Monitor Audio Silver vs. Aperion 6T Hybrid 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys,
I am about to buy a 5.1 set for my new HT (20 x 18) and narrowed it down to the Aperion 6T Hybrid or the Monitor Audio RX6 Silver speakers. I auditioned the MA set and loved it, but it is pricier and I couldn´t compare it to the Aperion set...
I´d like to know your opinion on that... it will be my first serious purchase and I want to make the best possible choice!
Thanks,
T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliskerdb View Post

hi guys,
I am about to buy a 5.1 set for my new HT (20 x 18) and narrowed it down to the Aperion 6T Hybrid or the Monitor Audio RX6 Silver speakers. I auditioned the MA set and loved it, but it is pricier and I couldn´t compare it to the Aperion set...
I´d like to know your opinion on that... it will be my first serious purchase and I want to make the best possible choice!
Thanks,
T.

Is the Monitor Audio a package, like the RX6AV12?

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's the RX6AV12 package... sorry I forgot to mention it...
post #4 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it's the RX6AV12 package... sorry I forgot to mention it...

I really like the Monitor RX line (sorry-haven't heard the Aperions). For what it's worth, many MA owners (myself included) do not own a MA sub. They're beautiful but for the money you're better off with a different brand. Also, the resident guru in the MA owners forum strongly recommends one of the bookshelf models (RX1/RX2) over the RSFX for rears. Are you getting a smoking deal on the package?

post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

It's a good deal but not so hot... I was already told to upgrade the rears to RX2 and after your comment I'll have to do it
It's interesting what you said about the sub... not being an expert audiophile, do you think it would be difficult to set another brand sub and make it work with the other MA speakers? What about tonal matching? Which subs do you recommend in this setting?
(thanks for the guidance, holt7153!)
post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a good deal but not so hot... I was already told to upgrade the rears to RX2 and after your comment I'll have to do it
It's interesting what you said about the sub... not being an expert audiophile, do you think it would be difficult to set another brand sub and make it work with the other MA speakers? What about tonal matching? Which subs do you recommend in this setting?
(thanks for the guidance, holt7153!)

Happy to help. Tonal (timbre) matching is very important for your speakers but not at all for subs. Important things to look for in subs is the size of your room, budget, and listening preferences (ratio of music to movies to gaming). Answer those and I (and others) can recommend brands.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

The room is 20 x 18 feet... I'll use it 70% movies / 30% music (jazz and classic)... and would stay close to the MA RX12W price range (1,000 - 1,500 usd)...
(still learning, thanks for the tonal matching lesson )
post #8 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is 20 x 18 feet... I'll use it 70% movies / 30% music (jazz and classic)... and would stay close to the MA RX12W price range (1,000 - 1,500 usd)...
(still learning, thanks for the tonal matching lesson )

You have a solid budget and a room that's not too huge--you should be able to get GREAT sub, much better than the RX12W. There's a great thread in the subwoofer forum titled "SUB SHOOTOUT" or something similar, and several of the popular brands are compared. I think the first thing you need to determine is whether you want a ported sub or a sealed sub. Search AVS for something like "sealed vs. ported" and you'll get an idea of the differences. Personally I prefer the sound of a sealed sub but I would guess a slight majority of people prefer ported. The first thing I noticed when I began learning about subs is that the most popular ones here on AVS are ID (internet direct brands-not sold in retail stores) that I had never heard of before. Some of these highly respected brands include SVS, HSU, Rythmik, Elemental Designs, Epik, etc. In my opinion a $1000 sub from one of these brands + the Monitor Audios (or Aperions) will sound AWESOME.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM

I was making this same choice in November, last year.

I auditioned the MA's locally, and read all the reviews on the 6T's and RX6's speakers/systems that I could find.

I concluded that they had a similar type of sound from what I had read (both well reviewed), so I ordered a full Aperion system for the 30 day trial (including their new Bravus 12D sub). I figured if I didn't like the sub, or any of the system I'd send it back. I was really planning on a SVS sub with either the MA's or Aperion's.

Well I loved the 6T/6C/5DB part of the system right away. It took me a little while to get the sub totally sorted out, but it was tight and musical right from the start.

I ended up keeping all of the Aperions. I am more than pleased with them. They have rekindled my love of home audio and I still look forward to listening time.

The MA sub is ~ $1500 here locally. I paid much less for the Bravus.

So you really can't go wrong with either system, but I would seriously consider a sub from those mentioned above, especially if you go with MA (not that their sub is inferior, but it is pricey, and I'm sure you can do better, and for cheaper).
post #10 of 10 Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 PM

You can audition the aperions risk free for 30 days.

Just curious - why the 6T package over the verus grand?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page