Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

aah, thanks. I ordered my 1st batch directly from Orange County Speaker but bought from eBay on my 2nd since they were out of stock.

Mine were also directly from Orange County speaker. I put my email on the notification list and as soon as they came in I ordered a set. I debated going through amazon but they didn't have the quantity I needed (too many).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

No, the seller was not "rhinofast." You only sell direct? What about Amazon.com?

Would you mind telling me who the seller was? I just want to make sure there aren't other counterfeit plugs being sold.

We do sell most of our products through Amazon as well.

Eric
post #273 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissell View Post

Eric,

Is there anything different about them besides the logo change?

Hi Kissell,

It's mainly cosmetic changes, new packaging, and we're including a screwdriver now if you order 20 or more plugs.

Eric
LL
LL
post #274 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

You ordered from Nakamichi Plug.com as well? damn...they said 10 days....from Hong Kong...but I hope it's not that long. it's already been a week.

Yes and it's been a month as of today!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #275 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS Audio View Post

Would you mind telling me who the seller was? I just want to make sure there aren't other counterfeit plugs being sold.

We do sell most of our products through Amazon as well.

Eric

The guy claims he bought them off Amazon via Orange County Speaker and I believe him--he has no other items for sale and has sold a total of 9 items in his eBay history. His eBay handle is "ericsunda."

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #276 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:

The guy claims he bought them off Amazon via Orange County Speaker and I believe him--he has no other items for sale and has sold a total of 9 items in his eBay history. His eBay handle is "ericsunda."

I'm Eric Sunda, but that's not me on eBay. I sent you a PM.
post #277 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm Eric Sunda, but that's not me on eBay. I sent you a PM.

Sorry, Eric--I assumed you would realize I was just joking with you. The eBay seller was not "eric sunda", and if you see my posts you'll realize I'm a strong advocate of your products.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #278 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Sorry, Eric--I assumed you would realize I was just joking with you. The eBay seller was not "eric sunda", and if you see my posts you'll realize I'm a strong advocate of your products.

Ahh, ok. You got me.

We appreciate your business and positive support of our products.

Take care,
Eric
post #279 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh, ok. You got me.

We appreciate your business and positive support of our products.

Take care,
Eric

Just giving you a hard time because I didn't get my free screwdriver on my last 20 plug purchase!

post #280 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Just giving you a hard time because I didn't get my free screwdriver on my last 20 plug purchase!

Hey, we're using the Apple strategy where they expect you to buy a new iPod or iPhone when they come out with a new model every 6 months. And it works for them!
post #281 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
well, if the GLS audio banana's, spades, locking plugs are as good as you all say i'll happily give them my endorsement and use them on my "Evil Cables" but...if they are not you can, as always, expect me to say so. I do not pull punches, and I always tell it like it is, even if it pisses some off. I look forward to getting some GLS connectors to try out. :-)
post #282 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well, if the GLS audio banana's, spades, locking plugs are as good as you all say i'll happily give them my endorsement and use them on my "Evil Cables" but...if they are not you can, as always, expect me to say so. I do not pull punches, and I always tell it like it is, even if it pisses some off. I look forward to getting some GLS connectors to try out. :-)

I was fairly happy with the first batch of GLS plugs I worked with. The only issue I had was that the set screw threads on one or two of the bananas was stripped. As far as I know if the thread is stripped the banana is rendered useless as there's no way to properly secure the bare wire.

post #283 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Fortunately I didn't have any stripped set screws in my batch of twelve. I do like the locking banana connectors, but one suggestion I would like would be a way make sure the set screw ensures full contact with the wire. A few times while tightening down the screws, the 12ga copper wire would push off to the side and not be tightened down. If there was a way to change the mechanism so that no matter the size of the wire, it would always tighten down nicely, that would be nice. I know this is a minor nitpick.
post #284 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post

Fortunately I didn't have any stripped set screws in my batch of twelve. I do like the locking banana connectors, but one suggestion I would like would be a way make sure the set screw ensures full contact with the wire. A few times while tightening down the screws, the 12ga copper wire would push off to the side and not be tightened down. If there was a way to change the mechanism so that no matter the size of the wire, it would always tighten down nicely, that would be nice. I know this is a minor nitpick.

I agree, or make the make the hole/screw slightly bigger so it makes better contact with the bare wire. Also if you happen to drop the world's smallest screw on carpet or a rug good luck finding it.

post #285 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Here are some pics from my finished cables with the GLS locking banana connectors. The bottom pictures are connected to my B&W CM9s. I chose to cut the extra length off the wire pant boots because I felt it looked disproportional.

(click to enlarge)

post #286 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

nice work, Handruin!

post #287 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks! However, credit must go to Pure-Evil for showing me the path. :-)
post #288 of 3572 Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some pics from my finished cables with the GLS locking banana connectors. The bottom pictures are connected to my B&W CM9s. I chose to cut the extra length off the wire pant boots because I felt it looked disproportional.

(click to enlarge)

Those look awesome! Great job!!!
post #289 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! However, credit must go to Pure-Evil for showing me the path. :-)

You are more than welcome. I've always been a big believer in helping out those in the community...and this was just another way I could help.
post #290 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 AM

How do the locking plugs compare to the safe connects? Those locking ones sure are pretty.
Anyone put an ohmmeter on any of the plugs?
Could you guys do a quick measurement with an ohmmeter?

I bought and measured the nakamichi ones, and after seeing the results (19 to 21 ohms each).... I'm considering going the no plug route.
post #291 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 AM

How did you measure the resistance? Did you measure just the plug without the wire? If you used it with the wire, what gauge was the wire? Also, how long was the wire and what was the resistance of the wire without the plug?
post #292 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM

No wire, I measured from the screws tightened down onto a probe, then a few different positions on the "banana" portion of the plug. This was done on a fluke meter.
post #293 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post

How do the locking plugs compare to the safe connects? Those locking ones sure are pretty.
Anyone put an ohmmeter on any of the plugs?
Could you guys do a quick measurement with an ohmmeter?

I bought and measured the nakamichi ones, and after seeing the results (19 to 21 ohms each).... I'm considering going the no plug route.

Interesting - I didn't know that you could measure it! Would you happen to have any Monoprice plugs around? I'd be interested to know about those...
post #294 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM

I would love to megger it. I might be able to get access to one, give a more accurate reading. 20 ohm average on a plug is ALOT. Megger would help with a bit of extra voltage. I dont have the monoprice ones, I would like to test them + gls versions too. I have a old set of audio quest which measure much better though. I might just skip the messing around for a bit and just go the direct wire route, ill still use the "techflex" + wire boots though.
post #295 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post

I would love to megger it. I might be able to get access to one, give a more accurate reading. 20 ohm average on a plug is ALOT. Megger would help with a bit of extra voltage. I dont have the monoprice ones, I would like to test them + gls versions too. I have a old set of audio quest which measure much better though. I might just skip the messing around for a bit and just go the direct wire route, ill still use the "techflex" + wire boots though.

Docks,

Something is not right in your testing method. ANY banana plug should be 0 ohms. The entire banana plug is one conductor, so you can't really even measure the ohms on it. If you put your two probes anywhere on the plug this would be a dead short on your meter and should measure 0. A banana plug is not a resistor.

Maybe you could post more detailed information about your testing method?

Thanks,
Eric
post #296 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
krs

Quote:

I have not looked into customized cable pants yet...but I'm thinking about it. I am really anxious about getting these Nakamichi plugs...I really hope they show up soon!!!

I received my package of Nakamichi plugs last Thursday, Jan 27. I had ordered them the day after the link was first posted in this thread.

It takes a while to get things from Hong Kong and it's not always, or is never within the seller's ability to control, so if you order from there set aside a minimum of three weeks before even thinking that your item MIGHT be late or waylaid. Think "Slow boat from China".

I've bought several wristwatches from a particular seller there who always sends notice of shipping date. Following that notice the wait has varied from as little as six days to as much as a month. It's just the price you pay for such good deals sometimes. Also, there are 'holidays' there that may not coincide with ours. Twice he's mentioned something about some kind of holiday which he said might delay processing. I didn't ask for details as I stay relaxed in any overseas transactions no matter whether it's Europe, Russia, or Asia.

The seller of these plugs emailed asking where I'd heard of them and him. I sent him a link to this thread. I wasn't sure but had a feeling that his inquiry seemed a little harried so maybe the sudden increase in orders generated by our thread put him under a supply pressure. He didn't complain or anything like that but these kinds of threads can be great unpaid advertising for a seller even if they put a temporary squeeze on his business model.
post #297 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ya i'm not sweating the wait too much...but I really do hope they get here soon. I'm really looking forward to getting some better plugs. If these are not up to snuff i'll order some of the new GLS ones.
post #298 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I think my nak plugs are coming on a boat that sank. one thing I also noticed is that It's been over a month to get some techflex from furryletter on ebay. I got most of my orders but I'm still waiting on a few more. I buy watches from tokyoflash quite often and they are here withing 3 business days no matter what from Toyko. Thats the way it should always be! LOL I wish.

I also will have three 6.5 foot lengths of canareS411 left over from my cables, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to use it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #299 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I think my nak plugs are coming on a boat that sank. one thing I also noticed is that It's been over a month to get some techflex from furryletter on ebay. I got most of my orders but I'm still waiting on a few more. I buy watches from tokyoflash quite often and they are here withing 3 business days no matter what from Toyko. Thats the way it should always be! LOL I wish.

I also will have three 6.5 foot lengths of canareS411 left over from my cables, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to use it.

I'm a bit shocked that it's taken so long for you to get your shipment from Furryletters. I've ordered from him a few times and the delivery has been in a matter of days. Have you contacted him via cell? I was about to place another order with him but now I'm having second thoughts. I also feel like crap since I strongly recommended him, and for that I apologize.

post #300 of 3572 Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I'm a bit shocked that it's taken so long for you to get your shipment from Furryletters. I've ordered from him a few times and the delivery has been in a matter of days. Have you contacted him via cell? I was about to place another order with him but now I'm having second thoughts. I also feel like crap since I strongly recommended him, and for that I apologize.

I ordered my techflex from him via eBay and it got to me in about 3-4 days. I had no issues. This was a couple weeks ago.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monoprice , Harmon Kardon , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page