Behringer 2030P Speaker Owners - How do you like your setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
techhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have these speakers?
techhappy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sholling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hemet California
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used them (powered by an AVR) as computer speakers for about a year and liked them a lot for the price - I just suffer from serial upgraditis and moved up market. For what they sold for at the time the B2030P were impossible to beat. Unfortunately over the last year prices have gone up 50-100% making them much less of a bargain for home theater. They excel near-field yet do well as bookshelves in a small to medium sized room and if I had a < $200 budget they'd be my choice for a large computer desk.

The only real weakness (besides homeliness) is a common one with budget speakers and that's cabinet resonance. This isn't just a B2030P thing - cabinet resonance is pretty common in sub-$250/pr bookshelves and sub-$500/pr towers because at that price level the manufacture has the choice of putting money into ridged cabinetry and lots of good stuffing, or putting that money into good drivers. Most choose drivers. You'll want some kind of isolation pad under the speakers to keep them from transferring that resonance to whatever they sit on. There is a quick and cheap mod to reduce that resonance but even though I've done it to three I never did do an A-B test to compare modded and unmodded side by side.
sholling is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
techhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally, a Behringer 2030P owner! Thanks your feedback.

I use to mix on studio monitors so when I heard people are using these Behringers(can be found for 149 a pair) monitors in a surround sound setup, I got intrigued by the idea of getting truly accurate surround with no coloration.

I ordered 3 pairs of 2030p speakers that should arrive next Monday. I can't wait to get them setup and test how they sound.

According to several audio forums I'm read through, the flat frequency response of these particular speakers is extremely impressive and it also has a large sweetspot. There was also talk about the drivers, caps and overall build quality in these speakers as being equal to speakers that cost 2-3 times its cost.

I'm planning to do a speaker shootout between my Polk Monitors and the Behringers once they come in. I'm hoping to hear details I've never noticed before in my favorite movies.
techhappy is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sholling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hemet California
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by techhappy View Post

Finally, a Behringer 2030P owner! Thanks your feedback.

I use to mix on studio monitors so when I heard people are using these Behringers(can be found for 149 a pair) monitors in a surround sound setup, I got intrigued by the idea of getting truly accurate surround with no coloration.

I ordered 3 pairs of 2030p speakers that should arrive next Monday. I can't wait to get them setup and test how they sound.

According to several audio forums I'm read through, the flat frequency response of these particular speakers is extremely impressive and it also has a large sweetspot. There was also talk about the drivers, caps and overall build quality in these speakers as being equal to speakers that cost 2-3 times its cost.

I'm planning to do a speaker shootout between my Polk Monitors and the Behringers once they come in. I'm hoping to hear details I've never noticed before in my favorite movies.

You did good on the price because they are pushing $200/pr on most sites now and some want $150 each. A year ago you could get them on sale for $110/pr shipped - those days are long gone. I'm not sure how much more detail you'll hear but the frequency response should be flatter.

I think the next step up in price/performance is the Ascend CBM-170SE at just over double what you paid but I don't know of anything in between that I like better.
sholling is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Matt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

You did good on the price because they are pushing $200/pr on most sites now and some want $150 each. A year ago you could get them on sale for $110/pr shipped - those days are long gone. I'm not sure how much more detail you'll hear but the frequency response should be flatter.

I think the next step up in price/performance is the Ascend CBM-170SE at just over double what you paid but I don't know of anything in between that I like better.

When I got mine last month I found a few different places that had them for $159.

I like them for music playback at my computer. They have no bass at all below 80hz so I have them paired with a cheap sub to fill in the bottom end. For less than $300 in speakers/sub, I find this combo hard to beat.
Matt34 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sholling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hemet California
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

I like them for music playback at my computer. They have no bass at all below 80hz so I have them paired with a cheap sub to fill in the bottom end. For less than $300 in speakers/sub, I find this combo hard to beat.

I agree they have to be paired with a sub.
sholling is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
techhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Definitely agree with you guys on the sub, I got a Bic F12 coming in to help fill the low end.

110/pair! Holy cow, what a deal. I think Behringer and retailers may have started to catch on that people are using them for more than just studio mixing. The place I bought them from was sold out after my order and a quick peak at other sites confirmed that they are sold out almost everywhere online.

I'll have to look around though, because with 3 pairs of speakers, I still need one more to have a 7.1 setup. I did notice, as you guys observed, that some places charge 150 for one speaker! I hope I can find a reasonable price for 1 speaker, if not, I'll have to buy another pair, and sell the extra on ebay or something.

Ascends huh? I'll have to check out that model #, I'm sure upgraditis will hit me.
techhappy is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
alittletank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been using the Behringer 2030Ps for my LCR in my 13x16 theater for the last 1.5 years. I love these speakers but do have them paired with a good sub to fill in the low end.

alittletank is offline  
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off