need timbre matched rears for my polk rti70's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of polk audio rti70's and a csi40 center channel. I need the timbre matched rears. Does anyone know which surrounds are timbre matched to these? And if so do you know where I can acquire some in new/excellent condition? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Either the Polk Audio RTI A1 or A3 will match. Possibly @ bestbuy and tons of places online.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Ideally you will be looking for the FXi30's (smaller rooms) or FXi50's (larger rooms). http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p.../recent/rti70/ -Look at bottom of page

These are (as I'm sure you know) outdated models so I'd say your best bet is Audiogon, Ebay, or the Polk forum. The current models are the fxi a4 and a6 but I assume that they use a different tweeter. However, many people use different surrounds then the one's that match with their front stage and consider timbre matching to be either a non consideration or definitely less important.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I bought the fronts and center a while back intending on getting the surrounds later and had forgotten the model name. I will check them out.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
You don't necessarily HAVE to timbre match surrounds to the fronts (although the surrounds should match each other.) Panning from fronts to surrounds isn't as common as surround only or front only panning. You can get another brand if you want to expand your options.

If you're doing SACD or DVD-A, that's another story.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Polk on wall speakers would work too.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio--Wa...3999681&sr=8-1

Afro GT
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 PM

^^^ or POLK in-ceiling's, I have the 8" and they are fantastic
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I've thought about in ceiling/wall installation before, but was worried about the sound quality vs. traditional speakers. I would like them to be timbre matched so that pans will be as consistent as possible. I understand the rears are not as important, but still if they are timbre matched, pans should be a little more realistic/uniform. Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by statonj View Post

Ideally you will be looking for the FXi30's (smaller rooms) or FXi50's (larger rooms).

My room is 12x19. I don't know what is considered small or large for a home theater room. I will be using a carver av806x to power it; which will be roughly 133 wpc. I have never heard the difference between a monopole and a bipolar/dipolar setup so I'm not sure which way to go to achieve the most realistic surround effect for movies. Any input?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap_or_nap113 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I bought the fronts and center a while back intending on getting the surrounds later and had forgotten the model name. I will check them out.

i was using the fxi500's and the rt35i.. i think they all have the trilaminate speaker, the one that says dynamic balanced. i know for sure all the drivers match. all are the 6.5 inch blue driver.

i am getting some more rti70s for the rears.. i didnt want to mount my fx500's on the wall anymore and i dont want speaker stands for the rt35i.. so i found some on craigslist.. there are several sets on there.. sometimes it is hard to find someone to ship them though.. and if they do get shipped they have to pack them very very good.

i am keeping my fingers crossed on a set i just ordered.

the rti70's are great speakers.. do bass fairly nice as well.. nothing earth shuddering but very nice nonetheless.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap_or_nap113 View Post

My room is 12x19. I don't know what is considered small or large for a home theater room. I will be using a carver av806x to power it; which will be roughly 133 wpc. I have never heard the difference between a monopole and a bipolar/dipolar setup so I'm not sure which way to go to achieve the most realistic surround effect for movies. Any input?

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...recent/fx500i/

i can not tell any difference at all... in the fx500i dipole/bipole setting

only thing is that a little bit of sound comes out of the tweeter side on either setting... lol.. maybe mine are broke..

EDIT:
well i was just looking at the spec sheets from all my speakers and it looks as if i was wrong about the exact matching tweeter

the rti70's have the silk dome and the others have the tri laminate.. like i said i cant hear the difference. speaker manufacturers love people like me.. they all sound great!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page