Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system mainly because cnet.com recommends it very highly. I replaced old speakers that I had from an Onkyo system purchased 4 years ago which came with 7.1 speakers and a receiver (I replaced the receiver with the Denon AVR 791 sometime back but held on to the speakers till now).

I have two questions:

a) Are the Energy speakers better than the old Onkyo ones even though the Onkyos are bigger in size?

b) Which is the better option: combining the Energy speakers for front, center and surround with two of the old Onkyo for surround back or just use Energy as a 5.1 system ignoring surround back altogether?

My living room is ~ 25ft (Length) by 16 ft (Width). The surround and surround back speakers are next to each other at two ends of my living room (the longer side). It is difficult to have a separate mount or space for the surround backs.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-25-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumuserid View Post

I recently bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system mainly because cnet.com recommends it very highly. I replaced old speakers that I had from an Onkyo system purchased 4 years ago which came with 7.1 speakers and a receiver (I replaced the receiver with the Denon AVR 791 sometime back but held on to the speakers till now).

I have two questions:

a) Are the Energy speakers better than the old Onkyo ones even though the Onkyos are bigger in size?

b) Which is the better option: combining the Energy speakers for front, center and surround with two of the old Onkyo for surround back or just use Energy as a 5.1 system ignoring surround back altogether?

Thanks

yes the energy speakers are better. You can use the onkyo as rear surrounds though.... What is the L x W x H of your viewing room?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. My living room is ~ 25ft by 16 ft. The surround and surround back speakers are next to each other at two ends of my living room (the longer side). It is difficult to have a separate mount or space for the surround backs.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumuserid View Post

Thanks for the reply. My living room is ~ 25ft by 16 ft. The surround and surround back speakers are next to each other at two ends of my living room (the longer side). It is difficult to have a separate mount or space for the surround backs.

That is a huge room for the energy takes.... Might want to think about using both the subwoofers as the small energy take sub will struggle just like your htib sub

In your situation you would be better off getting two floor standers and matching center but it's too late now
post #5 of 7 Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. How do I connect both the Subs? I have a Denon 791 as my receiver. I see one Sub out on the Denon which I have connected to the Energy sub.

Also, will increasing the channel level of the sub help? Currently it is set at +0.5 based on Audyssey MultEQ auto set up.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 AM

You aren't getting any benefit of 7.1 vs 5.1 with the speakers next to one another.

You can connect the two subs by using a y-connector on the sub out.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

anyone have a single black take 5 five speaker to sell. If so PM me.

PSN: Biggsmooth
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page