Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #721 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

you would basically be defeating the purpose of that gauge wire. It would just be better to use the correct gauge that fits in the plugs.

Depends thought on if he is refering to trimming the wire, or just the jacket around it.....since the speaker pants are rubber I would assume they would protect the wire itself from EM noise if hes just talking about trimming down the insulation (which is what I will probably have to do on mine).

Removing some of the wire strands and you are right, it would be pointless...

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Depends thought on if he is refering to trimming the wire, or just the jacket around it.....since the speaker pants are rubber I would assume they would protect the wire itself from EM noise if hes just talking about trimming down the insulation (which is what I will probably have to do on mine).

Removing some of the wire strands and you are right, it would be pointless...

this is what i was referring too.
post #723 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

you could always just trim the wire to make it fit too.

As I mentioned, I could have done that but I want to keep the cable and wires jackets un-cut and un-strip as possible. I want the exposed looks of the cable and wire jackets. I don't want to cover up the wire and cable jacket with sleeving. To me, it looks unique and classic with bare wire and cable jackets. Not unless, I have no choice!

One other note- if you want to keep it the same 12awg wire, combine two 12awg wires will mess it up. If I remember correctly and I measured it at my work place, I believe that two 12awg wires combined become a single 9awg wire. With that said- if you want to combine two wires to make a single cable and still keep relatively close to 12awg, I am recommending buying a cable with 14awg conductors.
post #724 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Please for the love of all that is Holy NEVER buy anything with the name "monster" on it for either cables or amps!!! The ONLY thing I would consider from that company is one of the power centers, and then, only if I got it dirt cheap.

If it is dirt cheap, why not? You can always cover it up with cable sleeving and heat shrink.
post #725 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

As I mentioned, I could have done that but I want to keep the cable and wires jackets un-cut and un-strip as possible. I want the exposed looks of the cable and wire jackets. I don't want to cover up the wire and cable jacket with sleeving. To me, it looks unique and classic with bare wire and cable jackets. Not unless, I have no choice!

???

do you have a pic of what you are talking about? Are you talking about not covering up the whole speaker cable with techflex or just the ends with cable pants.
post #726 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:

???

do you have a pic of what you are talking about? Are you talking about not covering up the whole speaker cable with techflex or just the ends with cable pants.

Both- no cable sleeving to cover up a very nice silver outer jacket (I don't like TechFlex stuff) and no cable pants to cover up the colorful wires colors (I don't like cable pants stuff either). I cannot strip the outer cable jacket very clean, so I have to use the cable pants to cover it up (which I'm not a fan of).

Here is what I'm talking about:

post #727 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

so.... why not just get different color techflex, like grey or the cool looking pearlescent stuff and not cable pants. Thats the way I used to make mine years ago.
post #728 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have seen silver metallic mylar as well if you prefer that.
post #729 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have seen silver metallic mylar as well if you prefer that.

exactly, you can make them look very good with tech flex. Is there a reason you dont like techflex? just wondering
post #730 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

exactly, you can make them look very good with tech flex. Is there a reason you dont like techflex? just wondering

shimmer, mylar, pearlescent

check their site, you are bound to find a color there.
post #731 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

shimmer, mylar, pearlescent

check their site, you are bound to find a color there.

Maybe Duct Tape would be a better look?
post #732 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

so as a side note i was continuing to make my cables last night, and the center and surround already had that black 1/4 fire tech flex (which I think looks like crap) on them...well I couldnt' be bothered to take it off so I just put the new tech flex over top.

wow...those are some stiff cables now boy! LOL

My 3 front cables L/C/R are 50 feet each...and what a PITA it would have been to take the tech flex back off..anyway, the thicker the cable the better it is right???!! LOL

do you guys put any truth in the theory of keeping all the cables the same length? I did that for the fronts and rears etc...same for each speaker..but not sure how it would really affect sound or anything. just curious
post #733 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so as a side note i was continuing to make my cables last night, and the center and surround already had that black 1/4 fire tech flex (which I think looks like crap) on them...well I couldnt' be bothered to take it off so I just put the new tech flex over top.

My 3 front cables L/C/R are 50 feet each...and what a PITA it would have been to take the tech flex back off..anyway, the thicker the cable the better it is right???!! LOL

evil, did you cover all 50ft of your cables? You must not have them hidden? I have mine run under the base, and the part you see, is the part I dressed up.
post #734 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

evil, did you cover all 50ft of your cables? You must not have them hidden? I have mine run under the base, and the part you see, is the part I dressed up.

yes I covered every inch of those cables. they are not hidden exactly, but run along the sides of the room. so ya, i used a lot of tech flex I think I've used around 250 feet of tech flex so far for my system
post #735 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes I covered every inch of those cables. they are not hidden exactly, but run along the sides of the room. so ya, i used a lot of tech flex I think I've used around 250 feet of tech flex so far for my system

good god, I cant imagine using that much techflex. I bet Barry was glad to see you coming. lol
post #736 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

so.... why not just get different color techflex, like grey or the cool looking pearlescent stuff and not cable pants. Thats the way I used to make mine years ago.

Sorry, I don't like any of that stuff. When I bought my cables, I'm looking for particular out jacket color and size because I planned not to cover it up with any sleeving material. When I built the cable in the photo, I ran out of the silver heat shrink tubing. I end up using the black heat shrink tubing to cover up the stripped jacket.

One other thing too, I want to expose the lettering on the outer jacket.
This is why the Canare 4S11 cable is perfect cable for me.
post #737 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

good god, I cant imagine using that much techflex. I bet Barry was glad to see you coming. lol

I've sent him a lot of business so far too from this thread. You'd THINK I'd get a discount by now!!! but nope! LOL

I've ordered over 700 feet so far for friends etc
post #738 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I don't like any of that stuff. When I bought my cables, I'm looking for particular out jacket color and size because I planned not to cover it up with any sleeving material. When I built the cable in the photo, I ran out of the silver heat shrink tubing. I end up using the black heat shrink tubing to cover up the stripped jacket.

One other thing too, I want to expose the lettering on the outer jacket.
This is why the Canare 4S11 cable is perfect cable for me.

Hey to each their own my friend.

I will tell you though that there is NO FRICKEN WAY I would pay $1.19 a foot!!! Especially since I have over 250 feet of speaker cables in my room. just no way!!! Monoprice 12 gauge...$30.00 :-)
post #739 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've sent him a lot of business so far too from this thread. You'd THINK I'd get a discount by now!!! but nope! LOL

I've ordered over 700 feet so far for friends etc

he has been the only place I have ordered from for the last couple years. I did buy my first stuff, which was ViaBlue from av-outlet.
post #740 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess thats why opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one.
post #741 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

do you guys put any truth in the theory of keeping all the cables the same length? I did that for the fronts and rears etc...same for each speaker..but not sure how it would really affect sound or anything. just curious

I pretty sure having speaker cables of different lengths isn't an issue at all. There's a bunch of threads about it.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #742 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I pretty sure having speaker cables of different lengths isn't an issue at all. There's a bunch of threads about it.

agreed, all my cables are not the same. center and right are short, left is about 4-5 foot longer, and surrounds are probably 35 and 25 feet.
post #743 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

do you guys put any truth in the theory of keeping all the cables the same length?

Absolutely not at the lengths that have been discussed here.
post #744 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

If you use any type of "room correction" such as Audyssey or YPAO, I would think it would matter even less with the adjustments that are made. Without "room correction", I don't think the human ear would be able to detect it on runs under 100'. You could probably measure with some audio equipment or run some calculations to see it but I bet it would be an incredibly small difference.
post #745 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I ran MultEQ XT32, which is absolutely awesome and didnt have a single problem with my different lengths.
post #746 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

I will tell you though that there is NO FRICKEN WAY I would pay $1.19 a foot!!! Especially since I have over 250 feet of speaker cables in my room. just no way!!! Monoprice 12 gauge...$30.00 :-)

You're correct, it is my personal choice to expose bare cable jacket. If it is in-wall cable and hidden away in the wall, I bought the cheaper stuff at Home Depot with very thin jacket and tougher (not flexible) cable too.

If the cable is exposing by the back of the floor standing speaker or subwoofer or center speaker, I preferred the thicker, flexible and bare outer cable jacket. To me, it feels more solid and looks classic with thicker/flexible cable and it is less work without the cable sleeving and cable pants too!
post #747 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I ran MultEQ XT32, which is absolutely awesome and didnt have a single problem with my different lengths.

Exactly my point. Different lengths do not matter, room correction makes it matter even LESS.
post #748 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I like to make my speaker cables with the same length for each group. The left/right floor standing speaker cables has the same length, the left/right surround speaker cables has the same length, and so on. I want to keep it uniform, and it has nothing to do with sound. The Audyssey and SPL can accommodate all of that.

Again, it is just my personal choice to keep it the same length and it is easier for me to keep track of it too.
post #749 of 3588 Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Again, it is just my personal choice to keep it the same length
and it is easier for me to keep track of it too.

And it makes the cables interchangeable.
post #750 of 3588 Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Liked: 13
Here is what I have come up with. I got some clear heat shrink tubing in today so I could label my cords. For me its definitely a plus to have them labeled. I always unplug and tell myself to remember which cord is which and 2 seconds later, I forget. 22 years old now... yeah getting older is only going to suck more with memory loss already.

Anyways onto the pictures.

Left Front

Center

Labeled Center

Waiting for more techflex to get the front three done. Then I'll be doing my surrounds and rears. Doubt I will be doing those completely with techflex. It would be 200 ft of that mess for them (I do not have my cable run through any walls, just along the baseboards that are covered up about 95% with furniture or curtains) What I have is the standard 12awg monoprice speaker (not in wall) Knukonceptz pants and monoprice banana plugs. I want to get different plugs after seeing all the pretty ones in here.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monoprice , Harmon Kardon , Cables Interconnects

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page