Martin Logan floor standing speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to put together a decent 5.1 in our new house. Auditioned a few different speakers (B&W, Definitive, Monitor and Martin Logan) at the nearby Magnolia and found the ML Source (electrostatic ones) to be the one that both wifey and i are gravitating towards. Wife is after the looks and the i like the sound (especially the clarity and the definition in the sweet spot). Couple of things that i wanted folks to weigh in on:-

1. The difference between the sound in the sweet spot vis-a-vis just outside was quite noticeable. Is that what any of you have experienced as well?
2. While reading up on it, came across some opinions that these need more than a home theater receiver to drive them. I am going to use a Onkyo 708. will that be enough?
3. Any recommendations for a matching center speaker and in-ceiling surround/rear speakers? The Magnolia guy recommended a B&W HTM 62 as a center (he said that it matches the warmth of the MLs) and said that i should stay away from SpeakerCraft in-wall surrounds.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
martin logans (the larger ones especially) are very power hungry. I would suggest getting a 2 channel stand alone amplifier for those. you can drive them with your onkyo (i've done it) but they really won't shine they way they can with that little power. not to mention, the electrostatic panels can dip into the 1ohm area and that could easily melt your receivers amp section.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks. Any suggestions on the amp? Also, do you think that the Source, which is smaller in size (see specs below) will need the separate amp? I saw a ML video, which seems to suggest that you don't. I am really confused on this point.

Any opinion from folks who have used Martin Logan's smaller Source speakers?

Frequency Response:42–22,000 Hz ± 3dB
Horizontal Dispersion:30 degrees
Vertical Dispersion:28" (71cm)
line sourceSensitivity:90 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance (Binding Posts):5 ohms, 1.6 @ 20kHz
Crossover Frequency:470 Hz
Components:Custom-wound audio transformer, air core coils
Woofer Type:8" (20.3cm) high excursion, high-rigidity paper cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format; bass reflex
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Emotiva has their upa-7 on sale again.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
just get the purity IMO. it's a better speaker then the source and is self powered which means you can run almost anything with it. Get the feature for a center channel, its also self powered.