Volume problem with Behringer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys and girls.

I bought home a pair of Behringer B2031's today and got straight to setting them up. Then once they were set up, i came across a little problem.
The sound was coming out of the speakers, but i had no control over it. The volume was fixed at one level, really loud. LOL. I turned the volume right down on the source, but still the volume wouldn't budge. Even when i put the source on mute, the music was still blasting out the speakers.

Can anyone tell me whats gone wrong and how to sort the problem out?

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
How are they hooked up and what is hooked up to them for preamp and source.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Right, i haven't got a cd player to hook up to them yet but will be getting one eventually. So for now, i have the playstation 3 connected to the tele through HDMI cable. Which i know has nothing to do with it, but just wanted to give you the full picture. Then i have a red and white lead running from the PS3 to an amp. Then this next bit im confused at. I have the audio lead running from the speakers to the 'audio signal out' on the back of the amp. I tried connecting the speakers to all the audio ports on the back of the amp and the 'audio signal out' port was the only one that would give sound to the speakers.
Hope you can picture it. LOL.
So i either have no sound at all, or i have sound but is not adjustable.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

If i was to get a normal CD player and connect the speakers to the audio in on the CD player, i've been told that that would work.
Cause the speakers have got built in amps, i just need to connect them to a cd player via the audio in ports. Then i adjust the volume to the speakers through the cd player. Does this sound right?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If I remember correctly, the PS3 delivers a set voltage out. Unless you buy a CD player with volume control, you will have it at full volume.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Right. Gotcha. That will be the problem then. If it still happens when i connect the CD player up, ill post back on here.
Cheers buddy
post #7 of 10 Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Im going out to look for a semi cheap cd player seperate that will do the job for the speakers.
Does it have to be a CD player or can it be a DVD that obviously can play CD's too? And am i right in thinking the speakers will connect to the 'audio in' ports on the player, or 'audio out' ports?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You need to connect the 2031A to a device that can control the output level of what is fed to the speaker. An MP3 player or PC come to mind.

A DVD player works fine for CDs. Any DVD or CD player typically has a fixed level line out.

Will the input trim control (on the back of the 2031A) help with the loudness.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM

These are active studio monitors, which were designed for a purpose -- mixing music in a studio. In any such setup, the speakers are connected either to a mixer or to the line-out of an audio interface, both of which give you dedicated volume control for the monitors irrespective of the volume of the 'source' or the input.

What might be an ideal solution for you -- depending on where you've bought these from and what your intended use for these is -- is to get yourself a pair of passive B2031Ps. They're cheaper, just as good, and plug in directly to the speaker outputs of your amplifier. This way, your amplifier does what its supposed to do -- control how much you want to amplify your sound.

If the above is not an option, the only 2 feasible options you have, in my opinion, are:
a) Buy a CD / DVD player with volume control. I have seen CD players with this feature, but not DVD players. Be sure to check before buying that the volume indeed controls the 'line-out' volume and not merely the headphone volume!
b) Buy yourself a small cheap mixer like the Behringer 502 (its under 50 bucks at Guitar Centre.. the forum didnt allow me to post a link), connect the 'line-out' of your amplifier into the 'CD / Tape in' of the mixer, press the button that assigns CD / tape to Main Mix, and connect the monitors to the Main Out of the mixer. The little main mix button will work as a volume control for your monitors.

What I personally dislike about this route, and also generally using active speakers for such a set up, is that you can't use a remote control like you would for a simple hi-fi or HT system. You manually need to turn on / off each component.

Hope that helps.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
NHT Passive Volume Control

http://www.nhthifi.com/s.nl/it.A/id....category=1334#
http://www.nhthifi.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=1334
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version