The Official Procella Audio Speakers Owners thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #421 of 435 Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Any news on the P5iW and P5 slim availability in the USA?

I will likely replace my existing surrounds and add 4 Atmos to complement my new P8 LCR. I am trying to find a Houston contractor to actually build my baffle wall and cabinet. Next plan is to do it myself but it will take me forever to complete.

Any opinions on the timber match of the P6 series vs. P5 with the P8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 435 Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM

I guess I can now answer my own question now since Chuck Back and Nyal responded. I just ordered two P5v (slim) from Nyal Mellor (Acoustic Frontiers). I am hoping they come in soon. I will test against my current surrounds and see how well matched they are to my P8 LCR.

Can Procella personnel or enthusiasts provide more details on what crossover they are running on the P5. I believe they are down 3db at 90Hz.
post #423 of 435 Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I guess I can now answer my own question now since Chuck Back and Nyal responded. I just ordered two P5v (slim) from Nyal Mellor (Acoustic Frontiers). I am hoping they come in soon. I will test against my current surrounds and see how well matched they are to my P8 LCR.

Can Procella personnel or enthusiasts provide more details on what crossover they are running on the P5. I believe they are down 3db at 90Hz.
I would love a response on this as well. I just spoke to Chuck yesterday, but didn't ask him that question. I should have. I did tell him I'm running my Atmos speaker crossovers on my Yamaha CX-A5100 at 100Hz. I have two Xilica processors which are not calibrated yet, so it may change. For now that's what I'm doing.

Like you, I would be interested to know what others are doing. Especially an official recommendation from Procella!

Evolution of My Theater Build

Procella P8 (LCR), Procella P6V (2 Front Side), Procella P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling), Crown DCi 8|300 (2), Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2), JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" UF Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501, iRule.
post #424 of 435 Old 10-12-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
I would love a response on this as well. I just spoke to Chuck yesterday, but didn't ask him that question. I should have. I did tell him I'm running my Atmos speaker crossovers on my Yamaha CX-A5100 at 100Hz. I have two Xilica processors which are not calibrated yet, so it may change. For now that's what I'm doing.

Like you, I would be interested to know what others are doing. Especially an official recommendation from Procella!
Aareses,

How would you compare your P6V and P5? I would really like to know your thoughts on whether you can really tell any difference for surround duties. I was actually thinking I would purchase P6 for wides, like you have, since they are closest to the P8 LCR and I would be able to hear more of a difference in sound. But then I think, during most surround mixes the sound is usually either fairly quiet or very loud and "furious" with so many sounds there is really no way to say that it does not sound perfectly timber matched.

It's honestly hard for me to invest in a speaker that can't quite manage 90Hz as I have a lot of powerful equipment in my theater room. But maybe crossing at 100Hz will sound great.

I can't wait to compare the P5V (slim) that I ordered to my existing Definitive Technology in wall UIW RSS II. The UIW RSS II sound terrible when compared directly to my P8 but honestly, for surround sound, they sound good. If I don't like the P5 compared to my P8 I will use the P5 for rear Atmos speakers and purchase P6 series for the remaining atmos and surround speakers.

Datasat LS10
Procella P8 LCR
2.39:1 Seymour XD, 116" wide & JVC 4910 projector
Parasound Halo A31, Parasound Zonemaster 1250
JTR Captivator S2 (1st to receive New 2017 version) and Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear
post #425 of 435 Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Procella Skyline

Just arrived (P5,P5v, P12)

For 19.1 set-up see:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
Lay-out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3805.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1713729  

A good idea and understanding lies at the basis of every successful project.
post #426 of 435 Old 10-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Procella recommends 100 Hz, 2nd order HP (12dB/octave).

A good idea and understanding lies at the basis of every successful project.
post #427 of 435 Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 AM

Maikel,

Wow! That design looks very nice. Is there any processor that can handle more than 7.4.1 Atmos without moving to a Trinnov?
post #428 of 435 Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
Thanks for your reply
Ordered them today
Now I just have to wait three weeks...
Did you receive your P5's? How do you like them?

Datasat LS10
Procella P8 LCR
JTR Captivator S2 (1st to receive New 2017 version) and Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear
post #429 of 435 Old 10-15-2016, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got cold feet and cancelled the order
I got SVS Ultra instead
I like the SVS a lot but now I wonder about the Procella...
I read several places that the Procella need to be professionaly calibrated to get a good result, whereas the SVS is plug-and-play
post #430 of 435 Old 10-15-2016, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I hade P6 as surrounds but Changed them for P5v, wanted a "cleaner" look and a White speaker. . .for surround use i really can´t tell the difference between the P6 and the P5v.

AMP: Trinnov 8-8, 4xProcella DA-05, CROWN CT-4150
Speakers: LCR Procella P610, Rears: Procella P5V, Hight: Procella P5V, Sub: Procella P10-Fp
post #431 of 435 Old 10-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Aareses,

How would you compare your P6V and P5? I would really like to know your thoughts on whether you can really tell any difference for surround duties. I was actually thinking I would purchase P6 for wides, like you have, since they are closest to the P8 LCR and I would be able to hear more of a difference in sound. But then I think, during most surround mixes the sound is usually either fairly quiet or very loud and "furious" with so many sounds there is really no way to say that it does not sound perfectly timber matched.

It's honestly hard for me to invest in a speaker that can't quite manage 90Hz as I have a lot of powerful equipment in my theater room. But maybe crossing at 100Hz will sound great.

I can't wait to compare the P5V (slim) that I ordered to my existing Definitive Technology in wall UIW RSS II. The UIW RSS II sound terrible when compared directly to my P8 but honestly, for surround sound, they sound good. If I don't like the P5 compared to my P8 I will use the P5 for rear Atmos speakers and purchase P6 series for the remaining atmos and surround speakers.
We needed the P6V for our front side surrounds because we didn't have enough depth for the P5. The rear side surrounds are P5s. My MLP is in the front where I sit most the time. I have sat in the back, but haven't listened for a direct comparison between the P6V and P5. Having said that and trying to recall the differences, it does seem the front side surrounds are more "dynamic". For example, I use "Unbroken" beginning scene to demo often. When I sit in the front, those planes go through me more when they cross the room. I hadn't thought about it before, but yes, I think the P6V is more effective as a surround speaker. I will pay more attention to that as I swap to the rear row in the future.

I agree totally with your thoughts. The P6V should be a better, more dynamic speaker and a better match for the P8. Yet, much of the information on surround speakers doesn't require more than a P5. I think it really comes down to your budget. If the room wouldn't have gone over my budget so much, I was going to go ALL P6V/P6iW for the 10 surround speakers. My wife nixed me there. Nyal told me it wasn't necessary, but then again he told me to go with an AVR (to stay within my budget). I'm SO glad I went with separates! Nyal said putting money into acoustic treatments would be a better use of my money than to buy all P6/P6V/P6iW. I did replace a P5, but I think it was an anomaly. None of the other P5s have had issues. At least I got 3 x P8s and 2 x P6Vs!

I have seen several Procella company demo setups where they use only P5s for their surrounds.

My room isn't calibrated yet and the acoustic treatments aren't even built, much less installed. My room has many strengths. Like all rooms, it has its weaknesses as well. Right now I am only using my Yamaha to "process" until calibration when we will be using the Xilicas. Right now the weakness in the room is mid bass and lack of volume from the ceiling and rear speakers. I have all four ceiling speakers running hot at +9dB and the rears at +2dB. In the rear row, the rears are fine. In the front, they are not, but that is a weakness of a small theater, not the speaker. I do believe what I'm hearing is 3 x P8s in front of me and 2 x P6Vs to my sides and the P5s in the ceiling and rear are not keeping up as much. Obviously for some reasons as you mentioned (source material on those channels), but thinking about this more it may be the difference between the P8 + P6V and the P5.

Bottom line, if you have the money I would do the P6V/P6iW over the P5. Like Nyal said though, that money could be put to better use in other areas. Hope that was helpful and not to confusing.

Procella P8 (LCR), Procella P6V (2 Front Side), Procella P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling), Crown DCi 8|300 (2), Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2), JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" UF Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501, iRule.
post #432 of 435 Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
We needed the P6V for our front side surrounds because we didn't have enough depth for the P5. The rear side surrounds are P5s. My MLP is in the front where I sit most the time. I have sat in the back, but haven't listened for a direct comparison between the P6V and P5. Having said that and trying to recall the differences, it does seem the front side surrounds are more "dynamic". For example, I use "Unbroken" beginning scene to demo often. When I sit in the front, those planes go through me more when they cross the room. I hadn't thought about it before, but yes, I think the P6V is more effective as a surround speaker. I will pay more attention to that as I swap to the rear row in the future.

I agree totally with your thoughts. The P6V should be a better, more dynamic speaker and a better match for the P8. Yet, much of the information on surround speakers doesn't require more than a P5. I think it really comes down to your budget. If the room wouldn't have gone over my budget so much, I was going to go ALL P6V/P6iW for the 10 surround speakers. My wife nixed me there. Nyal told me it wasn't necessary, but then again he told me to go with an AVR (to stay within my budget). I'm SO glad I went with separates! Nyal said putting money into acoustic treatments would be a better use of my money than to buy all P6/P6V/P6iW. I did replace a P5, but I think it was an anomaly. None of the other P5s have had issues. At least I got 3 x P8s and 2 x P6Vs!

I have seen several Procella company demo setups where they use only P5s for their surrounds.

My room isn't calibrated yet and the acoustic treatments aren't even built, much less installed. My room has many strengths. Like all rooms, it has its weaknesses as well. Right now I am only using my Yamaha to "process" until calibration when we will be using the Xilicas. Right now the weakness in the room is mid bass and lack of volume from the ceiling and rear speakers. I have all four ceiling speakers running hot at +9dB and the rears at +2dB. In the rear row, the rears are fine. In the front, they are not, but that is a weakness of a small theater, not the speaker. I do believe what I'm hearing is 3 x P8s in front of me and 2 x P6Vs to my sides and the P5s in the ceiling and rear are not keeping up as much. Obviously for some reasons as you mentioned (source material on those channels), but thinking about this more it may be the difference between the P8 + P6V and the P5.

Bottom line, if you have the money I would do the P6V/P6iW over the P5. Like Nyal said though, that money could be put to better use in other areas. Hope that was helpful and not to confusing.
My room is 14x25 with 9.5ft ceiling and I am only using an Integra 80.3 at the moment. I run my rear surround about 4.5db hot and my sides about 3db hot. I like the rears at about 6 db hot but it is just too much when sitting in the back row. When I get my P5v I will let you know if I have to run them hotter than my existing surrounds.

If you are running your system with no acoustic treatment you are going to be amazed after the room is damped with absorbers and the diffusion is installed. I have double walls in my theater room with double layers of 5/8 sheetrock using Green Glue between laters. My floor is a three layer sandwich of plywood using Green Glue between layers and then two layers of mass loaded vinyl. Needless to say I can play movies at reference and I get very little sound in our kitchen below the theater room. I said all this to say that sound waves are not dissipating through our walls ceiling and floor so you will see a huge improvement when you add absorbers.

I found that the more I damped my room the louder I could crank the volume without it being uncomfortable. I think you will get better surround experience after the acoustic treatment is installed. It may be that there are so many reflections from the main speakers that the surrounds can't overcome. Now that my acoustic treatment is installed, movies are extremely dynamic and none of my family or friends ever complain that it is too loud (well maybe my 10 year old daughter . It's only going to get better from here. You sound like a bass nut like me and that is the most exhilarating part of my theater (even beyond the 9ft wide 2.39:1 screen). I love it when our friends watch a movie and everyone screams or jumps in their seats when an unexpected gun shot, explosion or giant robot impact happens.

We raised the roof on our house and pushed the back wall out about 10 feet during a major renovation. After spending so much money I was not happy with the room until the acoustic treatments went in (and after I purchased all my subs ).

Datasat LS10
Procella P8 LCR

Last edited by farsider3000; 10-15-2016 at 01:23 PM.
post #433 of 435 Old 10-16-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolt72 View Post
I hade P6 as surrounds but Changed them for P5v, wanted a "cleaner" look and a White speaker. . .for surround use i really can´t tell the difference between the P6 and the P5v.
Thanks Jolt. I plan to do some testing when I get my P5v and will report back.

Datasat LS10
Procella P8 LCR
post #434 of 435 Old Today, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
New 2017 model of Procella P6V, now with 100x100 VESA

AMP: Trinnov 8-8, 4xProcella DA-05, CROWN CT-4150
Speakers: LCR Procella P610, Rears: Procella P5V, Hight: Procella P5V, Sub: Procella P10-Fp
post #435 of 435 Old Today, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Those look nice! Those VESA mounts would have saved me a lot of time and engineering. Almost makes me wish I would have waited another 6 months for them.

My room just sounds too good to have waited though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Procella P6