speakers $3K to $5K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have posted the following in another forum but I would like to get some thoughts from the folks here.

"Hi,

I am looking to replace my speakers after 20+ years. I am looking for some suggestions of speakers to audition in the $3,000 to $5000 range. New or used is ok with me.

I will be driving with a Cambridge 840 integrated. Source is CD, vinyl and computer. My room is quite large 24' x 26' with 12' ceiling. I listen to all types of music (except rap and new country). Listening levels can vary from quiet to very loud when my wife listens.

I have heard a used pair of Aerial Model 9's and a new pair of Warfedale OpusII-3 that I liked quite a bit. I was not crazy about the Revel F32s or the Vienna's I have heard. Totems sounded good but I don't think the Forests stand a chance in my big room.

I look forward to reading some of your suggestions."

I also followed up with this....

"Ok let me get your opinion on another option. I live very close to a guy that makes speakers. I have never met him and he seems to be pretty hard to get in touch with so they might be next to impossible to audition. However the thought of a locally made product is very appealing. I am not a technical person at all, I am in this hobby strictly out of my love for music.

So if anyone wants to look at the following and give me their thoughts I would really appreciate your more knowledgeable opinions.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/8841text.htm"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post

I have posted the following in another forum but I would like to get some thoughts from the folks here.

"Hi,

I am looking to replace my speakers after 20+ years. I am looking for some suggestions of speakers to audition in the $3,000 to $5000 range. New or used is ok with me.

I will be driving with a Cambridge 840 integrated. Source is CD, vinyl and computer. My room is quite large 24' x 26' with 12' ceiling. I listen to all types of music (except rap and new country). Listening levels can vary from quiet to very loud when my wife listens.

I have heard a used pair of Aerial Model 9's and a new pair of Warfedale OpusII-3 that I liked quite a bit. I was not crazy about the Revel F32s or the Vienna's I have heard. Totems sounded good but I don't think the Forests stand a chance in my big room.

I look forward to reading some of your suggestions."

I also followed up with this....

"Ok let me get your opinion on another option. I live very close to a guy that makes speakers. I have never met him and he seems to be pretty hard to get in touch with so they might be next to impossible to audition. However the thought of a locally made product is very appealing. I am not a technical person at all, I am in this hobby strictly out of my love for music.

So if anyone wants to look at the following and give me their thoughts I would really appreciate your more knowledgeable opinions.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/8841text.htm"

Is this strictly for two "main" speakers for 2-channel music listening? The way you worded your post, it seems so.
Sounds like you have done a little homework already.

Have you considered adding a subwoofer to the mix to help with the low end and free up mains so they could handle the rest of the spectrum better? If so, maybe you could find someone near you that has some JTR or Seaton Sound speakers. They have the ability to fill that big room provided you add a sub or two. Most that I know of here have their speakers setup in a multiple-channel setup, but many of them also listen to 2-channel music and love them.

I have also heard some Tannoy offerings that sound quite good and can play loud.

How close do you sit to the speakers? If you sit close enough and can add a sub, Salk has some offerings that also might fit the bill.

Also, what speakers are you coming from?

And just a reminder: listen, listen, listen, to as many speakers as you can before you buy. If possible, in your own room.

Patrick
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Focal Electras

Sounds good!
post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 207
At 3-5k, in my opinion, there are 4 products one needs to consider. At his level, the product needs to perform in all aspects. Many product do well in extension, smoothness of response, detail, but all too many fail with regard to maintaining linearity at high playback levels. For me, this destroys the realism, the suspension of dis-belief, if the product thins out and distortion products impede the experience. That stated;

Mark Seaton's Catalyst is a solid choice. With nearly 2kw of dsp contoured, on-board power, this statement product is the steal in high end audio active loudspeakers.

Earl Geddes' Summa also exhibits solid performance. Geddes' is second to none when it comes to waveguide theory and implementation into a commercial product. This is the finest, high output, controlled directivity, 2 way loudspeaker in the world.

Jeff Permanian's Triple 12 HT is a steal and has recently been improved with a compression tweeter upgrade. To achieve the proper weight and dynamics to recreate the realism of a live event, there is no replacement for displacement. This product combines the all muscle in the world, with the finesse of a finely voiced product. In my opinion, JTR's speaker products are the steal in passive loudspeakers today.

If ones space is somewhat smaller, or the SPL levels aren't as extreme, the JBL 6332 Studio Monitor is a technological tour de force. With all the work of Toole, Olive, and the entire R/D staff of Harman, this product has incredible features that simply allow it to playback in a controlled manner, and simply get out of the way. No other loudspeaker in the world has more research and development in it than this speaker. This is the result of all that effort. A phenomenal product.

Additionally, a professional, compression tweeter based, controlled directivity, high output, bi-amplified 2 way loudspeaker, from either Meyer, or JBL, would be a very good choice if sound quality trumps aesthetics. They both have outstanding quality work, and either would be a very good choice.

That's it, good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Salk Signature Sound. If you check their forum you'll most likely find loyal customers in your area that will let you listen to theirs.

HT2-TL
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page