Paradigm Speakers - Too old? Too big? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello:

I have an odd question. I purchased a full setup of Paradigm speakers 13 years ago. They are a little bigger than I would like at this stage in my life (little kids pulling at cords, etc.).

Are newer speakers better? Obviously in other technologies (e.g. Video, Audio, etc.) 13 years is ancient. How about speakers? Am I better off getting rid of my Monitor 3s, CC-350, etc. and trading them in for something newer and smaller?? What sacrifice am I making?

Thanks,
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie117 View Post

Hello:

I have an odd question. I purchased a full setup of Paradigm speakers 13 years ago. They are a little bigger than I would like at this stage in my life (little kids pulling at cords, etc.).

Are newer speakers better? Obviously in other technologies (e.g. Video, Audio, etc.) 13 years is ancient. How about speakers? Am I better off getting rid of my Monitor 3s, CC-350, etc. and trading them in for something newer and smaller?? What sacrifice am I make?

Although speakers do improve, The changes are not nearly as drastic as in avr's or tv's.

Smaller generally means less bass, thou running a sub solves that for most full sized bookhelves.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Understanding I'll lose a little . . . what center speaker can I get to replace my Paradigm CC-350? I need to fit in a piece of furniture that will allow me to get a bigger TV . I have 6 Inches X 21.5 inches. Nothing in the Paradigm world seems to fit. Do I go Polk? PSB? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
post #4 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Doug,
I found this thread while doing some digging for a similar answer.
My cc 350 just doesn't sound like I remember it sounding.
I have mini Monitors for LR, and the 350 for the center.
These speakers really don't have many hours on them, even though they were bought in '98.
I have an old Onkyo TS-DS 777 that also has low hours on it. Maybe the Onk is loosing some oomph? It just sounds like dialogue is not as clear as it should be.
What did you end up doing?

Terry
post #5 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Understanding I'll lose a little . . . what center speaker can I get to replace my Paradigm CC-350? I need to fit in a piece of furniture that will allow me to get a bigger TV . I have 6 Inches X 21.5 inches. Nothing in the Paradigm world seems to fit. Do I go Polk? PSB? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

I had almost the exact same limitation for a center channel opening (6"x22"). You are correct that Paradigms are out of the question unless you go down to the Cinema series (which I didn't personally care for). I ended up buying a Totem Dreamcatcher center and a pair of Totem Mite bookshelf speakers for my mains. The Dreamcatcher center will fit your spot perfectly without having to go down to a very small center channel. This setup combined with an old sub sounds better than the Energy towers and center channel that they replaced.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks,
Doug

Did you see Paradigm's Millenia One's?

http://www.paradigm.com/products/par...niaone-systems
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page