Bookshelf speakers to replace TV speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
The TV speakers in our Vizio are too poor to live with. So I want to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers and run them on our onkyo tx-nr607.

I've been looking at the Canton GLE 403 on AC4L, they seem like a great deal at that price, and they look like they play lower than a lot of bookshelf speakers which is important because I will not have a sub.

Once in a while we want to play music through the speakers when doing other things besides watching TV.

My concern is that my receiver doesn't have enough power for these.
The 607 has a claimed 90 watts and Canton recommends that you power them with an amp higher than 140 watts.

So how well will this work?
Or if it won't please make suggestions to other bookshelf speakers that can play a little lower than typical. My budget for speakers is about 300.00
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM

Liked: 11
I bought the Cantons you are referring to from A4less about a month ago. It's a good deal especially with the free shipping.

I have had a smaller pair of Cantons for about thirty years and have always thought of them as some of my better speakers.

I did some AB comparisons to my RSL towers, old Canton bookshelfs and the new 403 Cantons were the best of the bunch.

I have read that the bass response as reported by Canton is some kind of european standard and that the actual US spec would be higher. However Audyssey pegged the crossover frequency at 40 Hz which is pretty close to the Canton spec. I have a test DVD and ran a sweep and could hear good bass down to 50 Hz which is pretty good in my non expert opinion.

I had them hooked up to an old 40 watt Sony amp and they sounded fine to me. Now they are on my SR6005 as Front Height speakers. I have a 23 inch Visio and the Canton speakers are in a totally different class. I wouldn't hesitate hooking them up to a 90 watt amp.

Zeuspaul
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You should be fine. The C403 are relatively efficient, and unless your room is very large, even a 50W receiver should be able to offer decent volume. Most receivers can't output full power over 5 speakers, but since you are only running 2 your Onkyo should easily handle output up to 90W cleanly.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Also this will sound like a weird comparison but I just found out that I can have a pair of Yamaha NS-6490 for free.

I could sell the Yamaha's of course I don't have to keep them. I realize that the Canton GLE 403 and yammy 6490 are in different leagues. But for the sake of saving some $$ how do you think they would compare?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatenterrier View Post

Also this will sound like a weird comparison but I just found out that I can have a pair of Yamaha NS-6490 for free.

I could sell the Yamaha's of course I don't have to keep them. I realize that the Canton GLE 403 and yammy 6490 are in different leagues. But for the sake of saving some $$ how do you think they would compare?

Well the free Yamaha's are on the way. I'm actually excited to test them since they did well in the audioholics budget bookshelf shootout.

I won't hesitate to sell Them for a second if I'm not in love with them.

Ac4l also has some nice kef IQ30 speaks. So it would be between those and the canton 403 at that point.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well the free Yamaha's are on the way. I'm actually excited to test them since they did well in the audioholics budget bookshelf shootout.

I won't hesitate to sell Them for a second if I'm not in love with them.

Ac4l also has some nice kef IQ30 speaks. So it would be between those and the canton 403 at that point.

Its seems I'm talking to myself. But foe what it's worth the Yamaha's arrived and they won't do.

So I really want to make a decision on either the kef iq30 or canton glen 403. Here are some pros and cons that I can think of.

The kef pros.
Front port
Finish that matches my furniture
Nice to look at
Cons:
People have written of them being bright

Canton pros:
7 inch woofer (might play a tad lower)
Have only read good opinions about them
50 cheaper
Cons:
Hard to find many people who have heard them.

Fwiw I own some klipsch rb-61 and tried them in this location. They have decent bass but the highs are powerful and fatiguing when playing music
Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 542
The KEF is neutral sounding - if you can't decide, then flip a coin.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The KEF is neutral sounding - if you can't decide, then flip a coin.

Thanks. So you have heard them?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM

My Vizio has horrible sound as well. My last Visio actually had 1 bad speaker. This one has 2 speakers but it doesent sound much better. Well I am assuming it has 2 speakers.

Its a small bedroom TV so ill probably get a pair of computer speakers. Hate that I have to turn them on and off, but oh well.

Signature.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

Its a small bedroom TV so ill probably get a pair of computer speakers. Hate that I have to turn them on and off, but oh well.

Audioengine speakers have a feature that they go into standby/idle when there is no audio signal. I leave mine on all the time.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Audioengine speakers have a feature that they go into standby/idle when there is no audio signal. I leave mine on all the time.

I thought about this route sure is simple without a recover. Do you think it would work in a huge room where I do like to listen to music once in a while.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
An issue many people run into when using computer speakers for their TV's is they don't have the ability to control the volume remotely. Some TV have variable line level outputs but that's becoming very rare in newer TV's.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought about this route sure is simple without a recover. Do you think it would work in a huge room where I do like to listen to music once in a while.
The Audioengines sound pretty good with a sub, but I would say you still might not be happy since they are still compact sized bookshelf speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post
An issue many people run into when using computer speakers for their TV's is they don't have the ability to control the volume remotely. Some TV have variable line level outputs but that's becoming very rare in newer TV's.
That is true, the reason you want a receiver is to have a remote to control the volume.