Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the following home theater speaker set in 2004 - all Klipsch brand:

-KSW-12 12" 440 Watt subwoofer
-SC-1 Dual 5.25" 2 way center channel speaker
-SF-3 Floor speakers (2)
-SS-1 5.25" 2 way surround sound speakers (2 are set up, have 2 in boxes still waiting to be deployed as 7.1 instead of the 5.1 I have right now).

I love the speakers and they sound great. Is there any reason to consider upgrading to newer, modern speakers (Klipsch or any other brand) ???

The reason I ask is because I just replaced my Panasonic 32" Tube TV with a 55" Samsung LED LCD, and am evaluating if I need to upgrade the rest of the home theater set up, including AV receiver or the speakers.

I have not kept up with speaker trends or modern speaker technology so please educate me.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Speakers are fine, since you love the speakers no reason to change/upgrade. You may want to consider an upgrade for your receiver depending on the type connectivity/integration (HDMI, etc.) you will use. If your OK with the connectivity of your current receiver, no need to upgrade.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Have the speaker technology changed lots in the last 7 years? Or do most people buy speakers and then stay with them for decades?

I will probably get a new receiver. The receiver does not have HDMI input/output, so it will need to be upgraded. The trick will be finding a new receiver that will sound good with my Klipsch speakers. I am not sure if that should be easy or hard to do...
post #4 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Speakers are fine, since you love the speakers no reason to change/upgrade. You may want to consider an upgrade for your receiver depending on the type connectivity/integration (HDMI, etc.) you will use. If your OK with the connectivity of your current receiver, no need to upgrade.

Ditto, if you love what you already have then why spend money on finding a greater love.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #5 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I would probably still have my original Synergy Home Theater if I didn't find these Forums. That was/is a nice package and run from this place as soon as you get the urge to upgrade something you already love. My 2 cents. ;-)
post #6 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post

Thanks! Have the speaker technology changed lots in the last 7 years? Or do most people buy speakers and then stay with them for decades?

I will probably get a new receiver. The receiver does not have HDMI input/output, so it will need to be upgraded. The trick will be finding a new receiver that will sound good with my Klipsch speakers. I am not sure if that should be easy or hard to do...

There may be subtle refinements, but no significant changes in the last 7 years and more. Many speakers do last for decades.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I still own the Paradigm 9se pair that I bought in 1991. Like fine wine, they just continue to get better with age....
post #8 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information and saving me some money! I can spend my money on a new receiver and feel good about that.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 AM

Liked: 11
Are you familiar with DSLR cameras? Speakers are lenses; receivers are the camera body...

Florida_Gator
post #10 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
if you like how they sound just stick to them, most likely u would need a new receiver.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

I love the speakers and they sound great. Is there any reason to consider upgrading to newer, modern speakers (Klipsch or any other brand) ???

As the others have said, there's no reason to upgrade if you're happy with what you have.

I will point out though that if you have the space and budget, if you give a listen to the larger offerings from Klipsch you might find yourself wanting to upgrade. It tends to get better as they (Klipsch) get bigger. You're in a win/win situation.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any reason to upgrade 7 year old Klipsch home theater speakers?

The reason is that there are better speakers out there... There also was better speakers seven years ago too, but I guess you already knew that... Other reasons, you're a compulsive buyer, money is burning a hole through your pocket, you want to keep the economy rolling and help the BestBuy owner/stock holders buy a fourth car, etc etc... There's countless of reasons to upgrade!

Quote:

Is there any reason to consider upgrading to newer, modern speakers (

What makes you say they're not modern? Are the speakers you'd buy today be significantly different? If so, how?
post #13 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

My front three Klipsch are from the 1970s.
Quote:

Don't worry about receivers having a sound signature. Buy the one with the features you want.

The next thing to upgrade after the receiver could be the subwoofer, although its 26 Hz extension isn't bad.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

post #14 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You could upgrade to an older Klipsch! Sorry, couldn't resist. Age is just about irrelevent in the world of speakers. Look at the long manufacturing run of many in the Heritage line. They've been built and sold for half a century and still are at the top of the Klipsch model line. That speaks for itself.

The short and direct response to your question is that you are happy with what you have. That's the end goal. Just don't listen to anything better, it gets expensive. But fun!

The "Twinseltown" Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Capacitors age (crossover filters) and my father who repairs speakers for people I don't know how many he's took apart and the ferro fluid has completely dried or crusted up. Albeit, seven years isn't that much, the speakers where the ferro fluid was dried and crossovers burnt where fifteen years old and where hammered on, but still... things do age over time....
post #16 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My favorite speakers are 30 years old and that was the "upgrade"

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #17 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Same here Raymond!

Emig, the capacitors are about a $30 fix per speaker. If that. I've got to do mine still. Okay, you've motivated me.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #18 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, all new caps here too (actually new crossovers in the mains, new caps in the center).

My HT

Peter

post #19 of 22 Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
15 year old Klipsch RF-3, RC-3, RS-3 and KSW-15 Speakers

I own Klipsch RF-3, RC-3, RS-3 and KSW-15 Speakers. These were driven by Marantz SR-8000 before and now by Pioneer Elite SC-05 A/V Receiver. I am considering an upgrade and while searching for affect of age on Klipsch's I came across this thread. Someone told me that the surround of the speaker loses it's effectiveness. Is that correct? How do I figure it out? My speaks don't buzz or give out any unintended noise. If there is a recommend age of servicing/repairing the speaker? Anyone else holding on to R*-3 speakers for longer than 15 years?
post #20 of 22 Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I still have my Kg4, KV3, RS-3 system I bought mid 80s. I've upgraded the Kg4s with Crites titanium tweeters which made a substantial improvement. I plan to upgrade the xovers with Crites soon.

I like the sound of the older Klipsch' much better than the new. I don't plan to replace them. I have an expensive Legacy system (over 10x the cost) which have a more robust sound, but still love the Klipsch system as well. I also have several 5.1 systems with bookshelf type speakers I purchased used to experiment with (Scandyna minipods, B&W LM1/VM1, Emotiva ERM-1/ERD, PSB Intro, NHT New Wave). All have their favorable characteristics. However the Klipsch and Legacy systems I'll never sell.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobme23 View Post
I own Klipsch RF-3, RC-3, RS-3 and KSW-15 Speakers. These were driven by Marantz SR-8000 before and now by Pioneer Elite SC-05 A/V Receiver. I am considering an upgrade and while searching for affect of age on Klipsch's I came across this thread. Someone told me that the surround of the speaker loses it's effectiveness. Is that correct? How do I figure it out? My speaks don't buzz or give out any unintended noise. If there is a recommend age of servicing/repairing the speaker? Anyone else holding on to R*-3 speakers for longer than 15 years?
By surrounds, you mean the cone suspension. Those made of foam rot out. Not an issue with the RF-3 I think. My older Klipsch have paper and last decades.

My HT

Peter

post #22 of 22 Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
By surrounds, you mean the cone suspension. Those made of foam rot out. Not an issue with the RF-3 I think. My older Klipsch have paper and last decades.
Yes psgcdn, I mean the cone suspension. How about the cone suspension for RS3 and RC3?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page