is all windows but hard to arrange the furniture around it. Not sure I'm explaining this well.

In my old house, I had a room with a 15' wall. Now, not so much. I'm moving in with someone and this is their house.

I'm currently listening to the built-in tv sound. Now that's worse than a ZVOX or a Def Tech Soundbar. I'd probably get one of those Def Tech ss50's.

I wish I could use the Mirage's. They are fantastic!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Put them in a white van, learn the sales pitch and stop a couple people in the parking lot.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
A few weeks back, I sold a set of Klipschorns thru craigslist .. the buyer drove 100 miles to do the deal and he rented a van as well ..

It's not hard to identify a good, honest buyer thru phone contact. Accept only cash money and have the units set up to demo .. it took longer for us to load the speakers than it did to make the deal ..

Most folks are honest and just looking for a deal .. no real need to worry about strangers in the house .. IMO anyway .. I've got $20K in gear in open sight, and the thought of being ripped off (if that's what you are worried about) never crossed my mind ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I've sold 3 sets of speakers on craigslist and gave full demos in my home to each buyer. Never felt the buyer was shady or had bad intentions. After several emails and phone calls you can tell they were just looking for a good deal.

I've also purchased speakers off CL and all the sellers met me in a public place. I have no problem either way.

I just felt it was easier for me to sell my products with a demo first.

The things I purchased were priced so low I felt the sellers didn't know the value of them. they just wanted to get rid of the speakers. I researched each product online before buying and then checked out the condition of the speaker before handing out the money.

Afro GT
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 AM

Overall I've had good luck with Craigslist - buying/selling stuff or paying for someone's services (the legal kind that is, NOT the illegal kind!!!!) If you follow a few simple rules that are posted on the website, you should be fine. Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend taking cash only and not a check.

Or, you could always keep the speakers until you get a new place......
post #10 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

To be honest i would make them fit,no matter what size room u have.You'll have regrets if you dont.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I bet you could fit the towers directly off of the sides of the tv and the center directly above or below. You would only take like two or three feet more of horizontal space. You don't have to use the surrounds for now. Probably not optimal placement for the speakers but will destroy a soundbar. If you really must sell them I have purchased and sold on craigslist and never had a problem. I doubt I will ever be the first owner of any speakers again after finding bargains on the used market. I will not buy without a thorough demo to make sure functioning as new.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM

I'd hold on to those speakers as others have suggested. Audiogon is a great place to sell equipment.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
krs

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleeter View Post

Hello Everyone! I have a nice Mirage 5.1 Theater System that has worked great for me over the years.

2 Front Mirage OM-6 (w/build in subs)
1 Center Mirage OM-C2
2 Rear Mirage OM-R2

Now, I have moved to a smaller place, and just don't have room to hook them up. I think I may downsize to a Soundbar or at least to something smaller. I bought these speakers when I had a 35" tube tv. Now with the 58" HDTV, there just isn't room for them!

So I have these Jumbo Speakers sitting in the corner. I would like to sell them, but I'm not sure how to do it. I could place an ad on Craigslist, but I am leery of strangers coming over to the house, and I'm not sure if people actually pay cash for large purchases like this. I don't have the original boxes anymore, and shipping would be prohibitively expensive, as these are pretty heavy. So that nixes Ebay and Classifieds.

I hate to let these sit in the corner.

How do you sell giant speakers like this?

Thanks for your help.

Where ARE you?

Ebay has a local listing mechanism that only shows up in your specified area allows you to specify local pickup. It doesn't put the listing out into the general market and as far as I know it's free to use.

I sold a partscar - a rolling frame with it and it was shown only within my state.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 AM

Another thing to do with Craigslist is ask the potential buyer for a $20 refundable deposit via PayPal. This way you get some further contact information and you lose the flakes. Nothing like sitting around all day waiting to demo for a no-show.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page