Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 121 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #3601 of 3617 Old 03-08-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Wow!!!
This almost look like a welding cable, personally I would Never use that since it would be not workable and the strands are too big.
Also, the jumpers look like 24awg, so what is the use of a main with 2awg?

Ray
Wire resistance is a function of wire size AND length. The longer the run, the bigger the wire needed, and vice versa. Plus most of the power goes to the low frequencies, which is why the larger cable is on the bottom terminals.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got a new Denon AVR-X4000 last month, and it inspired me to make up some new cables. I ended up making both speaker and power cables. For the speaker cables, I used Belden 12 AWG from Blue Jeans Cable, GLS banana plugs, KnuKonceptz cable pants, and Techflex from Furryletters on eBay. For the power cables I bought a 25 ft reel of Southwire 12/3 AWG from Lowes, red Techflex and mixture of Cooper heavy duty power plugs that I had on hand and power plugs ordered on eBay.The longer power cables enabled me to rearrange my entertainment center without having to add another surge suppressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	634025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	634033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	634041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	679.4 KB
ID:	634049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	634057  

Name:	IMG_0924.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	545.1 KB
ID:	634065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	596.0 KB
ID:	634073  
post #3603 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
Just got a new Denon AVR-X4000 last month, and it inspired me to make up some new cables. I ended up making both speaker and power cables. For the speaker cables, I used Belden 12 AWG from Blue Jeans Cable, GLS banana plugs, KnuKonceptz cable pants, and Techflex from Furryletters on eBay. For the power cables I bought a 25 ft reel of Southwire 12/3 AWG from Lowes, red Techflex and mixture of Cooper heavy duty power plugs that I had on hand and power plugs ordered on eBay.The longer power cables enabled me to rearrange my entertainment center without having to add another surge suppressor.
Excellent job! I'm thiiiiissssss close to going nuts and making cables for all of my equipment.
Retspin likes this.

PSN ID: javant86

post #3604 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luma View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by N8DOGG

The Nak plugs with the regular banana ends fit much better IMO :

My last speaker wire project used these plugs and I can't stand them. The plug part is OK, but the housing simply refused to stay screwed tight. I'd prefer not to have to threadlok every single wire I make and will be looking at the GLS options for my next project. Also, the opening for the wire entrance is made for something like 4GA wire (an estimate, not certain), and anything else hangs loosely in the middle of them.
Lets see... 4 year old topic, probably already answered multiple times in the follow 120 pages, but what the heck!?

I keep those pesky housings in place with a drop or two of blue locktite.
Nice tight and secure, but will come apart if you need it to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	634321  
darthray likes this.
post #3605 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
Lets see... 4 year old topic, probably already answered multiple times in the follow 120 pages, but what the heck!?

I keep those pesky housings in place with a drop or two of blue locktite.
Nice tight and secure, but will come apart if you need it to.

Good recommendation
I use the red one since it was all I had available and this made the job permanent, so if I want to do any changes, I will need to get new banana plugs.

Ray
post #3606 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Good recommendation
I use the red one since it was all I had available and this made the job permanent, so if I want to do any changes, I will need to get new banana plugs.

Ray
I know the original poster said he didn't want to thread lock each one, but seriously, its a drop of loctite and you are screwing them together anyway, so I don't mind using it.

Red should work, its not like we are planning on taking them apart once they are together anyway, right?
darthray likes this.
post #3607 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Not sure why you would need to use loctite on plugs? Ive never had a single issue with mine coming loose. Im assuming anything made in bulk will have its flaws.
post #3608 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can get that logo off the side of the pants with just a little bit of nail polish remover and Qtip.
Retspin and darknite9099 like this.
post #3609 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Excellent job! I'm thiiiiissssss close to going nuts and making cables for all of my equipment.
I had fun making mine and I'm sure you will too! It had been 4 years since I made my last set, about the same amount of time that this thread has been around. This thread is what got me started in the first place. I hope to reclaim my man cave in a few years and do it again!
post #3610 of 3617 Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
You can get that logo off the side of the pants with just a little bit of nail polish remover and Qtip.
Thanks for the suggestion.
post #3611 of 3617 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know the original poster said he didn't want to thread lock each one, but seriously, its a drop of loctite and you are screwing them together anyway, so I don't mind using it.

Red should work, its not like we are planning on taking them apart once they are together anyway, right?
OR one can buy a different brand of plug and saVe time and money on the Locktite fix. Seriously, if they come loose, they are defective, why waste more money to fix them? The whole point is to be able to take it apart to change plugs, cables, otherwise one would just solder the wire into the connector.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; Today at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
post #3612 of 3617 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure why you would need to use loctite on plugs? Ive never had a single issue with mine coming loose. Im assuming anything made in bulk will have its flaws.
Funny, we never seemed to assume that until they were stamped "Made in China". Well, unless they were stamped "Made in USA" and made on a Friday.

post #3613 of 3617 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I love the power chords! I will have to do that some time.
post #3614 of 3617 Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
OR one can buy a different brand of plug and same time and money on the Locktite fix. Seriously, if they come loose, they are defective, why waste more money to fix them? The whole point is to be able to take it apart to change plugs, cables, otherwise one would just solder the wire into the connector.
+1
post #3615 of 3617 Old Today, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by EndersShadow

hehehe, yeah its funny to me that I am spending more on 20 GLS Locking banana plugs than my speaker wire (AudioQuest FLX 14/4).

You, too? I bought
  • 50' 14AWG wire: $10
  • Cable pants: $17 (I bought more sizes than I can use)
  • Heat-shrink tubing: $6
  • Soldering iron: $35
  • Solder: $4
  • Soldering stand: $10
  • Third-hand: $8
  • Heat gun: $13
  • Wire cutters: $17 (My $2 cutters don't cut it)
So far, I've built one 12' cable and I need one more.
Thats funny, Whenever I approach a project I always ask what new tools can I get out of this? The soldering iron, stand, third hand, heat gun, and wire cutters (any tools really) are not going away, they just add to your arsenal and ability to do other projects. Never complain about getting new, more, or better tools.

Yeah, they gotta be budgeted for since it is an initial cash outlay. But I only count the cost of the materials needed to produce the project since tools will be used again for everything that follows.
post #3616 of 3617 Old Today, 09:48 AM

Quote:
+1
Quote:
I use the nakamichi bananas, and the screw on shield/covers don't stay tight.
Dunno if the subs shake them loose, but whatever the reason they don't stay in place.
A single small drop of loctite blue keeps the shield/sheath/cover in place, and easily unscrewed if needed.
post #3617 of 3617 Unread Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

Yes it does
Just the blue one alloy for changes
And this why I quote you as a good recommendation.
Blue is better and red is permanent

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monoprice , Harmon Kardon , Cables Interconnects

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page