AudioEngine 5 powered speakers and TV with no variable audio out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I found a great deal on a set of AudioEngine 5 powered speakers that fit well into the space around my TV. I like the powered speakers because I don't need/want to buy a receiver, do not need surround, and they allow me to plug in both my TV and my Apple Router for airplay, allowing wireless music.

Problem I have is that my TV appears to lack a variable audio out. I posted on the TV section to see if I am missing the setting on my TV. If it proves not to have a variable audio out, can anyone suggest options for controlling volume on powered speakers for a TV with no variable audio out? It has an audio out I can use, but its at a constant level, and the speakers do not have a remote.

Thanks for any feedback!

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
NOt sure if this will work but have you tried hooking them up to your dvd player or your cable box and try to use those remotes?

Good speakers by the way.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

post #4 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Michael C. - no other component in my system has volume control, so that won't work.

Greggie - the Apogee option means having a separate remote control... I guess that's not the worst option, but it makes it all very messy.

Thanks.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
While not an "audiophile" solution I have powered speakers hooked up to the 'phones mini jack - the volume control is variable with this output on two different manufacturers' sets in our bed rooms.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #6 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I would take that option if I could, but my Panasonic Plasma (TH-42PX75U) does not have a headphone jack. Its so weird that it has RCA audio outs but without variable control... first TV I have that lacks that feature.

It would be a shame to return the speakers because I have no way of controlling the volume, but its starting to look that way.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Another option similar to the Apogee, perhaps higher quality, but more $$$:

http://www.nhthifi.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=1215

I had a similar issue with Sharp 32" LCD I use in a bedroom system. It has variable analog out, but for reasons that I can not fathom, it will not pass audio out when the input source is HDMI. Sharp says that it is designed that way. Yeah, right.

I lucked out in that the set DOES have a headphone jack, but I would prefer not to use it.

I have an associate that bought a Vizio LCD set, and it lacks ANY analog out of any kind; only an optical out. He was not happy.

Good luck.

Brian

#JB17
post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately that solution is passive and comes with no remote control. I may as well control the volume from the speakers, which is possible.

The Apogee system will work with a remote, unfortunately its a proprietary remote, so it involves another remote or else I would consider it.

Very frustrating, I guess I should have researched if the TV had variable out before getting the speakers... I just assumed it did.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
i deal with this everyday at work. clients want better sound but don't want a full system. the options are usually:
1. powered speakers
2. sound bar

the sound bar usually sounds MUCH worse then a pair of audioengines for more or the same $. most tv's today have gotten rid of the variable out, it sucks big time.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've been trying to avoid it, but it looks like I might have to go with a pair of Bose powered speakers, they come with the ability to be controlled with a universal TV remote. I doubt they will sound as good, but can't see any other options in that price range for a two speaker powered system. Sigh.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #12 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

No i have no room for a receiver and the only way I could fit the audioengine speakers were to lay them on their sides. Plus I am trying to keep it as simple as possible to use, some of the family is not good with complex hookups. I have been looking at soundbars, but haven't heard great things about them either.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you using a cable/satellite receiver?

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #14 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, and unfortunately, it does not have a variable audio out either, I thought of that too. I have the Comcast Hi-def digital box. Lots of optical outs, HDMI, but no simple variable audio out. Very frustrating, because I really like the AudioEngine speakers. I know Bose is a ripoff but for a small 2.1 powered system that has an RCA input (for the apple airplay audio) and an optical input, I am struggling to find something comparable. I am looking into high end computer speakers, there may be something there that makes sense.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Zvox stuff are supposedly decent.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophace View Post

I've been trying to avoid it, but it looks like I might have to go with a pair of Bose powered speakers, they come with the ability to be controlled with a universal TV remote. I doubt they will sound as good, but can't see any other options in that price range for a two speaker powered system. Sigh.

Zvox powered speaker bases can also be remote controlled.

Brian

EDIT: Note to self: Read first, post second. :-)

#JB17
post #17 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I will check Zvox out.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Did a little research on the Bose and it turns out those are no good as well. Even though the Bose system comes with both analog and a digital optical input, the manual states - Note: The interface module has both optical and analog connectors to accommodate a variety of TVs. When your TV is connected to the optical input on the interface module, the analog input cannot be used as a second audio input.

What a crap system! I shouldn't be surprised I guess.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

....tough customer

Try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Srs-Zx1-S.../dp/B0017888UI

Note: did you realize how small the receivers were in the mini systems?

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #20 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

First off thanks everyone for suggestions and help. I discovered that the cable box does have variable audio out, it was a feature you have to turn on in the remote, not the set top box (weird). While its not the ideal solution, i can at least get audio for music through airplay and the tv without having to play with any connections. DVD player is a different story, but i can live with that.

So the audioengine 5's stay, don't have to spend more money on crappy speakers (Bose), and everything gets controlled from one remote. As good as i can get it.

Thanks!
post #21 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM

@Sophace

Wow man, thanks for posting that about programming the Comcast REMOTE. I am in the same situation where I don't have a variable analog audio out on my Insignia NS-42P650A11 (I have a 1/8 audio out jack but it is not variable). For instructions on how to program the Comcast remote go to the Comcast website and look up the instruction pdf about how to program your remote.

Once you download the instructional .pdf, open it and find "Changing Volume Lock" > Unlocking Volume Control For A Single Device (Individual Volume Unlock)"

The default setting on the Comcast remote is that every device (you can program up to 3) has it's volume control locked except for the TV. What you are doing by following the instructions above is unlocking the volume control for the cable box too (operated by the "Cable" button at the top of the remote).

Now I can purchase Audioengine 5's and remotely control the volume through the analog audio out jacks on the cable box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page