Energy RC Micro -- Sound very thin - AVS Forum
Speakers > Energy RC Micro -- Sound very thin
gsingal's Avatar gsingal 02:51 PM 02-25-2011
Hey guys,

I just bought an Energy RC-Micro 5.1 for my apartment living room (14'x17' with open entryway into kitchen). The speakers sound a lot less rich/full than I expected, which I suspect is due to their size and limited range of the satellites in a reasonably large room.

I'm thinking of upgrading the fronts to CB-10s or CB-20s. RC Minis would be nice but tough to find, and I can get a pair of CB-20s new for 260 or CB-10s for 180. I'm also probably going to keep the Micro center for now even though I know it should probably be upgraded too, mostly because of budget constraints. Any thoughts on that move / suggestions for other upgrades? Would CB-5's be much of an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help!
gsingal

crazyrob425's Avatar crazyrob425 03:05 PM 02-25-2011
Replacing the Front left and right and keeping the micro center would still sound thin

Newegg currently has 25% sale on Energy speakers and you could get CB-5's which will be an upgrade overr the RC-micro's.

You can get a pair of CB-5 for $75 which will sound great
lennath's Avatar lennath 11:38 PM 02-25-2011
Have you tried setting the crossover setting to 125 or 150 Hz? Most receivers default to 80 Hz therefore you would be missing alot of mid bass therefore the speakers will sound thin.
1C3M4Nz's Avatar 1C3M4Nz 03:32 AM 03-22-2012
I have the RC Micro 5.1 paired with Yamaha RX-V671.. Great in my current 10'x12' room.. Will be moving to a bigger room 15'x20' soon.. Looking to expand to a 7.1 setup.. Which would be good floorstanders/bookshelves for fronts ? Preferably want to maintain the current center and satellites.. If i get a powerful FS like veritas ones will i have to replace my center to match them? Suggest the best FS/BS which match my current setup.. Need great sound/bass from my fronts..
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 05:00 AM 03-22-2012
You'll definitely need to replace the center if you upgrade the front speakers. In a bigger room the Micros will not sound as good. They'll be fine for surrounds but if you're getting Veritas front speakers then get the Veritas matching center too.

The other problem is I believe the Yamaha 671 uses a single crossover point for bass management, The Micros need to be crossed over at 150hz while the Veritas speakers would be best at 80hz or below.

If you want great bass, get a better subwoofer too.
1C3M4Nz's Avatar 1C3M4Nz 05:22 AM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You'll definitely need to replace the center if you upgrade the front speakers. In a bigger room the Micros will not sound as good. They'll be fine for surrounds but if you're getting Veritas front speakers then get the Veritas matching center too.

The other problem is I believe the Yamaha 671 uses a single crossover point for bass management, The Micros need to be crossed over at 150hz while the Veritas speakers would be best at 80hz or below.

If you want great bass, get a better subwoofer too.

What are my other options. As i mentioned above i do not want to have to replace center let alone the sub too.. Budget constraints.

Forget the Veritas line i just used it as an example. What other speakers go well with my setup ? Should i just forget about the towers like CF-30/CF-50 or RC series ones too..

Are the Bookshelves more compatible with my setup then.. RC-10/CB-10/CB-5..
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 12:38 PM 03-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C3M4Nz View Post

What are my other options. As i mentioned above i do not want to have to replace center let alone the sub too.. Budget constraints.

Forget the Veritas line i just used it as an example. What other speakers go well with my setup ? Should i just forget about the towers like CF-30/CF-50 or RC series ones too..

Are the Bookshelves more compatible with my setup then.. RC-10/CB-10/CB-5..

What is your real budget? The RC Micro center will only work well with RC Micro satellites. It is too small to match well with anything else whether they are bookshelf speakers or towers.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 01:22 PM 03-28-2012
I would think running a pair of RC-10s without a center would sound better than using the RC-Micro center with them. Then add the center when you can.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 01:23 PM 03-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

i would think running a pair of rc-10s without a center would sound better than using the rc-micro center with them. Then add the center when you can.

+1
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 01:26 PM 03-28-2012
Yep, it would a better solution than forcing the RC Micro center into the mix. And the RC-10 is on sale for $250/pr shipped right now. Go for it!

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...res/542469405/
Carl Lee's Avatar Carl Lee 02:46 PM 03-28-2012
Personally, I would upgrade the Micro center before the L/R speakers. I have the Micros also and thought it sounded the same. I upgraded the center to a V-Mini-C and dropped the X-over down to 80htz and its much better. I do plan to change out the front L/R to the V-Minis in the future and keeping the Micros as the surrounds. Most of your sound comes from the center anyway.
buzzy_'s Avatar buzzy_ 03:49 PM 03-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lee View Post

Personally, I would upgrade the Micro center before the L/R speakers. I have the Micros also and thought it sounded the same. I upgraded the center to a V-Mini-C and dropped the X-over down to 80htz and its much better. I do plan to change out the front L/R to the V-Minis in the future and keeping the Micros as the surrounds. Most of your sound comes from the center anyway.

Upgrading the center is a decent option if it's primarily for HT rather than music.

Or consider selling the set and starting over with something suitable for the space and your needs.
pghflyer's Avatar pghflyer 12:30 PM 12-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lee View Post

Carl Lee - did you ever do this and how did it turn out?

I am thinking of picking up an RC-mico set for $140....selling the micro-center, making the Micros be my SR, SL, RSL, and RSR.....and then using a veritas Mini for FR, FL ($100 each)..with veritas Mini center ($180)...and ESW-C8 ($190).

Whole new set of WAF Energy for $710 less what I get for reselling the micro-center.
tongr's Avatar tongr 08:33 PM 12-02-2012
I've owned the RC micro system (along with a Def Tech Suercube 2) setup for about a year now. I was originally pleased with them but, after a while, the system started to sound "thin". I ultimately decided that the problem was the center channel speaker as this speaker is responsible for so much when it comes to home theater, most especially dialogue. I didn't want to spend a lot on a fix because we may be moving soon and I don't know what the new house will require. I ended up buying a CC5 just to try. Hooked it up, re-calibrated and it sounds great- much more capable than the micro center and I have not noticed any problems matching with the other speakers.
Up
Mobile  Desktop