Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 240 Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Figured I would start this thread since it doesn't exist.  Learn more about their cinema quality no nonsense low distortion high output speakers at Procella Audio's website

Follow Procella Audio on Facebook!

Here is a wonderful slideshow that is on their website that gives a brief history of the company as well as an overview of their speakers.

Their lineup consists of:

Loudspeakers

P5

P6

P6V (vertical orientated version of P6)

P6iW (in-wall)

P8

P815

P610

P860

Subwoofers (Active)

P10

P12

P15

P18

Subwoofers (Passive)

PP10-si

P10-FP

P15-FP

P18-FP

Amplifiers:

DA-2800 (4 channel 2800 watt)

Awards

Tech Specs Including Pictures, descriptions, specs, and scale CAD drawings for every product.....in one document

P8 Polar Response Data

White Paper and Installation Handbook

This is a Swedish company that you can learn more about their history on the website.

I am curious if there are any other Procella owners out there on AVS. They are available in the US, and in many other countries around the world.

I simply love the speakers and have found the customer service to be top notch and personal. I have the P6 as my main 5 speakers and the P15 subwoofer.  Soundtracks sound powerful, accurate and clean. Not much more to say except I am super happy and every movie track comes to life in an exciting way. I have the P6's behind an AT screen and I really love how the sound is tied to the movie. They seem to be as good as the source material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gamelover360; 09-22-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 240 Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM

We are Genelec & recently Procella dealers and admittedly a little biased but the P6's really do blow the doors off comparable Genelec's (sorry Genelec). They are wide and smooth and reach surprisingly high SPL's. We like really them.
post #3 of 240 Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Would be nice to know the exact MSRP.........just passing on what I know, which might be incorrect.

I thought the P-8's were $2499 each.......

From what little I know:

P-6 $1499
P-8 $2499
P-815 $8999

P-10 $3999
P-15 $5499
P-18 $8999

Reviews haven't been too kind to the P-6, but the P-8 has been given accolades.............

I have a hard time stomaching the P-18's price................ a Funky Waves dual opposed custom built sub using two LMS 5400 Ultra drivers matched with QSC RMX 5050 amp would be half the price.........and a better performer IMHO.

My Build Threads

post #4 of 240 Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Would be nice to know the exact MSRP.........just passing on what I know, which might be incorrect.

I thought the P-8's were $2499 each.......

From what little I know:

P-6 $1499
P-8 $2499
P-815 $8999

P-10 $3999
P-15 $5499
P-18 $8999

Reviews haven't been too kind to the P-6, but the P-8 has been given accolades.............

I have a hard time stomaching the P-18's price................ a Funky Waves dual opposed custom built sub using two LMS 5400 Ultra drivers matched with QSC RMX 5050 amp would be half the price.........and a better performer IMHO.

I have only seen one review of the P6. Frankly speaking, the reviewer sounds like op ed writer in the life and style section of an uppity newspaper, and nothing like a technical AV reviewer. There is no details in the review....lots of rambling . I have a feeling that was a canned review where they really didn't spend much time with the speakers in a well set up room, and the reviewer comes off as amateurish.

The only negative comment about the P6 (He said the P8 inspired "Awe") was here:
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, these are high-quality speakers and all that is published in their extensive white papers about linearity and power and fabulously-controlled dispersion is true, but for me this is like early Mercedes A class cars; essence of brand filtered down to the point of disappointment.

So he says in the very same sentence that they are high quality and all the fabulous stuff in the white paper is true....but...the essence of the brand is filtered down to the point of disappointment. So they are fabulous and disappointing. Insightful. Great stuff. He throws in a Mercedes reference for good measure. I real reviewer would not double talk and have a complete lack of detail (measurements, subjective listening test with various reference scenes, etc.).

Sadly, that quote was the only paragraph that discussed the performance of the P6.

In closing, what I got from the review is that he doesn't care for the style.....Fair enough, that is his opinion. I also gleened that the P8 was awe inspiring and the P6 was fabulous. Now that is some great detail to inform my purchase. I prefer fabulous some nights, but then again awe inspiring is not bad to have on hand. My final dig is that he spent way more time harping about he style and his refined tastes, and all of one paragraph on the performance.

It would be interesting to see more reviews, but for me it is of little concern as my ears are VERY happy with my Merecedes A class fabulous speakers.

post #5 of 240 Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well..........

Dennis Erskine has praise for the system- that in itself speaks volumes...........

My understanding Dennis has mostly built/spec-ed dedicated rooms using the P-815 up front and P-8's for surrounds.........expensive proposition considering subs are to be included too.

Like anything else............listen and decide for your self.......which is difficult due to only three US distributors, one of which is Dennis' business. In due time, that might change.............

My Build Threads

post #6 of 240 Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well..........

Dennis Erskine has praise for the system- that in itself speaks volumes...........

My understanding Dennis has mostly built/spec-ed dedicated rooms using the P-815 up front and P-8's for surrounds.........expensive proposition considering subs are to be included too.

Like anything else............listen and decide for your self.......which is difficult due to only three US distributors, one of which is Dennis' business. In due time, that might change.............

It does say something that Dennis has praised them, you are spot on. They also have won various best of show awards and the such. I don't know if Dennis has used P6's as mains in a project, but I know that for small to medium sized rooms they sound excellent. I would imagine that for larger rooms the P8 may be the ticket.

I actually don't really understand the point of the P815 for Home Cinema, because the bass is normally routed to the subs below 80 hz, and a P8 does great from 80 hz and up. Why include a 15 inch subwoofer below the P8 as one unit....the P815. I know the P815 is more than a P15 sub stuck below a P8, and I probably just don't understand the engineering and the puropse of a P815. This question applies to any full range "tower" main speakers as well.

post #7 of 240 Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will be getting a P15 Wednesday. I have had dual P10's thus far, so I am going to a single P15. I have a very small HT and I am only concerned about where my wife and I (let's be serious...just me) sit when we watch movies. I think that one sub properly placed and EQ'ed will generate a fairly smooth frequency response. I had the p10's co located before.

Why am I changing subs, because the P10 has a -3 db point of 26 hz. I wanted more output below 25 hz. It was a tough decision because the bass is so articulate, powerful, effortless, and tactile with the P10....and my friends think I need meds for wishing for more. But in the end I made the move because my room and critical seats doesn't demand multiple subs....so I decided to add some deeper LF extension into the experience. My installer told me I didn't need two subs in my small room, but I was adamant about getting two. Hey, if one is good, two is better....right?
So I look forward to integrating the P15 and re-watching all my Blu rays!!! Yipee! I will post some impressions.

post #8 of 240 Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anders Uggelberg of Procella dropped off my P15 today and fielded all my questions and then some. What a genuinely nice guy. Very passionate about sound. I will post some pics of the beast when I am not so tired. I think I am in Love. Not with Anders......with the P15.

post #9 of 240 Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm the U.S.-based Procella Audio partner, so I'll be hanging out here to answer any questions and to post comments from time to time.

Thanks to gamelover360 for creating the thread!

To start, the current U.S. pricing for Procella is a little different than the posting above:

P6 $1599
P8 $2599
P815 $9999
P10 $3999
P15 $5999
P18 $9999
post #10 of 240 Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Back View Post

I’m the U.S.-based Procella Audio partner, so I’ll be hanging out here to answer any questions and to post comments from time to time.

Thanks to gamelover360 for creating the thread!

To start, the current U.S. pricing for Procella is a little different than the posting above:

P6 $1599
P8 $2599
P815 $9999
P10 $3999
P15 $5999
P18 $9999

Great! I have on order 4 (actually already purchased 3 P6's), 3 P-8's and 1 more P-6 for a 7 speaker surround set-up. (already have other subs). I understand I will be getting the revised P-8's and my question is will they still blend nicely with the P-6's timbre wise?
post #11 of 240 Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I actually don't really understand the point of the P815 for Home Cinema, because the bass is normally routed to the subs below 80 hz, and a P8 does great from 80 hz and up. Why include a 15 inch subwoofer below the P8 as one unit....the P815. I know the P815 is more than a P15 sub stuck below a P8, and I probably just don't understand the engineering and the puropse of a P815. This question applies to any full range "tower" main speakers as well.

The reason for using the 15" woofer (it's not a subwoofer) in the P815 is to increase the speaker's output. By creating a three-way speaker and moving the crossover point for the 8" woofer up to a higher frequency, we get significantly more output (and lower distortion) from that woofer.

In the P815, the 15" woofer extends down to around 40 Hz, which does not qualify it as a subwoofer, but does meet cinema speaker standards for full-range speakers.

Another point: bass extension below 80 Hz gives users the option of setting a lower crossover point between the main speakers and the subwoofer (say, 50 or 60 Hz).
post #12 of 240 Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

Great! I have on order 4 (actually already purchased 3 P6's), 3 P-8's and 1 more P-6 for a 7 speaker surround set-up. (already have other subs). I understand I will be getting the revised P-8's and my question is will they still blend nicely with the P-6's timbre wise?

Absolutely - the updated P8s are tuned to sound identical to the P6s, except for their ability to play louder.
post #13 of 240 Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Back View Post

The reason for using the 15" woofer (it's not a subwoofer) in the P815 is to increase the speaker's output. By creating a three-way speaker and moving the crossover point for the 8" woofer up to a higher frequency, we get significantly more output (and lower distortion) from that woofer.

In the P815, the 15" woofer extends down to around 40 Hz, which does not qualify it as a subwoofer, but does meet cinema speaker standards for full-range speakers.

Another point: bass extension below 80 Hz gives users the option of setting a lower crossover point between the main speakers and the subwoofer (say, 50 or 60 Hz).

Thanks Chuck. I guess these things would be especially important in larger rooms where the speaker is being pushed harder to achieve the deisred spl.

post #14 of 240 Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anders Uggelberg of Procella dropped off my P15 today and fielded all my questions and then some. What a genuinely nice guy. Very passionate about sound. I will post some pics of the beast when I am not so tired. I think I am in Love. Not with Anders......with the P15.

I took some pics of the P15 in place. My memory card is acting up, so pics will come soon. But I finished an Audyssey Pro calibration after finding the best spot in the room ( I tried 8 spots over 2 nights), and then I calibrated using 12 mic positions.

The results are fantastic. The obvious improvement is the lowest frequencies, they really add texture, immersion, and detail to explosions and other effects that utilize the lowest frequencies. Different experience watching action movies. That was my main goal, and that was achieved in a quite obvious way (I listened to a rap mix and Ironman Blu ray).

But an unintended benefit is that the sub sounds flatter and thus it has disappeared to a new level. That has to do with the placement (front right corner), and I realize now that I had a bump at around 30hz and a dip around 50 hz where I had the P10 placed (and Audyssey simply didn't eradicate either one entirely). Now everything sounds just right and my attention was never once drawn to the sub, only to the movie. The P10 was a similar experience except with certain effects, where the frequency was exaggerated (around 30 hz), reminding you that you had a sub. It was neat moving the sub around the room and looking at the different frequency responses.

So the P15 has really impressed me, and also gave me a lot of respect for the former P10. The need to find a new spot for the big boy yielded a flatter curve before EQ...and that is always a good thing. I was worried that the sound quality may change going from a P10 to a P15, or the need to find a new place would make the sub stand out in some way....but neither was the case. Just more of a good thing going from a P10 to a P15, plus more output where I was desiring it.

This weekend comes the reference level tests with War of the Worlds and Hurt Locker....to see if the limit light comes on. Never did once with the P10's, so I am keeping fingers crossed that the same will hold true with the P15.

I haven't had the P15 above -20 yet, as the wife and kids are sleeping.

post #15 of 240 Old 03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The million dollar question is when will distribution expand across the US?

I'm like most, blind purchase is not happening.............when will the rest of the country be able to audition Procella speakers for themselves.......more specifically in the Pacific Northwest?

I'm heavily, heavily leaning toward Triad Gold Monitors and Gold Surrounds............but am open to other alternatives but time is really getting short!

Heck, I'm flying back East in two months visiting my daughter and plan on auditioning the new Adam Audio Grand Theatre Components as a last call...........maybe I can find the opportunity to hear the Procella products.

My Build Threads

post #16 of 240 Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
The million dollar question is when will distribution expand across the US?
Our US distribution network is now expanding, and our network of independent sales representatives covers more than half the country. These reps are listed on the Procella website, along with our first dealers and integrators. Interested customers not located near a listed dealer can contact their closest rep for assistance. Our dealer listings will increase as those who have auditioned Procella make their commitments.

Because there aren't many Procella demo systems in the US today, anyone interested in a system should send me a PM. I'll see what arrangements can be made and will get back to you.
post #17 of 240 Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here she is in all her glory...click on thumbnail

About the P6's. Don't look past them. They absolutely shine in my room. I have a fairly small room, so the P6's are perfect for this application. Loud, crisp, an clean no matter where I put the dial. Check out the scene in Hurt Locker where they meet the special force guys in the dessert and then they all get ambushed. The BEST gunfire I have ever hear in a movie. Makes you realize what is possible when the audio mixers take the time to create a truly special audio track that really takes you away in the moment. The P6's were hammering out that scene effortlessly. Felt like I was right in the middle of a real gunfight, less the ringing in the ears.

One thing I have come to respect about Procella is their scientific approach to creating the sonic experience you are after. Look at your room size, desired spl, amount of room treatments...and bingo...they spell out what speakers will get you where you want to go. Subwoofers.... 2 P10's= 1 P15........2 P15's = 1 P18's (If I remember right). Simple numbers...you are not drowned in snazzy marketing hype and an overabundance of audiophile words to describe their speakers special sound, as if they have put 1 and 1 together and gotten 3 and bent the laws of physics along the way.....just the relevant tech details of there highly engineered products. Customer service 2nd to none.

On buying the Procella speakers without an audition.....I can totally understand that. I auditioned them in Stockholm and was sold. I did consult with a respected installer that hangs out around here and asked about them compared to another brand...and I got the information I needed. I would now buy their products sight unseen because I have come to know what they are all about.

post #18 of 240 Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope to be able to post a review here in three to four weeks. My set-up will be three P8's up front, 4 P-6 surrounds, and a P18 sub.
post #19 of 240 Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope to be able to post a review here in three to four weeks. My set-up will be three P8's up front, 4 P-6 surrounds, and a P18 sub.

Wow! Dream setup. I don't think you will be wanting for anything. What will you be using for an EQ solution....if anything?

post #20 of 240 Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! Dream setup. I don't think you will be wanting for anything. What will you be using for an EQ solution....if anything?

I am not sure....it may be a QSX 322 with Shawn Byrne doing the set-up. I have two subs that will be in the mix. A Seaton Submersive and the P18.
post #21 of 240 Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not sure....it may be a QSX 322 with Shawn Byrne doing the set-up. I have two subs that will be in the mix. A Seaton Submersive and the P18.

WOW!

post #22 of 240 Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford Wells View Post

We are Genelec & recently Procella dealers and admittedly a little biased but the P6's really do blow the doors off comparable Genelec's (sorry Genelec). They are wide and smooth and reach surprisingly high SPL's. We like really them.

General statement..........

Can you elaborate on what Genelec model compares to each of the following Procella products......... P-6, P-8, or P-815..............very curious as that is quite the bold statement.

My Build Threads

post #23 of 240 Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Had a client spend an evening in a room with three p815's, two p18s, six p8's and three p10's. He *was* pretty proud of his rig until the audition. Game over. New room on the horizon.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #24 of 240 Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Can you elaborate on what Genelec model compares to each of the following Procella products......... P-6, P-8, or P-815..............very curious as that is quite the bold statement.

P815 would be along the lines of the Genelec 324 or 330

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #25 of 240 Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

P815 would be along the lines of the Genelec 324 or 330

If that's the case, the P-815's are a bargain............

Well, I must find a way to audition the product..........

As the late, great Ronald Reagan once stated, "Trust, but verify"

My Build Threads

post #26 of 240 Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11

If that's the case, the P-815's are a bargain............

Well, I must find a way to audition the product..........

As the late, great Ronald Reagan once stated, "Trust, but verify"
Shawn byrne brought some p6 to my room to demo for a proposed client of his a while back. I thought they were comparable to my klipsch kl650thx lcrs but less sensitive so i would have had to boost the gain a bit to make it a fair AB comparison bc the sounded a bit quieter vs the surrounds, which were level adjusted for the 97dB sensitive klipsch. I would have like to be able to compare the p8 or 815, but those were not available. I also did not hear their subs but i already have plenty of subs(2 danley dts10)and dont think the p18 offer me anything else but also in fairness those subs are SEVERAL times bigger than even the P18 as far as enclosure size. My belief is that the lcr's are a good deal but the subs are over priced vs a custom diy sub (even including in the price having it buit for you)
Just my 2 cents

post #27 of 240 Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I am interested in is comparing the P8 to Earl Geddes Abbey's since I have them on hand (Shawn didn't hear them and they are pretty damn good). Both have compression drivers, both have foam over the compression drivers and both have waveguides. Interesting comparision I think. Right now, I have the P-8's in boxes and am listening to the Abbey's. I will install the P8s over the weekend but without big changes to the room (coming courtesy of Dennis, Shawn, and Quest Acoustical), expert installation (coming hopefully by Shawn), etc. One thing about compression drivers is you can't beat them for dynamics IMHO. That is the big difference I think between Genelec and Procella from my very brief listening session...more to follow (and dynamics is "emotion"). Not that Genelec is a slouch. Just my 2 mills for those who remember them.
post #28 of 240 Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

One thing I am interested in is comparing the P8 to Earl Geddes Abbey's since I have them on hand (Shawn didn't hear them and they are pretty damn good). Both have compression drivers, both have foam over the compression drivers and both have waveguides. Interesting comparision I think. Right now, I have the P-8's in boxes and am listening to the Abbey's. I will install the P8s over the weekend but without big changes to the room (coming courtesy of Dennis, Shawn, and Quest Acoustical), expert installation (coming hopefully by Shawn), etc. One thing about compression drivers is you can't beat them for dynamics IMHO. That is the big difference I think between Genelec and Procella from my very brief listening session...more to follow (and dynamics is "emotion"). Not that Genelec is a slouch. Just my 2 mills for those who remember them.

I think that the genelecs can be great but you have to be prepared to spend a LOT more, including their subs

post #29 of 240 Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

Shawn byrne brought some p6 to my room to demo for a proposed client of his a while back. I thought they were comparable to my klipsch kl650thx lcrs but less sensitive so i would have had to boost the gain a bit to make it a fair AB comparison bc the sounded a bit quieter vs the surrounds, which were level adjusted for the 97dB sensitive klipsch. I would have like to be able to compare the p8 or 815, but those were not available. I also did not hear their subs but i already have plenty of subs(2 danley dts10)and dont think the p18 offer me anything else but also in fairness those subs are SEVERAL times bigger than even the P18 as far as enclosure size. My belief is that the lcr's are a good deal but the subs are over priced vs a custom diy sub (even including in the price having it buit for you)
Just my 2 cents

You're a self professed DYI guy..............

I've seen your build thread and I understand the 2 dts 10's would have no problem fitting in your room............but I ask, why not use the LMS 5400 Ultras?

On another note, granted the P-18, P-16, P-10 are expensive...........but having on board dsp is helpful...............doesn't Mark Seaton products use the same OEM amp manufacturer? Procella's amps sure look like Marks.............just saying.

My Build Threads

post #30 of 240 Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Anybody know anything about a new speaker on the Cards from Procella, called the P860?

Apparently is an Active design with 6 x 10" Bass drivers, 2 x 8" Mids and a Tweeter?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Procella P6

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page