In-Wall Speakers Mounted Within Outside Walls - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
racer69 - thank you for the pictures and the idea! There is a product called TUFF-R (and Super TUFF-R), which is similar to the pink foam boar that you used. It is also closed-cell foam board, but with slightly higher R value (R = 6.5 per 1"); it is covered with an aluminum foil on both sides. Is there any reason I should not use this instead of pink foam board? Is aluminum-foil backing going to create any problems for in-wall speakers (I have ones without an inclosure, with an open back end)?

One more thing - did you have a chance to listen to your set-up to see if it affects sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 AM

Glad it helped someone, Serge!

If you are asking "Could the aluminum cause some kind of effect (audio or electrical, interference, noise etc)?" then sorry I'm not qualified to answer that - would be a good question for an engineer who knows speakers very well...

we take posession of the new house in about 3 weeks - then it will be another 2 at least before i can get around to working on finishing the install....will post once finished with my thoughts on the results.

If you do go ahead please post pics and your thoughts on how it turned out too!

Note: i made sure to glue the foam board to the concrete foundation wall as well to eliminate vibration/resonance on the large foam back piece that faces the drivers. - used "PL Premium" urethane glue - that stuff sticks to almost any surface.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

Glad it helped someone, Serge!

If you are asking "Could the aluminum cause some kind of effect (audio or electrical, interference, noise etc)?" then sorry I'm not qualified to answer that - would be a good question for an engineer who knows speakers very well...

we take posession of the new house in about 3 weeks - then it will be another 2 at least before i can get around to working on finishing the install....will post once finished with my thoughts on the results.

If you do go ahead please post pics and your thoughts on how it turned out too!

Note: i made sure to glue the foam board to the concrete foundation wall as well to eliminate vibration/resonance on the large foam back piece that faces the drivers. - used "PL Premium" urethane glue - that stuff sticks to almost any surface.

Thank you Racer! I will post pictures for sure. Good luck with moving in!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM

just a quick update. i finally got around to installing all the speakers in walls. I ended up cutting styrofoam chunks to push into the large cavities to act as braces to eliminate buzzing walls just as a precaution. the final result was far far better than i had expected. true 7.1 surround with crisp highs and pretty good lows when the sub is turned off (remember i have 6x 8" woofers in the room with this setup). the monoprice reviews on this 3 way in wall were legit. it rocks. i pounded some of my favorite tunes as loud as my ears would dare and found no noticeable distortion..

the light fixtures however were rattling like crazy so i had to silicone all the metal rivets and contact edges inside....

overall very happy with the outcome. my center channel is mounted a bit high - just above the 65" tv but still sounds great. Dolby website has some great 7.1 demo videos. most movies i watch are 5.1 encoded only and my Denon receiver does a great job of turning it into (simulated) 7.1 with good accuracy.