What are the extant internet direct / high price to performance speaker companies? - AVS Forum
Speakers > What are the extant internet direct / high price to performance speaker companies?
Gavinfoxx's Avatar Gavinfoxx 08:06 PM 02-28-2011
Hello there! It seems that with the recession, a few of the internet-direct speaker companies kicked the bucket. In general, what are the remaining internet-direct speaker (and other audio companies) that still exist, that still have a reputation for doing well with the price/performance ratio thing?

Thanks!

afrogt's Avatar afrogt 11:12 PM 02-28-2011
I dont know any that kicked the bucket except AV123 and that wasn't because of the economy. I'm sure there are some though. There's a huge list of internet direct speaker companies. Just off the top of my head.

Ascend Acoustics
Axiom Audio
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Direct (HTD)
Emotiva
Elemental Designs
Emptek
Fluance
Orb Audio
SVS
Swan
HSU Research
Epik (subs)
Lava (subs)
NHT has become internet direct

I'm sure there are lots more, especially high end speakers that I've never researched.
crabra's Avatar crabra 11:30 PM 02-28-2011
Seaton Sound
JTR
Danley
CHT
Rythmik
Funky Waves
AE Speakers (Kits)

And probably more
Gavinfoxx's Avatar Gavinfoxx 09:15 AM 03-01-2011
It wasn't because of the economy? It sounds like I missed something big, hmm. Can I have a link where I can read up about what happened?

Also, of these that you all isted, are there any current standouts that are really taking the cake for price to performance ratio? And are any of these companies focusing on more than just speakers and subwoofers?
bladerunner6's Avatar bladerunner6 09:22 AM 03-01-2011
monoprice?
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 09:32 AM 03-01-2011
The Speaker Company didn't survive the recession. Too bad, they had some nice looking products for terrific prices.
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 09:35 AM 03-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post

It wasn't because of the economy? It sounds like I missed something big, hmm. Can I have a link where I can read up about what happened?

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...ted-grand-jury

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=mark+schifter

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=mark+schifter
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 09:38 AM 03-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The Speaker Company didn't survive the recession. Too bad, they had some nice looking products for terrific prices.

Speaker Company depleted stock didn't they? They were owned by Denon/Marantz so it wasn't like they were a struggling company with no financial backing.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 05:04 PM 03-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Speaker Company depleted stock didn't they? They were owned by Denon/Marantz so it wasn't like they were a struggling company with no financial backing.

Perhaps you are right. I assumed they just didn't turn the profits they needed to. I knew they were owned by Denon/Marantz, but that doesn't mean they will be saved when they are struggling. In fact, many times it can mean quite the opposite.
Wrager's Avatar Wrager 07:50 AM 03-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post

Seaton Sound
JTR
Danley
CHT
Rythmik
Funky Waves
AE Speakers (Kits)

And probably more

Unfortunately, Danley is not an ID company (except for the very limited DTS-10 offering). They only sell through a dealer network. I live within driving distance and can't buy direct.
HOTDIGITY's Avatar HOTDIGITY 08:11 AM 03-02-2011
Let's not forget.....

Outlaw Audio

They were among the first to get into the internet-direct business.
Veda's Avatar Veda 11:55 PM 03-23-2012
PAD's Avatar PAD 06:53 AM 03-25-2012
Salk

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I dont know any that kicked the bucket except AV123 and that wasn't because of the economy. I'm sure there are some though. There's a huge list of internet direct speaker companies. Just off the top of my head.

Ascend Acoustics
Axiom Audio
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Direct (HTD)
Emotiva
Elemental Designs
Emptek
Fluance
Orb Audio
SVS
Swan
HSU Research
Epik (subs)
Lava (subs)
NHT has become internet direct

I'm sure there are lots more, especially high end speakers that I've never researched.

smasher50's Avatar smasher50 07:54 AM 03-25-2012
heres a few more to browse

zu audio
decware audio
tekton designs
Veda's Avatar Veda 08:56 AM 03-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

heres a few more to browse
zu audio

Zu Audio is certainly a most interesting one. Very efficient beautiful speakers with ribbon tweeters. Super efficient with no crossover on the midrange woofer. 98% made in US so their pricing is quite high. In fact their cheapest bookshelves is just slightly less than a Sierra Tower or Philharmonics 1. Truly a luxury ID brand, looks good on paper, but where are the graphs and measurements?
Nethawk's Avatar Nethawk 09:37 AM 03-25-2012
Salk should be on this list.
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 07:28 AM 03-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Zu Audio is certainly a most interesting one. Very efficient beautiful speakers with ribbon tweeters. Super efficient with no crossover on the midrange woofer. 98% made in US so their pricing is quite high. In fact their cheapest bookshelves is just slightly less than a Sierra Tower or Philharmonics 1. Truly a luxury ID brand, looks good on paper, but where are the graphs and measurements?

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.zuaudio.com/docs/OmenDef1-A_Specs.pdf

Thta's for something called the Omen Def speaker
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 08:01 AM 03-26-2012
Arx is small ID direct company
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manuf...s.php?mPath=13

Probably one of the cheapest speakers that use neo planar tweeters and XBL2/Splitgap drivers.
Up
Mobile  Desktop