Danley SH-50/SH-60 for dedicated Home Theater - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 705 Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone in the Seattle, WA area that has the SM60F speakers that I can audition? I'm in Victoria, BC, Canada and can drive to that area no problem. No one up this way has Danley. mad.gif

I sent robobob a PM but he hasn't been online in 3 weeks, so I'm asking anyone. He replied so I will demo next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 705 Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Guys

Anyone here ever compare the SM60/69 to the SM100(F/B) series? I'm thinking about going the Danley route for stereo (and maybe in time for HT) use.

The SM60F seems like a solid choice because the pattern would be ideal for the room I'm planning to use them in. The SM100B on the other hand has better low frequency extension which could come in handy as I plan to use them as standalone stereo speakers.

On the other hand I seem to have good roomgain as I'm currently playing with small sealed monitor speakers and I'm not lacking any bass for my taste, which is why I'm leaning towards to the SM60s. Any arguments in favor of the SM100Bs?
post #693 of 705 Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVG View Post

Hi Guys

Anyone here ever compare the SM60/69 to the SM100(F/B) series? I'm thinking about going the Danley route for stereo (and maybe in time for HT) use.

The SM60F seems like a solid choice because the pattern would be ideal for the room I'm planning to use them in. The SM100B on the other hand has better low frequency extension which could come in handy as I plan to use them as standalone stereo speakers.

On the other hand I seem to have good roomgain as I'm currently playing with small sealed monitor speakers and I'm not lacking any bass for my taste, which is why I'm leaning towards to the SM60s. Any arguments in favor of the SM100Bs?
In the SM100 full range family the SM100B goes lower but the SM100F plays louder. Either one has plenty of output for your application.

For general stereo playback I would pick the 100B-because of the extension.

THe SM60F will be louder and a narrower pattern. If you can place it (angled side) against a wall you will pick up extra extension-without getting a reflection off of the wall. This helps get a cleaner sound due to less interference.

You can also boost the low freq a little bit to get some more extension. The 8" drivers for the woofers are pretty stout. They will "let you know" when you are pushing them to hard.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #694 of 705 Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

In the SM100 full range family the SM100B goes lower but the SM100F plays louder. Either one has plenty of output for your application.

For general stereo playback I would pick the 100B-because of the extension.

THe SM60F will be louder and a narrower pattern. If you can place it (angled side) against a wall you will pick up extra extension-without getting a reflection off of the wall. This helps get a cleaner sound due to less interference.

You can also boost the low freq a little bit to get some more extension. The 8" drivers for the woofers are pretty stout. They will "let you know" when you are pushing them to hard.

Thank you for the quick reply mr. Beaver. In that case I'm tempted to move towards the SM60 as both the pattern and its physical size would be perfect for the place I have in mind.
post #695 of 705 Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Thank you for the quick reply mr. Beaver. In that case I'm tempted to move towards the SM60 as both the pattern and its physical size would be perfect for the place I have in mind.
The SM60F also has a bit more extension on the top end (to above 20KHz)-but I can't hear that high anymore frown.gif

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #696 of 705 Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

The SM60F also has a bit more extension on the top end (to above 20KHz)-but I can't hear that high anymore frown.gif

Not sure I'd be able to either! I'd probably voice them down a bit up high anyway for stereo use, perhaps a negative high shelf filter.
That combined with the room gain at my main LP should work very well I think.
I'm especially interested in the real world results of the pattern control, the overall experience seems to muddy up with conventional speakers at higher dynamics as the sound is sprayed over the walls and ceiling.
post #697 of 705 Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I'm sporting a couple of sm60f's in my room currently. The pattern control compared to my JTR 212's is remarkable. It makes a big difference in my narrow, untreated room. Sitting on an end seat closest to the wall is weird because the lack of reflected energy off the near wall from the closest speaker is immediately noticed. It's like there is cotton in that ear, lol. There seems to be nothing there.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #698 of 705 Old 04-16-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure I'd be able to either! I'd probably voice them down a bit up high anyway for stereo use, perhaps a negative high shelf filter.

Voice them down? Not sure I think you'll want to do that, although I realize preferences plays a part. They are not bright in any way to my ears.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #699 of 705 Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Hey Gooddoc
What do you hear different between the JTR's and the SM60F? Like I said above I am demoing them next month. I also have a small room. I'm hoping they are very suitable. How about the resolution, same, less, more??
post #700 of 705 Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Hey Gooddoc
What do you hear different between the JTR's and the SM60F? Like I said above I am demoing them next month. I also have a small room. I'm hoping they are very suitable. How about the resolution, same, less, more??

The compression driver on the JTR 212's has a phenomenal amount of detail at lower volumes that is not there with the Danley's. However, as the volume is turned up that advantage disappears and the Danley's actually become more listenable than the 212's, which can sometimes be piercing in comparison. At higher volumes I don't feel the Danley's are lacking in detail or resolution at all.

But one thing the Danley's have going for them is a phenomenally deep and wide soundstage. Not that the 212's don't, it's just that the Danley's are slightly better at it.

Also, the pattern control of the Danley's is clearly evident in my room compared to the 212's. Almost too good as a matter of fact, and when I sit on the end of my couch it's so noticeable that it's actually a distraction. It's likely that I'll get used to it, but that's my impression so far. But that pattern control also results in far less room interaction and definitely is noticeable in a good way when the volume is raised.

I have a difficult decision in front of me since they are both exceptional speakers with their unique strengths and weaknesses. But I'll have to make a decision eventually. If the Danley's do go I will have a very good deal for someone on a pair and can already say definitively that they are on heck of a speaker. Same goes for the 212's.

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #701 of 705 Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info. What is the size of your room?
post #702 of 705 Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

13' × 28'.

I just got done readjusting the toe-in and listening to some Dylan. These speakers are growing on me big time. Late night volumes and they sounded excellent. I'll tell you, if I can improve on what I'm hearing with some tweaks to the sub crossover and perhaps some EQ, I think these might find a permanent home smile.gif.

I haven't done anything but plop them into place in my room and messed with toe-in. Still using the 212 crossover of 60 Hz, haven't even touched that. Lots to do still to optimize them. I just wanted to be sure I liked them enough to bother.

No doubt they're worth the bother. I'm excited to see how much better I can make them.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #703 of 705 Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Nice, can't wait to hear these next month! You have them along the 13 foot wall I assume.

Do you notice a difference being it's a point source?
post #704 of 705 Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the 13'.

The fact that they're point source is not something that's heard as a discrete quality. I'm sure it is a factor in phase coherency and other things that are contributing to the overall SQ. But how those things actually contribute to what I hear, I don't know.

I think the horn pattern control is the thing that is most noticeable to my ears. It seems reasonable to assume that point source and pattern control are tightly correlated, but Ivan or Tom would have to chime in on that one.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #705 of 705 Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I'm sporting a couple of sm60f's in my room currently. The pattern control compared to my JTR 212's is remarkable. It makes a big difference in my narrow, untreated room. Sitting on an end seat closest to the wall is weird because the lack of reflected energy off the near wall from the closest speaker is immediately noticed. It's like there is cotton in that ear, lol. There seems to be nothing there.

An astute observation.
Especially impactful in this situation, ... as you said, a relatively narrow and untreated space.

Quote:

The compression driver on the JTR 212's has a phenomenal amount of detail at lower volumes that is not there with the Danley's. However, as the volume is turned up that advantage disappears and the Danley's actually become more listenable than the 212's, which can sometimes be piercing in comparison. At higher volumes I don't feel the Danley's are lacking in detail or resolution at all.

This is very interesting.
Taking it at face value, and knowing the psycho-acoustics involved in how the Equal Loudness Curves impact our experiences, I'd suggest that perhaps the native balance of the Danley lends itself to higher SPL playback. Similarly, maybe the JTR is voiced less reticently, thus allowing for detailed lower level playback.

Likewise, the controlled directivity element likely comes into play as well. Just as an overly reverberant space can easily become overly bright and cringe worthy, ... the "less room, more speaker" wide band pattern control approach employed by the Danley's controlled/constant directivity, contains that reflected energy away from the early reflection detail smearing type, and more toward the late reflection lush, spaciousness type. The latter is subjectively a lot more pleasing.

Quote:

But one thing the Danley's have going for them is a phenomenally deep and wide soundstage. Not that the 212's don't, it's just that the Danley's are slightly better at it.

Also, the pattern control of the Danley's is clearly evident in my room compared to the 212's. Almost too good as a matter of fact, and when I sit on the end of my couch it's so noticeable that it's actually a distraction. It's likely that I'll get used to it, but that's my impression so far. But that pattern control also results in far less room interaction and definitely is noticeable in a good way when the volume is raised.

I have a difficult decision in front of me since they are both exceptional speakers with their unique strengths and weaknesses. But I'll have to make a decision eventually. If the Danley's do go I will have a very good deal for someone on a pair and can already say definitively that they are on heck of a speaker. Same goes for the 212's.

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

Fascinating comments Gooddoc, really.

You do have a tough decision. Acoustically, the controlled dispersion effects can be created on the listening room/acoustic treatment side of the equation (proper ITD gap). It would need to be comprehensive effort, but achievable IMO. But, what is more difficult is the design elements of the Danley, i.e., band-pass distortion lowering, coherent phase, all in a point source.

The great imaging/deep soundstage ... is a product of a coherent, tidy phase response, and a proper ITD gap (as long as the recorded content has it).

Please keep us updated.

As always Gooddoc, thanks for sharing, good stuff.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page