B&w cm centre channel! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Guys,

My current setup is the B&W MT-30 kit with additional 2 x M1 speakers in a 7.1 Auddysey DSX (FRONT WIDE) setup which consists of 7 x B&W M1 Sats and a PV1 Sub.

Now I am happy with my setup but I am thinking of selling my 5 x M1 from the front stage and upgrading to the B&W CM8 and the CM Centre channel. Now this is a big upgrade and its an upgrade which will cost some bit of money so I am thinking of doing it gradually.

I am thinking of upgrading my centre channel first with the B&W CM Centre channel and using the remaining M1 Sats in the same Audyssey DSX 7.1 Setup. I am using the Onkyo 608 Amp.

Please can you guys advise me if this centre channel will be too overpowering for the M1's or will it be a good match?

Look forward in hearing from you guys. I use my setup mainley for movies and as you all know the centre channel is the most important so want to get the best sound and feel that the M1 is good as surrounds but maybe not so good as a centre channel in my fairly big lounge..

Please see the link for pictures of my current setup to give you an idea.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...member=mkohman

Thank you and look forward in hearing from you very soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
first, the CM Center 2 is much better center channel than the CM1 due to its three way design. The CM1 is going to be the weak link once you have your CM8

Secondly, the Center channel won't be an exact match for your M1, the CM series has a different sound than the M1, but it won't be "overpowering". If anything, you should notice that the sound will be more "fuller" sounding even when it's matched to the same volume as your M1. As long as you calibrate your receiver using Audyssey, it won't overpower the sound at all.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
+1 for CM Centre 2, true 3-way and WTMW design, see if you can find CM Centre and CM Centre 2 at local bestbuy/magnolia you can compare them side by side.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for your help guys.. I think I am going to stick with my setup for a little while more and then upgrade all together in a few years.. I am actually noticing an improvement in my M1's I think they are beggining to bed in nicely now.. Possibly 100 hrs been used by now... also bought two rugs for my lounge and huge improvment over sound..
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post

Thanks for your help guys.. I think I am going to stick with my setup for a little while more and then upgrade all together in a few years.. I am actually noticing an improvement in my M1's I think they are beggining to bed in nicely now.. Possibly 100 hrs been used by now... also bought two rugs for my lounge and huge improvment over sound..

While I haven't heard the whole line of B&W, I was at BB Magnolia yesterday and listened to the 683 and 684s. I would have to say that I was not overly impressed. Perhaps the CM8s are better sounding. I found the highs lacking and harsh. Almost compressed sounding. Also the bass was just not there when I turned off the subwoofer. I went in to BB to get a comparison of these speakers versus what I have. I hear some rave reviews of B&W and they sure do look nice, but after hearing them, I was not impressed. While I know I sound like I'm bashing the B&Ws, but perhaps you might want to look at other brands as well. You're definitely going to pay a markup buying from a Box Store like BB so why not try some Internet Direct companies? I personally have the Aperion Audio 6 series speakers (6T, 6C, 6B). Granted, the B&W speakers I was listening to are cheaper in price, so it may not be a good comparison, but I would think the tweeter would be similar across a couple of lines. And if this is the case, then I would have a hard time buying these speakers. Anyhow, if you're gonna upgrade, I would suggest being open to other brands as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
first, the CM Center 2 is much better center channel than the CM1 due to its three way design. The CM1 is going to be the weak link once you have your CM8

Secondly, the Center channel won't be an exact match for your M1, the CM series has a different sound than the M1, but it won't be "overpowering". If anything, you should notice that the sound will be more "fuller" sounding even when it's matched to the same volume as your M1. As long as you calibrate your receiver using Audyssey, it won't overpower the sound at all.
How about using CM1 as LCR. What are the best LCRs to use from B&W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page