upgrade pc speakers to powered studio monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My home office has 2 computers that share one set of cheap computer speakers. To accomplish this, I purchased a Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer. The 2 computers input into mixer via 1/8" to 1/4" Y Cable. The cheap set of computer speakers plug into the phones OUT on the mixer with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

I'm looking to upgrade the computer speakers that I'm using and need some advice. I don't have room for a receiver to power a set of stereo speakers. After doing some research, it looks like I should pick up a pair of powered studio monitors. Am I going the right direction? If so, what type input should I be seeking to plug into the mixer? The mixer has open slots for a single 1/4" phones out, left and right 1/4" main out, or left and right CD/Tape RCA output. Can someone also point out some good powered studio monitors for under $250?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I may have answered my own question here. I read good things about the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 AV40 Studio Desktop Speakers. I saw them for $150 bucks on ebay. Is this a good idea? If so, is it worth it to pick up a TRS (1/4") connector cable vs the RCA cable it comes with to plug into the mixer?
post #3 of 3 Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You could also consider a small desktop amp like the Parts Express DTA-100a. I would broaden your options.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-383
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page