Advice please Denon 1911avr/polk tl230/ polk pws111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone, I just signed up today. I found the site via google and very much of a noob but I need some help. I currently Got a deal and may change things if needed. I have a room hmm 10x12 that I am going to be using primarily for Movie watching and would like any advice on any of the equipment that I may want to change that is followed in the List below. Please post any thoughts, keep in mind I am looking to keep the whole Audio and speaker budget at $1000 or below. I am moving into a new house and this will be my first home theatre setup.

Current possible setup is as follows:

Samsung un46c8000 (keeping this got it for $1100 new)

Denon avr-1911 reciever
Polk TL250 speakers
Polk PWS 111 Sub
the reciever and all speakers/sub I got for $900 at AmericanTV (only a reserve payment but I can change anything if I need) just thought this was a good deal.

Please advise any changes I may want to consider.

Thanks,
Frank
____________________________________________________________ _____________UPDATE________________UPDATE______________

Please let me know if you think I can do better but heres what I got and why I thought it would be best.
Denon 2311ci = $580
two Bookshelf Focal 806v speakers $850 (10yr warranty was $100 included in price)

I decided it would probably be best for me to start off with 2 higher end speakers and grow the system. Get a center Channel next then turn the 806v's into surround and replace with towers down the line and then finally add a subwoofer.
Has anyone heard the 806v and would you recommend anything different? I can still return these if needed as they are still factory sealed. I would also like recommendation for center and should I just get 2 more of these or towers (or get 2 more 806v and turn it into a 7.1 system later buy adding towers down the line)
I know I am losing the 5.1 surround at the moment but after hearing them they put the sattelites to shame and I was even considering the Sib&Cub2 series for 900 with sub incl... but they had bad midrange and not nearly as much detail in audio to me atleast.
Best to stick with the same brand all around? I have also read alot about Bics but I have never seen or heard them..

Please Advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
you have made some good selections, with the exception of the PSW111 sub. I'm not a fan of Polk subs below the PSW505. Other subs to consider would be from BIC America, Infinity, or Yamaha from a store. Hsu Research, Elemental Designs, or on the budget end Parts Express "Dayton" subs.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I like the Denon Receiver at least. The Polk subwoofer is EXTREMELY weak. And i am not a fan of satellite speakers eventhough I have a satellite system

Here are some suggestions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1309991

Another option is:
-Denon AVR-1911, $390
-Jamo S606 HCS 3 5.0 speaker set, $400
-Bic F12 Subwoofer, $184
post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, do you have any particular model you would suggest? I got the TL250 system with the sub Included but I believe I can use $300 toward upgrade for the sub with the Polk promotion going on I may consider the psw505 if the price is right, I have not looked into it yet.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think that the Sub may be to powerful for a small room and drown out the vocals? If I want to stay with Satellites what would you suggest? what do you have for Satellite system and how do you like them?
That Jamo link you sent me is $400 for 1 speaker only if you look to the right it is stated in small print. I am trying to keep the budget at just $1000 or so. I see how that detail could of been missed though lol. I did not see it until I looked at it multiple times.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcheck3 View Post

Do you think that the Sub may be to powerful for a small room and drown out the vocals? If I want to stay with Satellites what would you suggest? what do you have for Satellite system and how do you like them?
That Jamo link you sent me is $400 for 1 speaker only if you look to the right it is stated in small print. I am trying to keep the budget at just $1000 or so. I see how that detail could of been missed though lol. I did not see it until I looked at it multiple times.

Misprint by Amazon in the description. The Jamo set is actually being sold by Vanns. Just buy it there, same price and you don't have to worry about bad info.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

I've purchased several speakers from Vanns. Great customer service.

there are so many ways you can go for $900 but if you really want satellites maybe the Polks will do the trick.

Denon 1911 and Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 is a good choice too. If you need a larger sub just add the BIC F12 later.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page