Who makes the finest full range loudspeaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who manufactures the finest Large Full Range Speaker?

I am curious what everyone’s favorite large floor standing loudspeaker may be?
I would like to concentrate on the big speakers for this particular discussion.
I would love to hear comparisons, pros, cons, endorsements or criticism of each. I would like to hear how they compare against each other. I would love to hear suggestions on other large speakers that I didn’t happen to mention on the list.

Criteria:
Floor standing
Full usable frequency range ~30hz and up.
A height of at least ~40” and taller.
A bass driver of at least 8” in diameter.
No DIY custom or commercial.

My short list:
B&W 800D

YG anat reference II

Focal Grand Utopia

Revel Salon II

Dynaudio Evidence Master

PSB Platinum T8

Wilson Alexandria II

Martin Logan Summit X

Klipsch Palladium. $20,000

Im not so much interested in the DIY projects here. Im more interested in the already manufactured speaker that any person would be able to buy (of course considering if they have the available funds. The point is availability)

I also understand this comparison is subjective. Imagine the speakers highest potential when set up with its ideal electronics. They are all fairly large so a large room should be an understood common variable from the start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Find a shop that carries these speakers. It might be kind of hard. You might have to go to the manufacturer directly for some. The 800D is probably the smallest of the group. And maybe the cheapest?
Not to sound rude but, do you have the means for purchasing these? I would love to hear the Focals!
At these economies of scale, it probably comes down to which one looks good to you. Let us know which ones you get!
Re reading your post, I see we are playing fantasy speakers!
My vote is on the Focals. Although for funky looks, there was a German Physiks model that was really cool!
My next vote would be the Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl. Because they are huge and they are attainable by most on the used market!

Sounds good!
post #3 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio View Post

Find a shop that carries these speakers. It might be kind of hard. You might have to go to the manufacturer directly for some. The 800D is probably the smallest of the group. And maybe the cheapest?
Not to sound rude but, do you have the means for purchasing these? I would love to hear the Focals!
At these economies of scale, it probably comes down to which one looks good to you. Let us know which ones you get!
Re reading your post, I see we are playing fantasy speakers!
My vote is on the Focals. Although for funky looks, there was a German Physiks model that was really cool!
My next vote would be the Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl. Because they are huge and they are attainable by most on the used market!

Oh trust me. They sound worlds apart. They all have some great characteristics and some bad ones too. Im looking forward to the feedback on them.

YG is the Hardest to find. Colorado is about the closest place for me (2000 miles). The rest are within a days drive.

The PSB is the most cost effective. Then Martin Logan / B&W / Revel. The prices quickly shoot up to 6 figures from there. Believe it or not some of my favorites are around the 20k mark and not the 100k mark.

Focals are fantastic. I originally thought the Berilium tweeter would be bunch of hooey but no. It is that good. Even the Focal Chorus series has a super detailed and smooth top end.

Im right with you on the Polks. We used to call them the refrigerators when they were being sold locally. Walk in the room and it was awe inspiring to behold them. They actually sounded very good too. Did you know they actually sell for as much used as what they did new 24 years ago? Not even Mcintosh can say that. Polk should bring back the classic SDA SRS.
post #4 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 AM

For a truly full-range speaker with money not being much of a problem... I'd definitely want to hear Dynaudio's Consequence rather than Evidence series. With the bottom end at a very low 17Hz, that's one pair of speakers you don't need to use subs with.
post #5 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih View Post

For a truly full-range speaker with money not being much of a problem... I'd definitely want to hear Dynaudio's Consequence rather than Evidence series. With the bottom end at a very low 17Hz, that's one pair of speakers you don't need to use subs with.

Dynaudios play ridiculously deep. Even a bookshelf with a single 6" driver can scare you. It sounds like it has a 10" hiding somewhere inside.

The one you speak of is a special edition with 2 12" woofers. Over 50" tall. Very impressive. A Dynaudio I have not had the pleasure of hearing.
post #6 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Arvus Prerenaissance
Frequency response: 17Hz – 43kHz +/- 1dB
Maximum continuous output: 120dB
Total height: 2.25M
Depth at base: 940mm
Plinth width: 700mm
Total weight: 348kg each
http://www.arvusloudspeakers.com/pre..._overview.html

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #7 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Gooki,

This is the reason I start threads. I start seeing things I never knew exsisted. Very nice.

Have you heard them?
post #8 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 AM

Liked: 36
These "who's the best" threads are pretty ridiculous but still fun.

Peak Consult Dragons?...
http://www.peak-consult.dk/

Magico Ultimate II or M5 or Model6?...
http://magico.net/Company/index.php

JBL DD66000 Everest II?...
http://www.jbl.com/EN-GB/Products/Pa...?PID=DD66000EB

B&W Nautilus?...
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake.../Overview.html

Just some ideas
post #9 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch View Post

Believe it or not some of my favorites are around the 20k mark and not the 100k mark.

Oh, I believe it. I also believe you could throw some models in that are only a few thousand dollars and in a blind test they would be chosen by more people than we care to admit.

These "elite" speakers have to be one of the biggest rackets going. I haven't experienced the six figure options, but have a few in the 30-40k range...and just didn't get it.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #10 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Oh, I believe it. I also believe you could throw some models in that are only a few thousand dollars and in a blind test they would be chosen by more people than we care to admit.

These "elite" speakers have to be one of the biggest rackets going. I haven't experienced the six figure options, but have a few in the 30-40k range...and just didn't get it.

Yes. There are a lot of rackets. A lot of equipment that just doesnt sound like it costs. I have encountered this many many times.

The Focal and the Dynaudio are not only expensive but they sound expensive. They are good.

Im curious what you heard that was not up to the cost?

Thanx.
post #11 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

First that comes to mind is the Watt Puppy. Don't get me wrong...very nice, but not much worth the cost difference over something like...say, Paradigm Studio 100's. I'm sure others will disagree, but....hey, that's audio!

Construction Thread
post #12 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass View Post

These "who's the best" threads are pretty ridiculous but still fun.

Peak Consult Dragons?...
http://www.peak-consult.dk/

Magico Ultimate II or M5 or Model6?...
http://magico.net/Company/index.php

JBL DD66000 Everest II?...
http://www.jbl.com/EN-GB/Products/Pa...?PID=DD66000EB

B&W Nautilus?...
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake.../Overview.html

Just some ideas

Nice choices. I like the Dragons a lot. Magico is great one too. I will have the opportunity to audition them next month. They have aluminum enclosures as do the YG's.

I also missed the new Klipsch speaker that is 30k.

These threads are the best. They result in a lot of exposure to new product people dont normally think about.

Thanx for the additions.
post #13 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

First that comes to mind is the Watt Puppy. Don't get me wrong...very nice, but not much worth the cost difference over something like...say, Paradigm Studio 100's. I'm sure others will disagree, but....hey, that's audio!

Funny you say that. It can be argued that Wilson makes the best cabinets and uses the best drivers of anyone. Every component is of extreme quality. But then when you hear them it seems something is missing. I have heard Wilsons(Watt Puppy, Maxx, and Grand slam) on Mcintosh, Krell, Audio Research, and Classe. Not Impressed. It just seems as though the music is stuck inside of them. I know that I will get hate mail over this but I agree with you 100% on the Wilsons. To me the 20k Revel was far superior in every way.

The Wilson is a highly regarded speaker by many. That is why I put them on the list. Sadly, they would be my last pick on the list.
post #14 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I heard a pair of Wilsons once at a dealer (I think the same one as the picture above with the square/boxy look) and frankly, I'd pass.

I then heard their B&W showcase system.... pass again, although I LOVED the bazillion dollars worth of McIntosh they were using!

Here's affordable (under $7K/pair) and killer sound, especially if you want dymamics.
LL
post #15 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 AM

Liked: 26
I'm very interested in the Salk Soundscapes

http://www.salksound.com/soundscape12%20%20images.htm

post #16 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the days of conspicuous consumption are behind us. With that in mind, (used) Salon 1 or 2 and PSB T8 are the best choices on your list. The Salons IMHO are among the best speakers availalable at any price.
post #17 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How about Danley SH50's or something from Meyer (X-10 or Archeron)?
Seaton Catalysts would also be a great choice.

(I agree with matti).
post #18 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 AM
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post

I think the days of conspicuous consumption are behind us..

Maybe so, but that's one of the beauties of sound equipment - it doesn't need to be conspicuous.
post #19 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post

I think the days of conspicuous consumption are behind us.

I don't think so.... we have short memories. The people that caused this "condition" haven't learned anything. I know several families in my personal circle that have gone through multiple bankruptcies and are STILL heading down that road today.

Construction Thread
post #20 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM

http://www.sunnycable.com/index.htm

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak010708.shtml

Sunny Cable Technology H3W18

Description: 3-Way system with bass reflect woofer and horn-loaded mid and high frequency drivers.
Frequency Response: 20 to 45,000 Hz
(-10dB: 15 to 100,000 Hz)
Sensitivity: 96 dB
Mid-Range Horn: 16.5 (42 cm diameter) and weighing 77 lbs (35 Kg). Original design with innovative material.
Mid-Range Driver: Compression driver with 4 voice coil, 110 mm diaphragm, neodymium magnet, 2 exit.
High Freq. Driver: 10 cm supertweeter with machine-milled pure brass housing and magnesium diaphragm.
Woofer: 18 bass reflect design. 4 voice coil. 450 watts power handling capability.
Crossover: Special design using the best commercially available components known for their fast speed and long term reliability. Unique design to balance the speed among drivers. Fully shielded and grounded.
Adjustments: Supertweeter: 4 dB levels in 8 steps.
Mid-Range: 3 dB levels in 6 steps.
Internal Wiring: Patent pending Time-Accurate cable design. Fully shielded and grounded.
Binding Posts: 7 total including one for grounding. Twi-wire and tri-amp connections possible. Unique design using the posts as clips only and not for conducting. Conductors are brought to the outside for direct contact with
speaker wire terminals. Binding posts are extra large, widely spaced for ease of connecting; and gold plated for beauty and durability.
Cabinet: Highest quality MDF with thickness ranging from 1 to 3. 3-piece modular design: mid and high frequency units secured together as one, bass unit and stand as the other two.
Finish: Black piano finish on all six sides.
Dimensions: Overall 74 H x 26 W x 29 D. (188 cm H x 66 cm W x 74 cm D)
Weight: Approx. 660 lbs (300Kg).
Remarks: This loudspeaker design is based on the same Time-Accurate cable design principle. Only the fastest, most accurate and technically advanced drivers of the highest quality are chosen, without regard to cost. The design took 10 years to refine and cumulated into a loudspeaker with complete integration of all drivers, capable of reproducing recorded material with unprecedented accuracy, realism and dynamics.
List Price: $88,000 a pair. Made in U.S.A.

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #21 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I don't think so.... we have short memories. The people that caused this "condition" haven't learned anything. I know several families in my personal circle that have gone through multiple bankruptcies and are STILL heading down that road today.

I know too many rich people still making tons of money and spending even more.

Premium brands seldom take a hit like the mid range price tag brands. The rich still get to buy their toys and the rest struggle even more.

I have heard 1/2 of those brands listed in the OPs post and all of them have failed to meet my requirements.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #22 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I come from a different school. Even if I had the means to buy these six figure speakers, I wouldn't. The law of deminishing returns applies to speakers very well. I would be very happy with some Focal Diablo Utopias and a Paradigm Sub 15. That would be under $20k.

Sounds good!
post #23 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The sunny cable speaker is interesting and I have read about it before. It has many my requirements and we are specing out large waveguides in DIY forum right now for the ultimate waveguide build. We can best that speaker easily and keep the $87K in the bank

According to Geddes this is the best designed speaker EVER

Updated pics here....

http://www.gedlee.com/

Geddes obviously does not spend the $$$ on looks

post #24 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

What are those?

Sounds good!
post #25 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Those are Geddes designs. Best sounding and best measured speaker in the world, just ask Dr. Geddes

post #26 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch View Post

Even the Focal Chorus series has a super detailed and smooth top end.

One of the best that I have heard at its price point.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #27 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

According to Geddes this is the best designed speaker EVER

Updated pics here....

http://www.gedlee.com/

Geddes obviously does not spend the $$$ on looks

The designers on HGTV will find a place to cover them up.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #28 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If I had the money...
post #29 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM

post #30 of 130 Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

If I had the money...

I am with you on these. I heard them at the RMAF and was totally impressed with them. I love the look and the sound was so nice. The price tag wasnt so nice though.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page