Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #3571 of 3585 Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Finished Product. 15 foot Left and Right cable.

I found that the cables lie flatter if you trim off 1 1/4 inches from the lower 2 inputs. My subsequent cables look better and lay more natural.
cableguy301 and novisnick like this.

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva XMC-1
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2 S2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)

Last edited by Morfious; 08-30-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3585 Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very nice, have to make something similar for a subwoofer connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
New computer system speaker cables:

Parts: Esoteric Audio "Isopath" jacketed wire (14AWG solid core twisted pair in Teflon with PVC outer jacket - really annoying to work with for long runs, but fine here...too bad I have like 200' of the stuff), carbon Techflex, heat shrink (I find "cable pants" annoying), Audioquest bananas* on amp end, Neutrik Speakon NL4FC (original model) on speaker end.

*Unfortunately, the binding posts on my Pro-Ject Amp Box SE are not designed for spades, and I'm not willing to modify the amp to use a proper Speakon connector. So I was stuck with either bananas or bare solid core wire that could break if flexed too much. So I went with bananas. I picked these particular parts because I had them on hand and they meet my minimum requirements for use with this wire (double set screw, insulated barrel). Otherwise there's nothing special about them. Since my speakers are bespoke obviously they have proper Neutrik Speakon jacks, bypassing that kludge we call "binding posts." Speakons are massively superior in every relevant and material way. More people should use them.

I see the atoms free and fine,

That bubble like a sparkling wine;
I see the songs Electrons sing,
Jumping from ring to outer ring;
              - Lister, The Physicist
post #3573 of 3585 Old 08-06-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Anyone used this Auvio wire from Radioshack? From what I have read it has excellent build quality and is more substantial than Monoprice wire.

Thinking of picking up some of this and making some DIY cables for my front speakers. Just need to figure out what size techflex and pants to get. Also, do I need to have a heat gun for the heatshrink material or is there another option?

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3574 of 3585 Old 08-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The Monoprice wire has a PVC jacket that is round and makes good looking round tech flex covered wire. The pictured wire doesn't. Just a FYI.
darthray likes this.

post #3575 of 3585 Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
The Monoprice wire has a PVC jacket that is round and makes good looking round tech flex covered wire. The pictured wire doesn't. Just a FYI.

you want round like this.. if you want premium cables..

post #3576 of 3585 Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM

back to work summer is over !!!!

premium quad 12awg cable, bi wired, with premium nymax cover, sewell dead bolts and gold plated copper spades..

post #3577 of 3585 Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 PM

DS-21 likes this.
post #3578 of 3585 Old 09-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post
Awesome speaker cables eh?!!! They look like a million bucks but cost a fraction!!! Don't get sucked in!!!

12 guage monoprice wire monoprice banana plugs knukonceptz cable pants and tech flex from eBay seller FurryLetters!!! Great deal!!!! And yes they are long!!! 50ft That is just ONE cable LOL I told you my room is BIG!
Very nice. BTW, for readers of this thread, KnuKonceptz also makes/sells good basic cables, very flexible (high strand count). Comparable to monoprice in costs. On Ebay/Amazon, you can get very durable bananas/spades through Orange County Speaker, they are a reseller, forget who the original manufacturer is but you can buy from them as well.
Have also used the cable pants from KnuKonceptz. Nice touch, and they increase the propagation velocity to at least 2X the speed of light.
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #3579 of 3585 Old 09-09-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
On Ebay/Amazon, you can get very durable bananas/spades through Orange County Speaker, they are a reseller, forget who the original manufacturer is but you can buy from them as well.
GLS Audio, nice plugs.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #3580 of 3585 Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
New computer system speaker cables:

Parts: Esoteric Audio "Isopath" jacketed wire (14AWG solid core twisted pair in Teflon with PVC outer jacket - really annoying to work with for long runs, but fine here...too bad I have like 200' of the stuff), carbon Techflex, heat shrink (I find "cable pants" annoying), Audioquest bananas* on amp end, Neutrik Speakon NL4FC (original model) on speaker end.

*Unfortunately, the binding posts on my Pro-Ject Amp Box SE are not designed for spades, and I'm not willing to modify the amp to use a proper Speakon connector. So I was stuck with either bananas or bare solid core wire that could break if flexed too much. So I went with bananas. I picked these particular parts because I had them on hand and they meet my minimum requirements for use with this wire (double set screw, insulated barrel). Otherwise there's nothing special about them. Since my speakers are bespoke obviously they have proper Neutrik Speakon jacks, bypassing that kludge we call "binding posts." Speakons are massively superior in every relevant and material way. More people should use them.
Now that is some quality stuff! Looks great! I wish the rest of the guys here used quality parts (i.e. connectors) instead of that Hong Kong garbage sold on eBay.
post #3581 of 3585 Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Now that is some quality stuff! Looks great! I wish the rest of the guys here used quality parts (i.e. connectors) instead of that Hong Kong garbage sold on eBay.
I agree. Proper speaker connectors are made in Liechtenstein not Hong Kong!

On the banana end, had the wire I had on hand been stranded rather than solid I would've used Sewell Deadbolts. Like the parts I used, they have insulated barrels. But IMO the screw-compression fitting is just as good, and they take less time to assemble than the double-screw bananas.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 

Last edited by DS-21; 09-09-2014 at 11:18 PM.
post #3582 of 3585 Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Not sure who you are including in your statement "rest of the guys" but I don't use inferior products in my personal cables. Quality Belden wiring, quality gls banana plugs, and sleeving from Germany. Wattgate connectors and Belden power wire for power cables.

Not all products on eBay are "garbage" considering a lot of manufactures sell on eBay.
darthray and holt7153 like this.

Last edited by nezff; 09-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #3583 of 3585 Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
Not sure who you are including in your statement "rest of the guys" but I don't use inferior products in my personal cables. Quality Belden wiring, quality gls banana plugs, and sleeving from Germany. Wattgate connectors and Belden power wire for power cables.

Not all products on eBay are "garbage" considering a lot of manufactures sell on eBay.
OK - question for the thread:

I am running a Naim amp fed by a separate DAC/pre-amp (Oppo HA-1, highly recommended, separate thread).

Naim traditionally uses 5-pin DIN connectors as their preferred choice, but offer RCA as well. The oppo has balanced (XLR) and RCA outputs.

So, I would build a 5-pin DIN to 2 RCA (banana) adaptor, about 0.5 meter long. The 5th pin (shield) is simply un-terminated on the RCA end (need to confirm this).
Available (of course) from Naim, but there is no fun in that. And, this is not meant to increase the soundstage or reduce sibilance, just a cleaner and cooler looking cable.

Component recommendations? Thx --
post #3584 of 3585 Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question anyone tried braided CAT5 here?

hi,

This is exciting thread!!! Lots of nice looking cables!!!
I am new to the forum and new to DIY cable.
I am planning the make a cable asap and wonder if anyone here tried "braided CAT5" or "braided cable"?

I came across few interesting article regarding braided cable design such as :
“TNT CAT5 triple T” at TNT audio & diy-speaker-cable-faceoff
“Low-Inductance DIY Hi-Fi Speaker Cables” at diy audio projects dot com
(sorry I cant post a link yet)
I wonder if anyone can share their thought about those DIY braided cable?

Also, Has anyone tried the non-stranded copper core cable such as Talk 3 Cable? (talkelectronics dot com)
Does it make sense to braid Talk 3 cable?

My system details are as follow:

Amp: Musical Fidelity B200
Class AB , 60W per channel
Speaker: EB Acoustic EB2
Cabinet: Composite closed box
Drive Units: 170mm bass unit and 25mm soft dome tweeter
Dimensions: 450mm tall, 225mm wide, 296mm deep (310mm with grille)
Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 5.9 ohms minimum.
Sensitivity: 87dB@ 2.8 volts@ 1 metre with pink noise
Frequency range: Useable from 45Hz to 20000Hz
Cable: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SYMPHONY 400 (currently 2ish meter long)
Roomsize: 5m x 3m
Source: MP3, Flac on NAS / Vinyl / Spotify

Any recommendations/ suggestions are welcome!!
Cheers,
post #3585 of 3585 Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 15
I think most in here just wanted a high quality, good looking cable but didn't want to spend $5,000.00 on a hunk of wire. As long as the diameter of the wire is sufficient to pass the needed electrons, it's exact configuration is mostly aesthetics. I don't really believe that braided vs upbraided or silver vs copper makes much of a difference.

Do something that looks good to you. Make it a large enough diameter to pass the power you want to use on the speaker.

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva XMC-1
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2 S2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monoprice , Harmon Kardon , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page