3Likes

post #91 of 234 Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi Matt,

I'm using some Quest stuff plus some DIY. We'll need Dennis to comment on the baffle wall issue, as I understand he uses them on most of his designs. Must be something particular about yours.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 234 Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
P860 looks like fun.............

http://bbs.mksound.com.cn/attachment...0c895d25a4.jpg
post #93 of 234 Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Baffle wall for me. Very happy! The sound being mated with the action on screen plus not visually seeing the speakers all helps to enhance the immersion and escape into the film, IMHO.
post #94 of 234 Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPADDY View Post

P860 looks like fun.............

http://bbs.mksound.com.cn/attachment...0c895d25a4.jpg

Found this PDF for a complete High End system package that includes the P860 as LCR's. Along the side there is a description of the P860's. I don't know if this is accurate, but it sounds reasonable.......High Output dynamic speaker that can fill the very largest rooms! If I won the lottery I would throw 7 of these in a room with 4 P18's with about 11 DA1400's for a total of 15,500 watts of amplification. Then I would invest in a good set of ear plugs!!
post #95 of 234 Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Matt,

I'm using some Quest stuff plus some DIY. We'll need Dennis to comment on the baffle wall issue, as I understand he uses them on most of his designs. Must be something particular about yours.

Cheers,

Dennis designed my room. No baffle wall. I had my own speakers already though. . Baffle helps in larger rooms i believe. Adds "free" dBs of output for same speakers. I already can reach refernece levels at all seating areas so even if it were recommended i would see what added cost was before deciding. Just my 2 cents
post #96 of 234 Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

Baffle wall for me. Very happy! The sound being mated with the action on screen plus not visually seeing the speakers all helps to enhance the immersion and escape into the film, IMHO.

This does not require a baffle, just a AT screen and correctly spaced speakers and a properly treated and calibrated room
post #97 of 234 Old 01-10-2012, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

This does not require a baffle, just a AT screen and correctly spaced speakers and a properly treated and calibrated room

Gotcha. So I guess you would just have the speakers on the wall mounted, and an AT screen in front of the speakers.
post #98 of 234 Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

Dennis designed my room. No baffle wall. I had my own speakers already though. . Baffle helps in larger rooms i believe. Adds "free" dBs of output for same speakers. I already can reach refernece levels at all seating areas so even if it were recommended i would see what added cost was before deciding. Just my 2 cents

I think that is part of it, and I do have a "larger" room (22'x28'x11'). But I think it is also to made the soundfield more uniform. That's the only part that concerns me, I'm not worried about a few more dB.

Matt
post #99 of 234 Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #100 of 234 Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Not much here, but at least its a Procella article on the new P860.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...audio-p860-pre

Matt
post #101 of 234 Old 02-03-2012, 01:46 AM

Liked: 16
http://commercialintegrator.com/phot...2_highlights/6
"Big audio also came in a big size, through Procella Audio's P860. Got a boutique cinema client looking for some intense audio, or other large venue or theater space that needs a rockin' system? The P860 is about 6 feet tall and can output THX-level 105 dB levels effortlessly. This model, which uses a pair of amps to drive it, can fill a room with clarity, detail and power."
post #102 of 234 Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

http://commercialintegrator.com/phot...2_highlights/6
"Big audio also came in a big size, through Procella Audio's P860. Got a boutique cinema client looking for some intense audio, or other large venue or theater space that needs a rockin' system? The P860 is about 6 feet tall and can output THX-level 105 dB levels effortlessly. This model, which uses a pair of amps to drive it, can fill a room with clarity, detail and power."

Congrats on the successful launch of a speaker for those large private screening rooms and High End Home Theaters!

Do you have any info you can give on the DA-1400, such as projected availability and power ratings, etc.. Is it 350 watts continuous or short term peak? Thanks.
post #103 of 234 Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 AM

I visited the ISE a couple of days ago and also visited the Procella stand. Besides the P860 they also had the DA1400 on display. It is housed in a half width housing with rounded sides. A curious design choice, because from a custom install brand you'd expect a full 19" rackmount case. Now you need a special tray to house two units side-by-side, and if you have a third you have a hole in your rack....

Other news was that the P8 seems to have the same 8" bullet phase plug driver as the P860. Also there now is a vertical version of the P6, the P6V.

A nice demo-room was build on the stand, running 3x P610, 4x P6 and P15, driven by a Datasat pre/pro and Kaleidescape BR source.
post #104 of 234 Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my Procella speakers...but my room isn't finished and my Sony 1000ES isn't here yet anyway. Also my screen is a few weeks away.

Matt
post #105 of 234 Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'd like to know more about the P6V. Any pics? I'm still considering the Procella's, but my only hang up is using the P6's for surrounds. I was hoping for a smaller, in-wall, footprint.

Jim
post #106 of 234 Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

I'd like to know more about the P6V. Any pics? I'm still considering the Procella's, but my only hang up is using the P6's for surrounds. I was hoping for a smaller, in-wall, footprint.

Jim

I don't know for sure about if they can be built in a wall, but I have read the Installation manual on their homepage, and nothing was mentioned about in wall placement. However, if you will be treating your side walls, you can always "build in" the P6 with acoustic treatment, and then cover it with a colored AT fabric...add lights...and you get a cool effect (idea from Pär Hörnell).

Also, you could create a "built in baffle" with the surrounds.....I would think.
post #107 of 234 Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A well known designer here set me up with in-wall Triads for surrounds and balancing subs to go along with the Procellas. They are in speaker columns, but I would think you could actually do them in-wall. Procella will tell you that you are going to miss out on some of the advantages of having the matched speakers everywhere, but you save some money in the process as well.

I don't have this setup actually installed yet, so who knows.

Matt
post #108 of 234 Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Jim

Depth wise they looked the same. See the Procella Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8779692&type=3

The P6V is shown on the right of photos 4 and 6 , left from the demo room entrance door.
post #109 of 234 Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Thanks guys, I've been following the line closely and I'll be making a decision soon.

Thanks for the pic link Robbo...that helped a lot.

Jim
post #110 of 234 Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 AM

Hi all, the technical specifications for the P6V are in the 'Tech sheets for all products' on page http://www.procella.citymax.com/loudspeakers.html. Near the Top of the Page you will find the links for the Letter and A4 versions of this PDF, which contain specs for all products, including P6V and P860.

YES, the P6V:
  1. Is technically 100% identical to the horizontal P6 - same drivers, same XO
  2. Can be installed 'In-Wall' using the boxing-in method and hidden with fabric (remove the grill)
  3. Was always on the drawing boards since the inception of the P6, but P6H made it to market first as it can be used in the P610 as well...
  4. Was recently revived due to customer request, specifically a well-known home cinema designer who sometimes posts in these pages... (Trivia: find the cinema that already has P6V installed, made specifically in a limited pre-production run??)
post #111 of 234 Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
P6V can be mounted in-wall or in column. Marvelous.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #112 of 234 Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 PM

post #113 of 234 Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 12
In case you're interested, we've posted an ISE Show photo gallery on our Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8779692&type=1

Photos of the P6V, P860, and more!
post #114 of 234 Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are passive versions of all Procella subs currently available, or is that something that may happen in the future. Also how do you expect the price of the passive sub plus amp to compare to the active versions? Thanks.
post #115 of 234 Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 PM

P860 Video: http://ravepubs.com/index.php?option...view=ravevideo

This is me at ISE12 in Amsterdam, being jumped on by the rAVe TV crew and my subsequent impromptu introduction of the P860. Correction on the video: we have listed the P860 as EUR 12,000 each without DSP/amplification. We are introducing a comprehensive DSP/amp pricing structure soon.
post #116 of 234 Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe I missed it...is there a price difference between the P6 and P6V?
post #117 of 234 Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Maybe I missed it...is there a price difference between the P6 and P6V?

No price difference. U.S. MSRP is $1,599 each for both versions.
post #118 of 234 Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Back View Post

No price difference. U.S. MSRP is $1,599 each for both versions.

Ok. Thanks for reply.
post #119 of 234 Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had the opportunity to go to Randy Bessinger's room a few days ago (thanks Randy) and I thought I would give a very short impression.

My time there was brief and we only had time for the Master and Commander scene and a little music. The room includes P8's, P6's, P18, P10's, Quest treatments, and lots of DSP/EQ gear calibrated by Shawn Byrne.

I have seen the M&C scene many times but I had never experienced it like that before. The sense of envelopment was fantastic. It really did feel like steel was being hurtled straight through the room. The voices were crystal clear. I am not sure how loud we were listening but is was very loud indeed. The subs delivered the low frequency and a real impact when called for. Overall, the room just fit together well. It was a cohesive experience and I have never heard a room like that. It was really dialed in and we commented after the scene about how we both felt like we were there. The music was also impressive and I would love to listen some more.

The Procella Effect is real. I know there were a lot of elements in that room contributing to what I heard but the Procella's were an integral part and are extremely capable.

Thanks again Randy.

I am having the Erskine Group do the room layout service for me and while I won't be able to achieve what I heard in Randy's room I hope I can get something at least similar. This listen has me really wanting to sell the Klipsch RF-83's and pick up the Procella's. If only there was room in the budget. We will see what Shawn recommends.

Anyway, for you guys that are on the fence. Go listen. You will need no other encouragement.
post #120 of 234 Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM

Thanks Jedi Master.

The Procella Effect is what we call when people hear our speakers for the first time / properly and are blown away by a level of audio quality they have never heard before. Usually they describe that they will hear detail in well-known movie clips and music tracks they have never heard before; the clarity in the voices; the dynamics and reality in the bass; the coherence in the surround sound field; that music sounded so good they want to listen to more (and that they played a lot louder than they normally would but that it wasn't uncomfortable, in fact pleasant). At first it was a curiosity to us when people responded strong like this, now we just nod at each other. The Procella Effect.

It has helped us grow from two table tops with a few speakers at CEDIA 2009 to being part of the Gold Award winning formula for Best Home Theatre 2012 from EH. Of course we are proud of that, but most of all we are grateful every time someone decides to purchase our loudspeakers.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Procella P6

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page