Compact Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok i know there are a few of these discussions but i have some limitations that might change some recommendations.

My room is 12x17 and i sit about 10 feet away.

My Tv is mounted on the wall with two floating shelves directly under it that are about a 16 inches wide each. The shelves are approximately 30 inches from the ground.

I am willing to spend about $2000 with the speakers, receiver, sub, and cables included.

The receiver i would like to get is the Marantz NR1601 as well due to how slim it is. So something that will work with this is a plus or another slim design would be nice.

For the speakers I would like the speakers as compact as possible (for my wife) but to sound good for both movies and music.

I would get in wall speakers but i am in the coast guard so can't really install them and remove them every time i leave.

I also can't have towers in the front due to having two children under 2 years old and 3 dogs. So i don't really want them to be knocked over or messed with.

I also don't really want a huge sub but definitely want good bass to work with the system so i could work with it.

I have been looking at the Mirage MX 5.1 and Energy RC Micro systems. I was also looking at the KEF KHT3005SE but they are a little big for what i am looking for.

I know i have a lot of restrictions but with the knowledge out there i am sure someone can recommend something of good quality to me.

Thanks

Samsung PN58C8000
Sony PS3
Xbox 360 Slim
Mirage Prestige 5
Energy ESW-M8
Marantz NR1601
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 459
The Marantz is good.
Another receiver to look at
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-R-904...6259542&sr=8-9
No in-wall, then look at on-wall
Check these out
http://www.emptek.com/ew25.php
And this
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wouldn't recommend the MX 5.1, most of the micro-sat systems are lacking for music listening IMO.

This is my current suggestion for a good basic system is the NHT Super Zero system http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-spe...&category=3830 These might be a little big? If so then look at

Monitor Audio Radius are also pretty good (on sale) http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm

some Radius 90 + Radius 180 for center would be an improvement over the MX5.1

Marantz receivers are generally excellent.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses I will have to look into them especially that super sub since my buddy mentioned it as well...

Samsung PN58C8000
Sony PS3
Xbox 360 Slim
Mirage Prestige 5
Energy ESW-M8
Marantz NR1601
post #5 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Whatever speakers you buy, try to get 5 of them. Having identical speakers on every channel is ideal, but not always possible. If you can't get 5, then get the front 3 the same and then the rear 2.

For example, the Infinity Primus 162's. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162...le.html?tp=186
That's too much, you should be able to get them for around 60-65 shipped if you look long/hard enough. I picked up 5 Infinity Beta-20's (superior to the p162's) for around 250-260 shipped, but that took a couple of months due to waiting for the best prices (ebay auctions).

Ghetto as heck, but it sounded awesome.

YID DIY
post #6 of 12 Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 AM

Liked: 13
I would seriously consider these Dayton B652's. They are a bit big but the saved cash could inspire the misses to a compromise..

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652

The price is $30 a pair.

I ordered 4 sets (to save shipping) after reading about them here on Mr. Guttenberg's audio blog.

Top Ten Speakers Under $1000
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20016275-47.html
Full Review
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20005175-47.html

Since receiving them the only thing I have found wrong with them is the lack of sense that low price makes to the sound they produce. I have convinced several friends and family members to gamble their $30 purchase and all I hear from them is amazement and praise.

I have a set hooked up to a Pioneer Spec-2 250 watt per channel amp and you simply will not comprehend the sound quality that these very simple speakers can reproduce with a high end source and amplification. They are rated to 50 Watts and with that amp I can verify they will very cleanly handle it. I even used my SPL meter and found no distortion or clipping up to ~94 db.

With a budget such as yours I wouldn't hesitate buying at least one pair to prove their worth. With the savings you could invest in a better receiver or sub (or necklace for the wife).

They have convinced me that great speakers are only 10% design, 10% build quality and 80% pure luck.

EDIT: If your set on those Mirage MX's Nanostats. Newegg has for $599 Free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

++I believe it says it comes with a FREE ONKYO TX-SR508 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver. Not a bad deal.

Home Theater Subreddit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AV Recommendations Subreddit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That's the nanosats, the MX's are a step up from those, still a great deal though!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard a lot about those Dayton Audio's and would love to get them but at 11" tall they are a little big for what i need. I might just grab a pair though just to have due to all of the comments that i have heard and reviews that i have seen from them. Most of the recommendations are for a little bigger than what i want i am looking for someting probably around 8 inches or smaller. Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming i appreciate it.

Samsung PN58C8000
Sony PS3
Xbox 360 Slim
Mirage Prestige 5
Energy ESW-M8
Marantz NR1601
post #9 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

That's the nanosats, the MX's are a step up from those, still a great deal though!

While the MX costs more than the Nanosat... it's a smaller speaker with smaller tweeter and "woofer"

So I wouldn't call them a step up.

The Nanosat is basically the same as the Nanosat Prestige, just without the fancy cabinet... And the Nanosat Prestige does sell for more than the regular Nanosat.

Either way.... both are REALLY small.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What about Mirage OMD-5's instead of the Nanosat... or are they too big?

Energy V-Mini?
post #11 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM

I second the Energy v-mini. I recently went through the "downgrading from towers to appease the wife" scenario. When paired with a sub, the speakers do perform quite well. When playing music using just 2 v-minis and a sub, they sound very clear and exact. Like any small speakers they do have limitations. They perform very well playing jazz (ie. Dianna Krall) but they don't quite suit a harder rock sound (ie. Soundgarden).

As for home theater useage, I currently have two v-mini fronts, a v-mini cc center, two v-mini surrounds and an older Sound Dynamics subwoofer. My space is a little bigger than yours and I sit about 14 feet away from the TV. Once I got my amp setup correctly I can honestly say that I am amazed with the sound coming out of these small speakers. The speakers fill the room with sound and the center speaker does a wonderful job. The speakers are great for what they are: compact bookshelf speakers.

Now for the important factor: wife approval. The speakers blend into the dark brown furniture that I have. They easily fit on a shelf and do not draw attention to themselves with the grill on. Without the grill they also look very nice albeit noticable. My wife hated the previous towers that I had and she originally gave me a hard time for spending money on new speakers. She quickly changed her mind when she saw them and heard them.

Overall, the v-minis are a great compact speaker that are definately a big step up from most satellite systems. Sorry for the lengthy review but it's tough to find reviews on these speakers as they were only released in September.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzamora13 View Post

I have heard a lot about those Dayton Audio's and would love to get them but at 11" tall they are a little big for what i need. I might just grab a pair though just to have due to all of the comments that i have heard and reviews that i have seen from them. Most of the recommendations are for a little bigger than what i want i am looking for someting probably around 8 inches or smaller. Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming i appreciate it.

What did you end up going with?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page