JTR triple 8HT or triple 12HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 56
OK, I'm getting to the point where I'll be ordering speakers and doing some final drawings for the HT room. Aprox 26x18x10high. JTR triple 12HT max db is 133 and triple 8HT is 129 db. I am going to have way more than enough subs in the room to account for 80hz on down. My question is, will I be wasting money on the 12HTs? I've also heard that the 8HTs may sound just a "tad" better when pushed. Keep in mind that these will be pushed very hard (subs will be capable of 140db+ at LP), and a mix of JTR slanted 8s and S8s will be used for surrounds. Been leaning towards the 12HTs but just had been thinking about the mix of 12HTs and S8/slanted 8 surrounds.
audiovideoholic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Member
 
allanf714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Those speakers are 98 and 101db efficient a boast a very high power handling capability. Nobody "pushes" a speaker like that indoors and in a room that size.... regardless of what you think your subs are capable of. If you do... you money is better spent on the hearing aids that you'll be purchasing to partially correct for the self inflicted damage.
razzy3 likes this.
allanf714 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

Those speakers are 98 and 101db efficient a boast a very high power handling capability. Nobody "pushes" a speaker like that indoors and in a room that size.... regardless of what you think your subs are capable of. If you do... you money is better spent on the hearing aids that you'll be purchasing to partially correct for the self inflicted damage.

Man you are bright! Thanks for responding to the question at hand.

But just for kicks! Why are you worried about my hearing?

Having the ability to play speakers loud doesnt mean that one will lock themselves in the room for extended periods of time with the volume full throttle!
audiovideoholic is online now  
post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Member
 
allanf714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My point was (since you did not seem capable of reading between the lines) that the diff in output between those two products is negligible for that application. You will not find the max output of either. If you are trying to decide between the T8's and the T12's... that decision should be made based on other factors.

Call Jeff
allanf714 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,663
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 270
pfffff, who invited mom to the party lol

Well I have the 12's and really love them, My room is 28x14 (with the theater contained in the first 20 feet as it's open to the entire basement after that) and crank the crap out of them on a daily basis, I also have 2 sets of single 8HT's and also really like them. You can't go wrong, your gonna be blown away no matter what you do.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

My point was (since you did not seem capable of reading between the lines) that the diff in output between those two products is negligible for that application. You will not find the max output of either. If you are trying to decide between the T8's and the T12's... that decision should be made based on other factors.

Call Jeff

Well if I put enough power to them then they can and will reach their specs. And as for other factors, I listed them. The use of the 8 inch surround speakers and the lower FR of the 12s is not a concern. Which leads right back to my original post. I've read that the 8s may sound just a tad better. Will I have any advantage in choosing the 12s since the increase in efficiency is the larger driver which does not match the surrounds. The extra dbs the 12HTs have will probably never be used if they are crossed before the lower frequencies.
audiovideoholic is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

pfffff, who invited mom to the party lol

Well I have the 12's and really love them, My room is 28x14 (with the theater contained in the first 20 feet as it's open to the entire basement after that) and crank the crap out of them on a daily basis, I also have 2 sets of single 8HT's and also really like them. You can't go wrong, your gonna be blown away no matter what you do.

Thanks for replying. I posted in the JTR thread but it gets shoved back really quickly so went ahead and started this one. Yeah I know I will be very excited either way!

OT but you are going to be excited once you get the Mals as well lol. I normally only hang around in the DIY just because of the response above, but I'm just wanting others like you who have experience with them to give me their 2 cents. 7 channel music is my "biggest concern" with the mismatch even tho I know it will sound great either way. But, $1200 saved by going with the 8s isnt a bad little chunk either (6 FI 18's is how I look at it)

Oh, what are you feeding them, and have you took any readings from your LP to see how loud they are?
audiovideoholic is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
khellandros66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd say do triple 8's and money save can be used toward 9.1 or 11.1 surround. Using DSX and XT32 your system would be superb!
khellandros66 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Member
 
allanf714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
audiovideoholic... let me apologize for my original post. Weather and the spotty power situation has got me pretty stressed out. My response was rude and I'm sorry for that. We're all here b/c we love the same things .

I use T8's across the front....slant 8's for height channels and side surrounds. They are truly the best media speaker I have ever heard in a home environment. You're going to love them either way. I've always been curious as to the same question. I once read that the T12's served as a better wave guide for the compression tweets. Now whether that translates into better sound..... not sure? My guess is that someone would have to do a side by side comparison. I can only think of one person who can do that.... and he's selling them both

Cheers
allanf714 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

OK, I'm getting to the point where I'll be ordering speakers and doing some final drawings for the HT room. Aprox 26x18x10high. JTR triple 12HT max db is 133 and triple 8HT is 129 db. I am going to have way more than enough subs in the room to account for 80hz on down. My question is, will I be wasting money on the 12HTs? I've also heard that the 8HTs may sound just a "tad" better when pushed. Keep in mind that these will be pushed very hard (subs will be capable of 140db+ at LP), and a mix of JTR slanted 8s and S8s will be used for surrounds. Been leaning towards the 12HTs but just had been thinking about the mix of 12HTs and S8/slanted 8 surrounds.

I think you will be fine with either. I have T12's (3),T8's (2) and Slanted 8's (4) for a 9.2 config in a room that is smaller than yours. I did a quick comparo with the T8's a year ago and I preferred the 12's for midbass and what seemed like a bigger/fuller sound. This could have been a psychological response based entirely on my preferring the look of the T12's. Now that they are behind an AT screen (BTW, highly recommend the AT screen setup) that point is moot . My guess is that as long as the low (<80Hz) frequencies are covered, it would be difficult to tell them apart in a double blind test.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
carlm9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would agree with RMK 100%. I have been using a Legacy Audio Silverscreen (8" drivers) ever since I downsized from a Marquis (12") drivers and can't tell the difference. I cross it over at 80 hz and can't tell except when I used to be able to run the Marquis at full range, but that was just playing. Having owned the Triple 12's, I can tell you they are heavy! It wouldn't be so bad moving around the 8's.
carlm9 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the 8s just way all drivers will be the same for stereo.
audiovideoholic is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

audiovideoholic... let me apologize for my original post. Weather and the spotty power situation has got me pretty stressed out. My response was rude and I'm sorry for that. We're all here b/c we love the same things .

I use T8's across the front....slant 8's for height channels and side surrounds. They are truly the best media speaker I have ever heard in a home environment. You're going to love them either way. I've always been curious as to the same question. I once read that the T12's served as a better wave guide for the compression tweets. Now whether that translates into better sound..... not sure? My guess is that someone would have to do a side by side comparison. I can only think of one person who can do that.... and he's selling them both

Cheers

Apology excepted man!

I've been dealing with the weather as well it sucks.
audiovideoholic is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Member
 
allanf714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I think you will be fine with either. I have T12's (3),T8's (2) and Slanted 8's (4) for a 9.2 config in a room that is smaller than yours. I did a quick comparo with the T8's a year ago and I preferred the 12's for midbass and what seemed like a bigger/fuller sound. This could have been a psychological response based entirely on my preferring the look of the T12's. Now that they are behind an AT screen (BTW, highly recommend the AT screen setup) that point is moot . My guess is that as long as the low (<80Hz) frequencies are covered, it would be difficult to tell them apart in a double blind test.
RMK what AT screen material are you using? Just curious.
allanf714 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

RMK what AT screen material are you using? Just curious.

I have the Seymour Center Stage XD screen.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off