Klipsch Synergy F-20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering what people's opinions are of the Klipsch Synergy F-20 Floor standing Speakers. I have been looking to purchase some speakers recently and am still unsure what to get. I found a pretty good deal on a pair of these.

I have also been looking also at the Ascend CMT-340 SE's and am curious how the two compare.

If I did go with the Klipsch speakers, what center would you recommend? Thanks for the assistance!

Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Liked: 14
I have never heard them before, but Newegg is running a deal on them $399 for one and you get the second one free, plus free shipping. Sounds like a great deal to me if they sound great.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also curious about the newegg deal. If anyone has these speakers, please give some input.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM

My advice is to make sure you listen to Klipsch Speakers before you buy any. They can always be found at Best Buy which I'm sure you have nearby. They have a completely different sound than most other speakers with their horn-loaded tweeters. It's an aggressive/harsh sound and while some actually like it a lot for HT, many people don't because it causes fatigue on the ears and can be downright painful to listen to for long periods of time. Just make sure you gauge your taste for their sound before you drop $400 on them.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

It is the Newegg deal I am looking at as well, and I am pretty torn. They look nice, but I have no ability to listen to them because I am currently in Japan and looking to build this system before I get home. I think I may hold off for a bit longer. Thanks for the input all!

Nate
post #6 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 PM

Liked: 12
I'm also interested in hearing opinions of the synergy series speakers from Klipsch, I'm considering buying either a pair or RF82's, or the F3 synergy series, to me they appear to be the same speaker, just some mild cosmetic differences, they sound almost exactly the same, but I'm not much of an audiophile...

anyone else demo'd them or taken a closer look at the difference between the RF series, and the synegy series?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon24 View Post
My advice is to make sure you listen to Klipsch Speakers before you buy any. They can always be found at Best Buy which I'm sure you have nearby. They have a completely different sound than most other speakers with their horn-loaded tweeters. It's an aggressive/harsh sound and while some actually like it a lot for HT, many people don't because it causes fatigue on the ears and can be downright painful to listen to for long periods of time. Just make sure you gauge your taste for their sound before you drop $400 on them.

Hope this helps.
Come on now, thats a little rough I would think. Maybe thats your opinion but it is definatlely not a fact. I will agree the that high end can be aggressive in certian types of music... but these speakers aren't really built to be playing classical.

To the OP definately go listen to them at a store, just remember they will sound different in your house and you can tweak that so they are just the way you like them with some settings on your amp and some treatments. These speakers are fantastic for rap, rock, hiphop, dance, electronic certian country and music of that nature, but for home theater they are absolutely fantastic. I listened to many speakers before I bought my Klipsch set up and every time I second guess myself and go listen to something else to see if I like it better, I am always pleased I went with Klipsch. However that is just my opinion.

As far as the F-30's and the RF-82's I personally would go with the 82's. While on paper they look very similar I found the reference line to be more detailed, clear and seemed to have a better soundstage amongst other area's they seemed to excel in and were just overall a "nicer" sound. Again that is just my personal opinion from experience.

I don't think you would be unhappy either way. They are great speakers and Im sure you would enjoy them. But do let your ears be the judge of that and not mine.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #8 of 15 Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

I had a pair of F-20's for a short time, they came in a large pack of gear I won on eBay. If you get them you should use the Synergy Center or a Synergy bookshelf.

What I liked about them overall is they were sensitive, could play loud, had strong treble, and good bass (big enclosure). I agree they were a bright speaker but imho this can always be toned down.

On the same note I didn't like the sound of them at all, nor did I care for the low end straight edge enclosures with thin and poorly edged laminate.

Overall to me, they were kind of like a hot-rodded budget Polk. Same inexpensive build quality but with more capacity for screaming. Subs from the Synergy line are similar... awfully loud in the 30+Hz range for the money, but crappy construction and sketchy BASH amps. This whole line was tailored to demo/stand out well in a Best Buy environment.

For regular price I would never consider them. Considering discount hunting, I could see them being price attractive, but then I would rather hold out for discount pricing on KEF's or Boston Acoustics, among others. The most price comparable new (clearance priced) towers I had to the F-20's were a pair of Boston VR2's... and I would take those by a huge margin.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Klipsch speakers are sensitive. If you have an amp, or receiver that is bright sounding they will sound even brighter. A $200 solid state receiver is not going to sound good at all with Klipsch.
Also, Klipsch should use high quality speaker cables- about $5 to $6 per foot at least- about $120 or more for a pair of wire to connect two speakers. Also, CD players should have high quality interconnects.
I am using a vintage Marantz integrated amp with a pair of Klipsch SF-1 (same but older version of F10). I use a Toshiba dvd/cd player. The Toshiba sounds better than a more expensive Onkyo CD player with
the higher priced interconnects. The sound is nice, smooth, detailed, and the bass is good, the highs are clear and detailed, and the midrange is great. A lot of people seem to think Klipsch are best mated with a tube amp. I would never have anything else but Klipsch. I found what it takes to make them sound their best. I would take the F20s over a pair of $1500 B&W. Just my thoughts.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 14
I own a pair of Klipsch F-20 floor speakers, and they are exellent for movies and music. You can't go wrong.smile.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM

I have 2 F-20's and 2- F-30's within my timbre matched Synergy 5.1 and 7.2 Home Theater Systems. It is quite obvious you do not have an accurate grasp on the subject speakers or have ever heard them installed in a "balanced" system I have Yamaha RX-V871 and a Yamaha RX-V567 with a Carver C-1 Pre Amp. My 5.1 System is totally awesome with the holographic projections of musical voices almost rivaling Sunfire Grand Theatre Systems.

You should go listen to a Klipsch Synergy balanced and pre amped system before you speak broad, sweeping inaccurate statements.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 AM

errata:

Rixirox's reply was directed to: Kabigon's post:

" My advice is to make sure you listen to Klipsch Speakers before you buy any. They can always be found at Best Buy which I'm sure you have nearby. They have a completely different sound than most other speakers with their horn-loaded tweeters. It's an aggressive/harsh sound and while some actually like it a lot for HT, many people don't because it causes fatigue on the ears and can be downright painful to listen to for long periods of time. Just make sure you gauge your taste for their sound before you drop $400 on them.

Hope this helps."
post #13 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Guys would you please suggest a good AV Receiver for these speakers ? I just bought them from Newegg and don't know which receiver will be good for these 'bright' speakers.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM

Liked: 13

In my research, I have read several people like teaming them with the Yamaha receivers. If Newegg has them on sale still, you can get a screaming deal on the Yamaha RX-V773WA. My wife bought me one and I love it! Chalk full of features for the money.

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post

In my research, I have read several people like teaming them with the Yamaha receivers. If Newegg has them on sale still, you can get a screaming deal on the Yamaha RX-V773WA. My wife bought me one and I love it! Chalk full of features for the money.

Thanks! Someone told me that the Yamaha receivers are on the bright side and may not compliment the already bright Klipsch speakers. What do you think ?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Synergy F 20 Premium Dual 6 5 Inch Floor Standing Speaker , Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center , Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page