Need help - looking for quality L/C/R speakers that are thin - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, great forum. Love the info you get here - nowhere else like it on the web that I have found. Great for newbies like me.

Here is my situation...

First, the specs:

ROOM: 14' wide X 18' long
TV: 50" Panasonic Viera G Series Plasma - TC-P50G20
Receiver: Yamaha HTR6295B 7.1 Multi-Room

My basement is wired and finished, tv and receiver are purchased, and now it's time to move on to the speakers and sub. My budget for the seven speakers and sub I need is about $2000 - so, a little more than your home theatre in a box, but not real high end either. Basically (like everyone else), I'm looking for the best quality sounding speakers that fit my situation for the money. I could spend a little more than budget too, if the upgrade was worth it.

My big problem is that the design around the television (in a typical wife vs. husband situation) limits me to going with as thin a center/left/right speaker as I can find for the money/quality. I'm looking for a 4" width max - length can up be to 20"+, and thickness isn't a big factor either. Width is the key though, as anything wider throws the fireplace/mantle/tv height scenario all out of whack.

Does anyone have a suggestion for good quality speakers (in my price range) in a thin dimension? I would be willing the spend proportionately more on the C/L/R speakers and pull back on the surrounds and backs if I had to.

I have looked at the Paradigm Cinema 110 C and CC series' as examples, but I don't know what the quality is like on those. I'm not interested in Bose really, and I don't know much about other brands in terms of sound quality.

I'm also looking for a nice subwoofer for this size room if anyone has suggestions there too.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
This may work and it is close - Boston is good.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/RS-22...aker-P401.aspx
Go to www.hsuresearch.com and look at True Subwoofers.

And, welcome to the forum.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

That extra inch width on RS may be too much (yes, the room to work with is that tight), but I will definitely take a look at them. The reviews I have read are encouraging.

Any opinion on the Paradigm Cinema series speakers in terms of quality, value? The dimensions on those will work if the the quality is there.

I have read good things about the HSU woofers and will definitely check them out. What do you think my 14'x18' room would be classified as, big or medium? Any recommendations for me on a particular woofer model?

Thanks again, and would love to hear from others as well.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
For speakers, take a look at the Monitor Audio Radius series. Good looking, good sounding speakers that should meet your criteria. Readily available at Amazon and certain dealers locally, including Canada.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Paradigm is a good company. I don't know the specifics about the Cinema series, but it's probably okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafs View Post

I have read good things about the HSU woofers and will definitely check them out. What do you think my 14'x18' room would be classified as, big or medium?

What's the height of the room? 14X18X8 would be medium. 14x18X20 would be BIG.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

For speakers, take a look at the Monitor Audio Radius series. Good looking, good sounding speakers that should meet your criteria. Readily available at Amazon and certain dealers locally, including Canada.

Great, thanks. Will definitely check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Paradigm is a good company. I don't know the specifics about the Cinema series, but it's probably okay.

What's the height of the room? 14X18X8 would be medium. 14x18X20 would be BIG.

I know it seems stupid that measurements are a deciding factor here, but what can I say, that's marriage for you. Paradigm seems to be getting good reviews everywhere, and they are the thinnest by a smidge, so I will keep considering them along with the other suggestions. I'm sure that in the end they would all work with my amateur ear.

On the ceiling - yes, 14x18x8 room, so medium it is. Thanks for the help on that.

Looks like I have some good brands to research and price. Thanks everyone.
Adam
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page