post #31 of 35 Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan View Post

What about the Marantz SR1601? It has Audyssey MultiEQ at least and retains the small size factor.

Interesting. How long has that been out? I just checked my notes and don't see anything about the 1601, which probably means it wasn't available until just recently (I started looking into AVR's at the beginning of the year).

It only has 50 watts though, like the 1501, which for an AVR I consider ridiculous. Surprises me that Marantz wouldn't have included a better amp with the newer, more expensive receiver.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

It only has 50 watts though, like the 1501, which for an AVR I consider ridiculous. Surprises me that Marantz wouldn't have included a better amp with the newer, more expensive receiver.

Uh, slim factor equals slim power.
In all seriousness, how much power do you need?
50 watts is plenty of power especially for someone who uses satellite speakers with a subwoofer.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #33 of 35 Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Uh, slim factor equals slim power.
In all seriousness, how much power do you need?
50 watts is plenty of power especially for someone who uses satellite speakers with a subwoofer.

Not if you go with a digital amp...

To me, 50 watts seems weak. It's been my experience that, in general, you can't overpower a set of speakers, only overdrive them. In other words, if you have a very powerful amp it won't do any damage to your speakers unless you really crank it. Conversely, if you have a powerful amp it can do wonders for smaller speakers -- even if they aren't rated to "handle" that many watts -- because it drives them with better power.

I'm not one of those 500 watt monoblock guys, but I do think an AVR with less then 75 watts per channel is silly. That just doesn't seem like enough power to me.

post #34 of 35 Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Not if you go with a digital amp...

To me, 50 watts seems weak. It's been my experience that, in general, you can't overpower a set of speakers, only overdrive them. In other words, if you have a very powerful amp it won't do any damage to your speakers unless you really crank it. Conversely, if you have a powerful amp it can do wonders for smaller speakers -- even if they aren't rated to "handle" that many watts -- because it drives them with better power.

I'm not one of those 500 watt monoblock guys, but I do think an AVR with less then 75 watts per channel is silly. That just doesn't seem like enough power to me.

I didn't leave my two-channel setup until just a couple of years ago (maybe, 3-4). I was a die-hard two-channel person and finally, one day, I decided to test the multi-channel waters At that time, I did it on the cheap. I used 5 Trends Audio T-amps for all channels and used my source player directly into these amps (no pre-amp). These amps only put out about 6 watts into 8 ohms per channel and I was using one per channel instead of two. So, again, tell me how much power is needed?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #35 of 35 Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I didn't leave my two-channel setup until just a couple of years ago (maybe, 3-4). I was a die-hard two-channel person and finally, one day, I decided to test the multi-channel waters At that time, I did it on the cheap. I used 5 Trends Audio T-amps for all channels and used my source player directly into these amps (no pre-amp). These amps only put out about 6 watts into 8 ohms per channel and I was using one per channel instead of two. So, again, tell me how much power is needed?

A Yugo was considered a car by some as well. Nuff said...

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page