rear center speaker configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In building a home theater in a long room, I feel I need to augment the center speaker for those listening in the back of the room by placing a center speaker above that listening area. I would need a volume control and wonder just what output a "rear center speaker" (as designated by a Denon or Rotel receiver) would carry? Is rear center speaker the answer to my question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 AM

I believe 'rear center' or 'surround back' refers to the 6 in a 6.1 configuration, which carries an entirely different signal than the 'center'. Now running two center speakers (series or parallel, I don't know which is which) may be what you are trying to accomplish, but I think that would cause some sonic problems as well. How long is your room that you would need to do this and not just use a bigger/powerful matching center calibrated for the room?

kirk

Nothing like doom metal in the morning to get you going
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 AM

You can put the rear channel on a shelf above the listening position 24 - 36" directly in line with the center channel, or if you have two rear channels same height but directly in line with the two front channels and aim them straight forward.. I forget where I read this I believe it was THX. But I have my four surrounds at 36" above ear level, and the surround effect is incredible.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response. I've considered both BEHIND the back listener or ABOVE the back listener for speaker placement and feel "behind" may confuse the signal directionally. The room in which I hope to build is approx 17X14 feet. No, it's not very large, but, unfortunately, several friends object to what I consider an appropriate volume for movie watching. If I increased the center channel, I'd need to increase the other channels....

BTW, I'm quite familiar with "doom metal" in the morning ...if it was ever a precursor to "Quake 3 metal"
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

I would not try to put a separate center channel in the rear of the listening area. IMO you would defeat the entire surround sound listening experience.
Instead, I might install another center channel speaker above the screen and project the the sound from above at a downward angle to those in the rear. I might suggest too that you mount it vertically to minimize the vertical dispersion into the close to the screen area in an attempt to "beam" it over the heads of those listeners. Keep the other CC horizontally mounted to those in the nearer listening position. Experiment a little with the placement. This will maintain the dialogue location on the screen you would otherwise loose. You can get a speaker switching box to maintain an 8 ohm load on your receiver.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page