Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #3931 of 3942 Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got some 10AWG ones with locking banana's from Blue Jeans cables, I might add some of that flex to make them more stealth.

IMO they're great, and with the two wires twisted it should have some noise rejection.

If they had some 8AWG I'd have gone with that. But I'm happy with them, the connections are solid, though if they had a non-conduction spacer to hole the ends together that'd be cool, I had to use two hands to really tighten the connectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3942 Old 12-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Anyone know what cable pants work with the Canare 4S11 Cable? I will not be bi-wiring so I would be braiding the ends go go from 14 AWG to 11 AWG and don't know which cable pants will fit. Thanks.

John

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf

"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #3933 of 3942 Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
2. how does my tech look in general? don't worry about color. they sent me all black for samples.

5. oh also my heat knife. it doesn't have a stand. what is the best tech to cut with it cause i have hold it in my hand and cut at the same time. my first cut was not pretty at all. i got the blade all dirty with the melted tech flex.
Well, I think they look pretty good!

Practice your cutting technique on some scraps. Problem is, too slow and you might end up melting the stuff together! Try cutting on a hard surface, wood block or metal rather than trying to hold it, making sure you're at the appropriate temp. (again, experiment with your knife). Another thing you can do is get a metal rod of appropriate diameter (don't stretch the flex too much), feed the techflex onto the rod, run a piece of tape around it (masking / painters, nothing too sticky) so you can get a pretty accurate line to follow for your cut, and give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
For anyone who hasn't seen this yet, Harbor Freight has a sale on this heat gun in their current magazine ad good until 02/2017. I picked one up today.
They do have some great deals there. I can't go into the stores though, that toxic, pervasive odor - feel like I'm getting cancer just waiting in line to pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_1_1 View Post
I just got some 10AWG ones with locking banana's from Blue Jeans cables, I might add some of that flex to make them more stealth.

IMO they're great, and with the two wires twisted it should have some noise rejection.

If they had some 8AWG I'd have gone with that. But I'm happy with them, the connections are solid, though if they had a non-conduction spacer to hole the ends together that'd be cool, I had to use two hands to really tighten the connectors.
Yeah, heavier AWGs can be harder to terminate. Just out of curiosity, why do feel you need 8AWG? You driving something 50 feet away with a challenging load?
post #3934 of 3942 Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Yeah, heavier AWGs can be harder to terminate. Just out of curiosity, why do feel you need 8AWG? You driving something 50 feet away with a challenging load?
Never said "need" I just don't like unneeded voltage loss, I prefer only intentional voltage loss. IE I want any (er as much as possible) voltage loss to be via the load not the connections.

I also like BlueJeans cable since instead of soldering the wire or just clamping it they ultrasonically weld it.
post #3935 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_1_1 View Post
Never said "need" I just don't like unneeded voltage loss, I prefer only intentional voltage loss. IE I want any (er as much as possible) voltage loss to be via the load not the connections.

I also like BlueJeans cable since instead of soldering the wire or just clamping it they ultrasonically weld it.
People like you crack me up..
post #3936 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
People like you crack me up..
Well at least I know good and well that it's not going to make any sonic difference as opposed to those crazies that think it will.

I care more about improvement for improvement sake, above and beyond what you can perceive. But not change for change sake.

Is 10AWG better in that it has a lower resistance? yes, is it at all noticeable other than in super duper long runs? no.
dashpuppy likes this.
post #3937 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 618
You could weld copper pipe together

If you really want to get OCD--then just wrap two chunks of 10AWG cable together and solder it to the amplifier terminals. The other end can be soldered directly to the crossover board.

However, then you'll notice how thin the capacitor and inductor leads are so time to upgrade those.

The funny part about all this is why? If it don't matter, then go after things that do matter to get actual improvement. Nothing wrong with overkill, I do it myself. I purchased a 100 foot spool of 12 AWG copper cable, mainly because I can use it for 30 foot runs for surrounds, I can wire up subwoofers to handle 4 ohms at over 1KW at a distance of 25 feet if I like. It is crazy to wire 10 foot runs of the stuff for my mains--but it does not hurt anything and no matter what crazy project I'm working on, it will work.

I view speaker wire and cables like I view downforce wings on cars--they can help until they don't. If I was running a 20 KW Powersoft amp with 4 ohm subs 50 feet away, I'd be worried about it. Since I don't and never will, there is no reason to go nuts on "future proofing" my cables.

If you really want to worry about the last 0.001% of resistance in your cables--directly solder them to the crossover boards and the outputs on the amps. Get rid of that nasty electrical resistance of the connections. While you are at it, check to see if the crossover wiring uses crimp terminals or is soldered directly from the board to the drivers. THAT makes much more sense than increasing the size of the cables past 12 or 14 AWG in traditional homes.

When I built my vertical line arrays a few years back, I directly soldered all 81 speaker drivers from their terminals to the crossover board. A friend asked if it was for audio reasons, my reply was "No, it is done for reliability reasons in that having 162 speaker connections done with crimp connectors would be a disaster if one slipped off. Consider that is 162 connections for each speaker not counting the series/parallel connections to get to the crossover board so figure around 400 solder connections for the pair. I solder to keep my sanity"

So relax, a lot of the "improvements" in audio are done for many reasons besides sound quality. If you feel the need to improve something, try XLR balanced connectors, room treatments, PEQ or room calibration. If you want massive speaker wire for overkill's sake, do that AFTER you get everything else done first.
Brent A and dashpuppy like this.
post #3938 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I know we're straying a little bit, but I am using 10AWG Belden 5T00UP for in-wall to go to side and rear surrounds, two of the runs could be approaching 50ft. in wall, 4 and 6 Ohm loads, plus the at least the 10ft. of interconnect between the amp, speakers, and involved wall connectors. Decided to go all SpeakOn, blade terminals on the wall connectors, .250". Will solder the wires to the female quick disconnects. Speaker interconnects barely accommodate 10AWG, but they do, they are screw clamped, soldering is optional, but I'm not going to do that. So, bottom line, connections will only be as good as screw clamps and quikc disconnects bitting the blades on the SpeakOn connectors. Totally not worried about it though. We'll see....
post #3939 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
You could weld copper pipe together

If you really want to get OCD--then just wrap two chunks of 10AWG cable together and solder it to the amplifier terminals. The other end can be soldered directly to the crossover board.
It should still be serviceable, welding or soldering the speaker wires to ether the amp or the speakers wold be a step to far since that would make moving or upgrading the gear troublesome.

And stepping up to 10AWG is simple and isn't a huge cost increase so for me it's a reasonable overkill thing.
And I was never happy with banana plugs I had terminated so if I can easily get ones that are pro-terminated by bluejeans in a way that's better than just using a screw why not?

and a bit OT when I had a pair of L5-30R's installed in my old place for my server rack I had them use 8AWG and dedicated breaker for each, and the UPS's plugged into those were never over 40%.

So ya I like to bump wire gauge up since IMO it's a no-brainer, cost isn't that much more and there isn't a downside.

Last edited by 1_1_1; 12-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.
post #3940 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Anyone know what cable pants work with the Canare 4S11 Cable? I will not be bi-wiring so I would be braiding the ends go go from 14 AWG to 11 AWG and don't know which cable pants will fit. Thanks.

John
Working on the same issue myself. I ordered a set of the 12 gauge and 10 gauge from KnuKonceptz, and neither would fit. Ordered the 8 gauge, and they will fit, the bottom of the pants a bit loose on the cable, but a little wrap of some electrical tape or some heat shrink should fill in that space. Plus, the braided ends fit through the pants legs much easier, but the diameter of the legs was too big for my chosen bananas. Should fit the Nakamichi plugs perfectly, I would think. I could push the braid through the 10 gauge pants legs, but it was hard, and you could still see the braid twists through them.

I still want to see if they'll work with my bananas though, so I ordered another set of 10 gauge from KnuKonceptz. The first set was the flat ones, these are round, and it appears they fit, although with a little effort perhaps, I haven't got around to doing them up yet. . I think the base of the pants is about 11mm diameter.

If those don't work, I'll either go with the slightly oversized 8 gauge and get some Nakamichi bananas, or order some of the Canare 4s8, new techflex and use the bananas and pants I already have.
post #3941 of 3942 Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yep, the round 10 gauge pants from KnuKonceptz fit the Canare 4s11 perfectly. And slid right over the braided wires quite easily.
post #3942 of 3942 Old Today, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ive done a basic skim over the thread, but at over 3900 post I would have likely missed it if it were here....

Has anyone compiled a table showing cable pants size and techflex for standard AWG wire size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monoprice , Harmon Kardon , Cables Interconnects

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page