Does this speaker sound like it could be blown? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
Hopefully somebody will be able to help me. The other day I hooked up our Onkyo 7.1 home theatre system. The speakers we are using are Infinity speakers.

Anyway, here is my issue. The front right speaker sounds as if it could be blown. At low to medium listening volume, the speaker sounds great. However, when listening to something loud, i.e. music, it sounds like the speaker could be at least partially blown. This "blown" sound only happens sometimes though, usually when its really bassy.

I know what a completely blown speaker sounds like, the speaker definitely isn't completely blown. The sound that is coming from the speaker at high volumes sounds similiar to that sound however. But like I said, it is not constant, only at some parts.

It is not a very obvious sound either. To someone who doesn't know much about audio they may not even be able to notice, but I do for sure. What are the chances this speaker is blown? Or could there be some sort of other problem?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfingler View Post

Hello,
Hopefully somebody will be able to help me. The other day I hooked up our Onkyo 7.1 home theatre system. The speakers we are using are Infinity speakers.

Anyway, here is my issue. The front right speaker sounds as if it could be blown. At low to medium listening volume, the speaker sounds great. However, when listening to something loud, i.e. music, it sounds like the speaker could be at least partially blown. This "blown" sound only happens sometimes though, usually when its really bassy.

I know what a completely blown speaker sounds like, the speaker definitely isn't completely blown. The sound that is coming from the speaker at high volumes sounds similiar to that sound however. But like I said, it is not constant, only at some parts.

It is not a very obvious sound either. To someone who doesn't know much about audio they may not even be able to notice, but I do for sure. What are the chances this speaker is blown? Or could there be some sort of other problem?

I wonder if you know what a "blown" speaker sounds like. If the HF is "blown," it will sound different from the situation with a "blown" mid or woofer. So which is it?

OTOH, if the issue is intermittent or level-dependent, it suggests an intermittent connection or cold solder joint.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hate to ask a question to answer your question. Have you been listening to the speakers at loud enough levels to blow them? Most of us know the limits of the speakers we own and what volumes they are comfortable with. There is the point of loud where the speaker is working just fine without much risk of damage. Then there is the loud where you start to reach driver compression and distortion sets in and damage to the speaker starts. Have you exposed the speaker to the latter? Some people don't care to know and honestly cant hear when a speaker is reaching its limits. Im giving you the benefit of the doubt that you can hear and no when you are pushing a speaker to hard. The noise you are hearing, especially during bass heavy moments. Does point to a driver that is blown. One other possibility is that something has went wrong inside the speakers cross over. It could possibly have a weak solder. Not real likely, but it can happen. A part of the cross over could of become over heated and damaged if the speaker was exposed to loud volumes. There is usually protection for this but it's never a guarantee.
Also keep in mind that a speaker can be blown and only have issues at certain volumes or while playing certain frequencies. A blown speaker does not have to sound bad all the time, at all volumes, or while producing all frequencies to qualify as a blown speaker.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfingler View Post

Hello,

It has been my experience that a blown speaker doesn't play well at low volumes. You might have done some damage to the voice coil on the speaker if you had the volume up loud when there was a big explosion on the sound track.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page