The Official Procella Audio Speakers Owners thread - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #31 of 270 Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

You're a self professed DYI guy..............

I've seen your build thread and I understand the 2 dts 10's would have no problem fitting in your room............but I ask, why not use the LMS 5400 Ultras?

On another note, granted the P-18, P-16, P-10 are expensive...........but having on board dsp is helpful...............doesn't Mark Seaton products use the same OEM amp manufacturer? Procella's amps sure look like Marks.............just saying.

Im am more of a "value" than a pure "i have to do it myself" guy although i did enjoy putting the dts's together.. I am a orthopedic surgeon and didnt have a lot of time to devote to building boxes and routing baffles, etc to the degree of OCDness that i have when it comes to building things. . A CNC'd kit was right up my alley and i had already visited Danleys hq when i was in atlanta meeting dennis erskine a few yrs ago before i even bought my house, before the dts 10 existed. The TH SPUD was only out a month or so and was their newest box at yhe time. So I already liked their stuff and if i had not found a good deal on the klipsch thx set i might have a all danley setup
Also i beleive the lms ultras were hard to come by when i was planning my project and i was on a tight time frame (they built my room in 2months or so) and had to have a real tangible product to put behind the screenwall before the screen went up. But if i were doing it today, yes i would be tempted to put 4 or 8 sealed lms behind the screen assuming someone else built the box ( i am even busier now then back then). I would need a lot more amp thpugh vs my 2 ep 2500's, which do great for the efficient dts10. Also remember my total spend for 2 dts and 2 amps was under 3k. That would barely cover 3 lms drivers.

To me the procella subs are like a commercialized version of peoples lms ultra DIY builds, a nice small form factor that can be eq'd and room gain'd flat to low digits. I have no doubt of their performance after talking with dennis and his protoge, the very two people who designed and calibrated my room. But for ME they Re too pricey (as were the genelec subs i was spec'd)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 270 Old 03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

Im am more of a "value" than a pure "i have to do it myself" guy although i did enjoy putting the dts's together.. I am a orthopedic surgeon and didnt have a lot of time to devote to building boxes and routing baffles, etc to the degree of OCDness that i have when it comes to building things. . A CNC'd kit was right up my alley and i had already visited Danleys hq when i was in atlanta meeting dennis erskine a few yrs ago before i even bought my house, before the dts 10 existed. The TH SPUD was only out a month or so and was their newest box at yhe time. So I already liked their stuff and if i had not found a good deal on the klipsch thx set i might have a all danley setup
Also i beleive the lms ultras were hard to come by when i was planning my project and i was on a tight time frame (they built my room in 2months or so) and had to have a real tangible product to put behind the screenwall before the screen went up. But if i were doing it today, yes i would be tempted to put 4 or 8 sealed lms behind the screen assuming someone else built the box ( i am even busier now then back then). I would need a lot more amp thpugh vs my 2 ep 2500's, which do great for the efficient dts10. Also remember my total spend for 2 dts and 2 amps was under 3k. That would barely cover 3 lms drivers.

To me the procella subs are like a commercialized version of peoples lms ultra DIY builds, a nice small form factor that can be eq'd and room gain'd flat to low digits. I have no doubt of their performance after talking with dennis and his protoge, the very two people who designed and calibrated my room. But for ME they Re too pricey (as were the genelec subs i was spec'd)

I can understand your dilemma..............always having your nose into a JAMA!

You mentioned you have heard the P-6's..............can you give just a little more detail on the quality of sound rather than sensitivity? If the 6's are timbre matched to the 8's and P-815, then the proof is in the pudding.........

Thx
post #33 of 270 Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I can understand your dilemma..............always having your nose into a JAMA!

You mentioned you have heard the P-6's..............can you give just a little more detail on the quality of sound rather than sensitivity? If the 6's are timbre matched to the 8's and P-815, then the proof is in the pudding.........

Thx

I thought they were comparable to my klpsch kl60thx lcr's
post #34 of 270 Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

One thing I am interested in is comparing the P8 to Earl Geddes Abbey's since I have them on hand (Shawn didn't hear them and they are pretty damn good). Both have compression drivers, both have foam over the compression drivers and both have waveguides. Interesting comparision I think. Right now, I have the P-8's in boxes and am listening to the Abbey's. I will install the P8s over the weekend but without big changes to the room (coming courtesy of Dennis, Shawn, and Quest Acoustical), expert installation (coming hopefully by Shawn), etc. One thing about compression drivers is you can't beat them for dynamics IMHO. That is the big difference I think between Genelec and Procella from my very brief listening session...more to follow (and dynamics is "emotion"). Not that Genelec is a slouch. Just my 2 mills for those who remember them.

What were your thoughts on the Procella compared to Abbeys?
post #35 of 270 Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the new and improved P15 and the subwoofer is a real beast. I couldn't be more happy! This baby is powerful, controlled, and dynamic. Brings a new layer to every movie I have watched.
post #36 of 270 Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I have the new and improved P15 and the subwoofer is a real beast. I couldn't be more happy! This baby is powerful, controlled, and dynamic. Brings a new layer to every movie I have watched.

You have any measurements? What are they capable of in output? What is the msrp?
post #37 of 270 Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Did you also look at p 10. If so why the p 15. How big is your room and what are you using for front speakers.
post #38 of 270 Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

You have any measurements? What are they capable of in output? What is the msrp?

No measurements. You would have to check the Procella site for specs. $5999 I think. As far as output.....enough IMHO.
post #39 of 270 Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abl1207 View Post

Did you also look at p 10. If so why the p 15. How big is your room and what are you using for front speakers.

20 square meters. I had 2 P10's but I wanted more output down low and deeper extension. Procella P6 all around.
post #40 of 270 Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
After much procrastination, I have finally committed to Procella for my new theatre - P610 x 3 for LCR, P6 x 6 for sides and surrounds, P15 x 2 for main subs, P10Si x 3 for balancing subs, plus Procella amps with DSP for all channels.

Can't wait ... the next six months is going to kill me !!
post #41 of 270 Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

After much procrastination, I have finally committed to Procella for my new theatre - P610 x 3 for LCR, P6 x 6 for sides and surrounds, P15 x 2 for main subs, P10Si x 3 for balancing subs, plus Procella amps with DSP for all channels.

Can't wait ... the next six months is going to kill me !!

Has Procella added new products? Some of the model numbers you mention make no sense..............

Procella now uses amps with DSP for all channels? Is the inference Procella Audio is now following the footsteps of Professional Home Cinema ie. PHC or Proaudio Technology by using biamped dsp for each individual speaker?

This is news to me....................
post #42 of 270 Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Has Procella added new products? Some of the model numbers you mention make no sense..............

Procella now uses amps with DSP for all channels? Is the inference Procella Audio is now following the footsteps of Professional Home Cinema ie. PHC or Proaudio Technology by using biamped dsp for each individual speaker?

Yes, new products, all the be revealed at CEDIA Indianapolis, in Sound Room 8. Peter is just ahead of the curve with his room, but then again, he has the benefit of DE on his team ;-)

The P610 is the full-range, three-way, bi-amped LCR loudspeaker, using the P6 combined with a P10-SI (Single, Installation) to create a studio quality loudspeaker for medium sized rooms. The P10-SI was first shown at ISE in Amsterdam in Feb'11 and this compact unit can serve as the bass unit for the P610 (Not a subwoofer!) or indeed as a distributed, balancing subwoofer for small and medium rooms. As a balancing subwoofer you will use two or three, distributed around the room. The main subwoofers would be in the front, being your P10, P15 or P18!

Amplifiers, details will be revealed in SR8, CEDIA, IN.
post #43 of 270 Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I knew my post would create some confusion ... so I checked with Gerben before I posted ... look at our locations and all will become clear !! We live literally two minutes apart ... how will I ever keep him out of my room once it's finished ??!!
post #44 of 270 Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I don't believe they are following PHC by any stretch. The original P815s had internal amplifiers with imbedded DSPs (basically, an active design). Who is PHC following? Meridian? Genelec? There is a long list of known advantages to "active" designs for years and years regardless of how implemented. The designer, or a very competent calibrator, can tailor the crossovers and response to work with the installed environment. Of course, you do have to start with a fundamentally great speaker design.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #45 of 270 Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

Yes, new products, all the be revealed at CEDIA Indianapolis, in Sound Room 8. Peter is just ahead of the curve with his room, but then again, he has the benefit of DE on his team ;-)

The P610 is the full-range, three-way, bi-amped LCR loudspeaker, using the P6 combined with a P10-SI (Single, Installation) to create a studio quality loudspeaker for medium sized rooms. The P10-SI was first shown at ISE in Amsterdam in Feb'11 and this compact unit can serve as the bass unit for the P610 (Not a subwoofer!) or indeed as a distributed, balancing subwoofer for small and medium rooms. As a balancing subwoofer you will use two or three, distributed around the room. The main subwoofers would be in the front, being your P10, P15 or P18!

Amplifiers, details will be revealed in SR8, CEDIA, IN.

Well, you've sparked my interest! Though I must say my preference is passive systems since my intention is to have all AV equipment outside the dedicated room.

Seems product info will have to wait until CEDIA 2011? Cat's out of the bag you know...........any more details? Is this P610 a Minnie Me version of the P815?

How does this P610 product match up sound/price wise to Triad Plat LCR or even the Triad Gold LCR?

Since I intend to get DE involved with my project once my land use issues are settled............I'm always interested in learning/hearing about Procella products.
post #46 of 270 Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1344547

This is a new thread called "Another DownUnder theatre" by Peter M, which follows his home cinema build, complete with Dennis Erskine design and Procella Audio speakers. Very nice, very interesting.
post #47 of 270 Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Well, you've sparked my interest! Though I must say my preference is passive systems since my intention is to have all AV equipment outside the dedicated room.
Seems product info will have to wait until CEDIA 2011? Cat's out of the bag you know...........any more details? Is this P610 a Minnie Me version of the P815?
How does this P610 product match up sound/price wise to Triad Plat LCR or even the Triad Gold LCR?
Since I intend to get DE involved with my project once my land use issues are settled............I'm always interested in learning/hearing about Procella products.

Hi Doublewing, answers to your questions:
1. Passive means XO, Active means DSP to separate the frequencies at signal level. Location of the amp is just a matter of convenience. So you can have a Passive speaker with the amp on-board, or an Active with the amps/DSP in-rack. The P610 is Active (DSP to separate the Bass from Mid/High), with the amp/DSP located in the rack(!), Bi-amping the P10-SI and the P6, with 350W each. The P6 is passive, as it has a cross-over! We use very high quality XO, and in our test over the years (using studio engineers!), we couldn't hear the difference between Tri-amp active and combination active/passive with Bi-amp. Benefit of using the passive P6 is that it provides IDENTICAL VOICES throughout the surround field, as the P6 in the P610 screen channels is of course IDENTICAL to the P6 used for the surrounds.
So yes, the P610 amps/DSP are outside the room, if you want.

2. 'Is this P610 a Minnie Me version of the P815?' Uh, yes. It is a full-range, three-way, bi-amped, active/passive, using dedicated amp/DSP in-rack, using proprietary wave-guide and closed box, dual-cabinet, M/H can be turned-in, shallow-depth, THX-cinema-spec, loudspeaker. So yes. P610 is Mini-Me P815.

3. Uh, no comment? remember, we used to work for DTS and we were drilled never to comment on other companies. Guess who that was?
post #48 of 270 Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Doublewing, answers to your questions:
1. Passive means XO, Active means DSP to separate the frequencies at signal level. Location of the amp is just a matter of convenience. So you can have a Passive speaker with the amp on-board, or an Active with the amps/DSP in-rack. The P610 is Active (DSP to separate the Bass from Mid/High), with the amp/DSP located in the rack(!), Bi-amping the P10-SI and the P6, with 350W each. The P6 is passive, as it has a cross-over! We use very high quality XO, and in our test over the years (using studio engineers!), we couldn't hear the difference between Tri-amp active and combination active/passive with Bi-amp. Benefit of using the passive P6 is that it provides IDENTICAL VOICES throughout the surround field, as the P6 in the P610 screen channels is of course IDENTICAL to the P6 used for the surrounds.
So yes, the P610 amps/DSP are outside the room, if you want.

2. 'Is this P610 a Minnie Me version of the P815?' Uh, yes. It is a full-range, three-way, bi-amped, active/passive, using dedicated amp/DSP in-rack, using proprietary wave-guide and closed box, dual-cabinet, M/H can be turned-in, shallow-depth, THX-cinema-spec, loudspeaker. So yes. P610 is Mini-Me P815.

3. Uh, no comment? remember, we used to work for DTS and we were drilled never to comment on other companies. Guess who that was?

Thanks...............looking forward to see more about these new products.

On point three, not fair for me to ask the question in this thread so please disregard. BTW, the comment was directed toward Dennis.
post #49 of 270 Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 AM

What size room would you use the 610 in and. How does it compare to the p8 for f/lcr. Is there an msrp of the 610.
post #50 of 270 Old 08-14-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abl1207 View Post

What size room would you use the 610 in and. How does it compare to the p8 for f/lcr. Is there an msrp of the 610.

The P610 is designed as a main speaker that can deliver THX-spec SPL for mid to large rooms, 15' to 30' (5 to 9m) in length.

The P8 is not full-range, has a narrower dispersion characteristic (80Hx50V) more suitable to larger rooms, whereas the P6 has 90°H x 60°V from 2.0 kHz. The P8 also has a recommendation for rooms 15 to 30 feet in depth.

The P8 and the P6 have been designed to sound identical, at the same listening distance and same SPL. The P610 has the added benefit of the 10" bass unit, making it full range, which is strongly preferred for LCR, by audio professionals in post production and music mixing. All movies are mixed using full-range LCR.

So in the same room, and within the recommendation, I would go with the P610 and the DA-1400 DSP/amplifier combination.

Pricing to be announced at CEDIA.
post #51 of 270 Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Pricing to be announced at CEDIA.

I just learned that P610 pricing will be announced next week already via our newsletter. See our website for details.
post #52 of 270 Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am having a basic design done by the Erskine Group, more specifically Shawn Byrne. I have come to highly respect their recommendations and am considering a more detailed design by them for a new theater. Procella speakers are highly recommended, but I would like to have a listen, but am unsure how/where to do so.

I'm sorry that I'm posting in an owners' thread, but I have every intention of being one

Anyway, is there a local dealer or demo available in south Texas, preferably Austin/San Antonio area?
post #53 of 270 Old 08-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG View Post

I am having a basic design done by the Erskine Group, more specifically Shawn Byrne. I have come to highly respect their recommendations and am considering a more detailed design by them for a new theater. Procella speakers are highly recommended, but I would like to have a listen, but am unsure how/where to do so.

I'm sorry that I'm posting in an owners' thread, but I have every intention of being one

Anyway, is there a local dealer or demo available in south Texas, preferably Austin/San Antonio area?

Of course you should hear the speakers before you buy them! We call that the 'Procella Effect'. You'll know hat we mean when you have heard them ;-)

Our Man in America, Mr. Chuck Back, is of course the one to arrange this for you. I will shoot you a PM to set up contact.
post #54 of 270 Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM

P610 in the flesh. We are experiencing A LOT of positive interest for the P610 from around the globe! Seems people like the idea of a medium-sized, full-range, active, bi-amped loudspeaker... TWICE link
post #55 of 270 Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Gerben,

I'm working with Dennis on a new theater and plan on going to CEDIA. I'm looking forward to checking out your Procella exhibit. Can you share what system(s) you are planning to demo? I'm assuming you are going to demo at least the P610s for LCRs, but I was curious what main and balancing subs and surrounds you were using? Any other demo configurations? Also, can you shed any light on the amp/dsp for for the P610s. For example, can I run the P6 module with a current amp and run the woofer module with an existing amp/dsp? Or do you need the DSP for the P6 module. I wasn't sure if the DSP was more for controlling the bass response of the bass module based on room placement and if you could get a high-pass line out after filtering for the separate amp. As you might guess, I have a nice 5-channel amp that I would like to use for the main 5 channels in addition to supplemental Procella amp/DSPs for the remaining channels in a 9.X system.

Hope to see you at CEDIA,

Thanks,

Ben

Ben
post #56 of 270 Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi Ben, first of all, I hope Irene will be kind on your state... it looks menacing!

You questions are very good, I shall try to answer concisely:

Demo at CEDIA: we are working on getting The Very First P610 system to premier at the show, but... as this involves international shipping from Sweden, we have a P8 system in back-up as well. System would be P610, new P15 (which rocks!), P10-SI, and P6 surrounds if all goes well.

The P6 itself does not need the DSP, it is a normal P6 with an XO on board. The DA-1400 will have Signal Out after the DSP, so you could use your existing amp to power part of your system. The DSP in the DA-1400 does the hi-pass/lo-pass between the P10-SI and the P6. On top of that it can do in-room EQ, but all of that would be available to you using Signal-Out.

Please bring your amp specs and room design / system specs with you and we will get you to sit down with Anders Uggelberg so you can talk through the details of the options available to you (more than one way to skin the cat...). Try to pick a quiet time if you can.

Please do note that the P610 is available now, but the DA-1400 is still in pre-production, with production available later this year. Dennis is aware of the lead times.

Looking forward to seeing you at CEDIA, Godspeed to you and your fellow Carolinians.
post #57 of 270 Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 AM

CE Pro magazine included the P10-SI as a "Must-See Product at CEDIA Expo 2011"! The only subwoofer product to be included in that exciting list! Bloody great!
post #58 of 270 Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Hi Ben, first of all, I hope Irene will be kind on your state... it looks menacing!

You questions are very good, I shall try to answer concisely:

Demo at CEDIA: we are working on getting The Very First P610 system to premier at the show, but... as this involves international shipping from Sweden, we have a P8 system in back-up as well. System would be P610, new P15 (which rocks!), P10-SI, and P6 surrounds if all goes well.

The P6 itself does not need the DSP, it is a normal P6 with an XO on board. The DA-1400 will have Signal Out after the DSP, so you could use your existing amp to power part of your system. The DSP in the DA-1400 does the hi-pass/lo-pass between the P10-SI and the P6. On top of that it can do in-room EQ, but all of that would be available to you using Signal-Out.

Please bring your amp specs and room design / system specs with you and we will get you to sit down with Anders Uggelberg so you can talk through the details of the options available to you (more than one way to skin the cat...). Try to pick a quiet time if you can.

Please do note that the P610 is available now, but the DA-1400 is still in pre-production, with production available later this year. Dennis is aware of the lead times.

Looking forward to seeing you at CEDIA, Godspeed to you and your fellow Carolinians.

Gerben,

Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify, if you use the Signal Out to drive an external amplifier for the P6, do you basically have to waste one of the DA-1400's amplifiers? Or can you use that extra amplifier to drive an P10SI? For example, if I had three P610s up front, can I use the amplifiers in one DA1400 to drive the base modules for the three P610s and one P10SI and use three external amplifiers to drive the P6 modules? I wasn't sure how flexible the DSP was. You know how it is in the design phase, it is fun to think of all those cat skinning ways. I know Dennis will make sure things are perfect, but I enjoy the playing with the technology.

Let's hope the shippers bring the 610s to the States for CEDIA.

As for the Irene, the Raleigh area is just getting a lot of rain and some decent winds - nothing too crazy.

I look forward to seeing you and Anders at the show.

Ben

Ben
post #59 of 270 Old 09-07-2011, 07:03 AM

post #60 of 270 Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Anymore details of the DA-1400 available yet ?

Also interested in the answers on Ben's questions above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Procella P6

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page