Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Ascend CMT-170/Bic F12 subwoofer? $1191

That would be the CBM-170...not CMT.
I have not heard all in your list(I have heard most), but can put this one in at least in the ballpark of the Hsu. My disclaimer is that I have not heard the Bic F12.

edit: my thoughts were on the Rythmik F12 at first...until I re-read your post.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't care for the sound of the Hsu speakers (love their subs). Horns just don't float my boat. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the Infinities.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I would not over look the NHT - They strike a good balance with
movies and music. Good Luck!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Am listening to the Martin Logan 262 system with the sub and they sound awesome.

Doing some two channel music listening now and I am very impressed.

The steel guitar in Dishwalla's Counting Blue Cars sounded amazing. Down by Jay Sean sounds great too and these really aren't the kind of speakers for that type of music.

Keith Urban's You'll Think of Me sounds great too. The speakers do a great job with guitars.

I still say go to Amazon and get the 262 system the Dynamo 500 and the Yamaha RXV567 for only $1306.

Unless you already have a receiver this is probably the best deal you are going to find.

BTW just the speakers cost $1036
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Okay, I took some advice and went to a showroom to listen to speakers. They carried exactly 2 brands, neither of which were on my list, Klipsch and Bowers & Wilkins. Honestly, the Klipsch were underwhelming, but I loved, *loved* the B&Ws. I believe they were the 686's. They had a tight, rich sound that really nailed the sound I was looking for in my head.

So, do any of the speakers on my list compare to the sound profile of the B&W 600 series? (please say yes)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM

The B&W speakers sound amazing!

I'd love to do a 2 channel system based on the 683 towers.

Aren't the 686's in your budget? They are $479 a pair? Problem is that by time you get two of those and a center and a sub you are way over budget.

Check Aperion speakers. Someone said that the Verus speakers compared good with the B&W speakers. Head over to that thread and ask people what they think. But again you will run out of budget before you hit the 5.1 point.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I will do that. Thanks.

[update]
The equivalent Aperions seem to be more expensive.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM

You are either looking at the wrong speakers or have the wrong price of the B&W's

The B&W 686 book shelf speakers should be $479ish a pair. And the matching center is around $424. For a total cost of $1382.

The Aperion Verus Forte book shelves are $175 each and the center is $350 so an Aperion 5.0 system should run you $1050.

I would still suggest you find someone who has heard a pair of the Forte speakers and confirm that they sound similar to the B&W speakers. Although Aperion has that free return policy so you are unhappy you can send them back.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was calculating for the Grand, not necessarily the Forte. The problem I'm having is that I don't know where I can go to here these things. I've been to a few stores around town, but I've only run into a few brands. B&W, Def, Mirage, and Klipsch.

I'd love to listen to the HSU's, Ascends, Aperions, etc, but I can't find them.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I'd love to listen to the HSU's, Ascends, Aperions, etc, but I can't find them.
They are all internet direct with home trial periods.

Where are you located? Many times local owners are willing to have people over for a listen.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The are all internet direct with home trial periods.

Where are you located? Many times local owners are willing to have people over for a listen.

St. Louis, Missouri.

So far I've been too 3 listening rooms. At the first I listened to Klipsch & B&W. I disliked the Klipsch and loved the B&W's. At the second I still preferred the B&W's over the Def Techs, and the Def Techs over some Mirage Satellites. At the 3rd place, I listened to Klipsch, Polk and some Energy's. I actually kind of liked the Klipsch there, and the Polks and Energy's weren't too bad either. They were also pushing some Focals, but I didn't have time to listen.

It's all kind of overwhelming. Everyday has added another brand to the list and the more I listen to stuff the more it overlapping.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

St. Louis, Missouri.

So far I've been too 3 listening rooms. At the first I listened to Klipsch & B&W. I disliked the Klipsch and loved the B&W's. At the second I still preferred the B&W's over the Def Techs, and the Def Techs over some Mirage Satellites. At the 3rd place, I listened to Klipsch, Polk and some Energy's. I actually kind of liked the Klipsch there, and the Polks and Energy's weren't too bad either. They were also pushing some Focals, but I didn't have time to listen.

It's all kind of overwhelming. Everyday has added another brand to the list and the more I listen to stuff the more it overlapping.

Different source material and placement can bring out the best/worst in every speaker. The best you can do, is to bring along a CD that you are very familiar with, and compare the sound of the different speakers at the same volume on only that CD (as you know, unless the volume is equalized, the more efficient speakers have the advantage).
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 AM

You need to try and find a BestBuy with a magnolia theater that carries the Martin Logan Motion speakers.

Pretty amazing sounding speakers. They may not boom as much as the B&W but they have great clarity AND they fit in your budget which is always a big plus
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoJohn View Post

You need to try and find a BestBuy with a magnolia theater that carries the Martin Logan Motion speakers.

Pretty amazing sounding speakers. They may not boom as much as the B&W but they have great clarity AND they fit in your budget which is always a big plus

I didn't see any ML's at the Magnolia I went to yesterday. I'd be interested in hearing them though.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I went to another Magnolia theater and gave it another round of listening. At this point everthing at a certain level is all starting to sound... not the same, but fine. I can here differences certainly, everything sounds *good* (well every mid range speaker bookshelf anyway). The only thing I came away with was that I really didn't like whatever pioneer models they had and the mirage satellites sucked.

Otherwise, Energy CB-5's, 10's 20's, Martin Logans, and B&W's were all ...good.

I don't know if I'm just experiencing ear fatique or what, but I'm getting more lost and confused over what speakers I want
Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Are you taking your CD's and using your own music?
The best audition is in your home - buy with a 30 day
return policy - speakers sound different in your home.
Pick the one, you are most interested in.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok I went to another Magnolia theater and gave it another round of listening. At this point everthing at a certain level is all starting to sound... not the same, but fine. I can here differences certainly, everything sounds *good* (well every mid range speaker bookshelf anyway). The only thing I came away with was that I really didn't like whatever pioneer models they had and the mirage satellites sucked.

Otherwise, Energy CB-5's, 10's 20's, Martin Logans, and B&W's were all ...good.

I don't know if I'm just experiencing ear fatique or what, but I'm getting more lost and confused over what speakers I want

Where are the Magnolia's in St. Louis? Isn't there one in the South County Best Buy? (St. Louis guy here too)

I'm literally going through just about the exact same thing you're going through. Similar room style, budget, receiver choice, current cheap old system, wife dilemma etc. lol

I like having higher end stuff because of the need for excess...and ego.. In that regard, as far as receivers go, I'm holding out for the Denon 3311ci as it should be dropping a bit more in price once the newer models come out. (Ultimate Electronics in Fenton has/had a 2311 last weekend, but were still asking $750 for it and they're going out of business...crazy) I was looking at the Energy RC-Micro 5.1 system as I read it was better than the Take Classic, but now I'm considering other options as well. TV is a big one-I'm currently only on a 42" Panny Plasma. I'd like to stay Panny Plasma, but I don't know if I want to go over 50"-I like the tc-p50gt25....wanting it to drop a little in price also.

I say all that to say, I'll be watching this thread.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:

My 2cents...

How about this Amazon deal?
MartinLogan 262 5.0 system and a Yamaha RX-V567BL 7.1 AVR for $899??

Add a ML Dynamo 500 for $406 and for $1305 you have a 5.1 and an AVR. Use the money you save to get a nice TV or even step up to a 3d tv like the Sony hx810 55". It's an amazing tv and there are some good prices for it right now.

Find a BB with a magnolia store and go listen to the Motion speakers and see what you think. All the reviews I have seen are very positive. (mine arrive monday) The Motion 2 speakers retail for $200 each and you get four them plus a center so it's a good deal on some nice sounding speakers.

There are some other good bundle deals on Amazon that might appeal to you as well. Look up the ML 262 system and click on the bundle thing and see if there is something you like.

Doest this price still exist?..
I couldn't find it on Amazon..
It looks very good to me...?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Hi..I want to know if there is any way to track ther sales because when I search something to buy I read all the comments and I realize that they buy the stuff on incredible prices..then I say myself how could it be possible,it's not fair..so I wonder how can I track the sales especially the ones regarding electronics..there was a Martin Logan sale which ML motion 262 and Yamaha 557 together 899 dollar..I really want to be warned about this kind of issues..so is there any site or somewhere like that I can take a look at..
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serworacle View Post
Doest this price still exist?..
I couldn't find it on Amazon..
It looks very good to me...?
Go to Amazon and search "motion 262" and then click on special offer to see the bundle deal.

That will get you the motion 262 and Yamaha AVR. You will then have to add the Dynamo sub to get the complete 5.1 system with AVR for $1300ish.

Last months deal was better Motion 262 + dynamo 500 for $899.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Go to Amazon and search "motion 262" and then click on special offer to see the bundle deal.

That will get you the motion 262 and Yamaha AVR. You will then have to add the Dynamo sub to get the complete 5.1 system with AVR for $1300ish.

Last months deal was better Motion 262 + dynamo 500 for $899.

thank you so much...its very good to hear that..
but as you said last month deal was far better,because I am planning to buy motion 262 with Pio 1020 or 1120 also with Dynamo 500..Iphone compability is very important issue for me...
actually I have been traveling here for one month.It began with Bose.of course ,I was too impetuos and after reading many comments about Bose then I gave it back.In fact I still love Bose at least its design which is so important issue for me..anyway..
then I decided to go for Paradigm cinema 90 ct because I read plenty of good comments about it...and also there were some other brands for instance Kef...Anyway.. Actually as I mentioned above,I really care design as well as sound quality but of course sound quality comes first.Then I saw Motion 262 which has very good design to me and also has many good reviews as well as Paradigm..So I got confused again.Then I am here..

Probably if the offer was motion 262+ML dynamo 500,I would buy it...But desicion hasnt made yet..still thinking and searching..at least finally I had 2 choices..I hope so
Paradigm cinema 90 ct(including sub) + Pio 1120 = 1345 $
Martin Logan 262 motion+Dynamo 500+yamaha 567+YDS 12BL iphone dock(should be)=1350 $

I dont want to make the same mistake again.I dont want to regret after buying it..So this time ,I am trying to be attantive...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM

This might confuse you even more, but...

For just slightly more than your budget, you could now have a full Emotiva setup:
3 6.2s
2 ERD-1s
1 Ultra 10

That's a great setup for the price.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronesis View Post

This might confuse you even more, but...

For just slightly more than your budget, you could now have a full Emotiva setup:
3 6.2s
2 ERD-1s
1 Ultra 10

That's a great setup for the price.

thanks for suggestion...I'm pretty sure they are extermly perfect speakers but I am trying not to get over 1400$ including receiver.Also they are,for me, a bit big spekers..I prefer small ones..actually, the max size should be motion 262 sizes.the room size aprox 17x14 maybe little bit less..

I didnt expect that this choice would be so hard..
Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM

I checked the Amazon bundles..Its another disappoinment...Because of APO issue they dont ship Yamaha to Apo addresses..WTF is that?...anyway...Maybe this is another signal from universe for me not to buy immediately..
Does anyone know when those bundles will be updated...I am looking for the next bundles..
I hope it wont take so long...
by the way there are some good deals..for example
Klipsch quintet 5 and velodyn impact mini sub =549$
it looks very nice....
Old 03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I highly suggest Aperion's in-home trial with free return shipping. There is absolutely no hassle, and you are out $0 if you don't like the speakers. I returned a full 5.1 system to them without a problem.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Bundle ends April 30th. I assume they will start a new one then, but don't hold me too that