Advice needed on speaker purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my current setup and configuration, having a full surround setup isn't practical, so I'm looking to purchase a receiver, center, and left and right (with the idea to later add some rear speakers once I have a better living configuration).

I was looking at floor speakers (since I'll have more budget to devote since I'm not buying rears).

My budget is between 300-350 for all three speakers--unless there is some preponderance of evidence suggesting that an extra $x will provide huge benefits, then I'd like to stay within this range.

I was looking around and have found Cerwin Vega VE-8 Towers with a Cerwin Vega VE-5C Center. These sit comfortably in my budget, but I was wondering how they would perform in the setup I'm suggesting and if there were better options out there. All comments and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

edit: My couch is approximately 7-8 feet from the TV (which is positioned in a corner of the room). Ceilings are 20ft+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
People poo poo CV. I have not heard any since the late 80s. Great party speakers! Will you have a sub? If not, Polk Monitor 60s and a CS2 center would fit your budget. Check Newegg.

Sounds good!
post #3 of 22 Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio View Post
People poo poo CV. I have not heard any since the late 80s. Great party speakers! Will you have a sub? If not, Polk Monitor 60s and a CS2 center would fit your budget. Check Newegg.
Thanks for the suggestions--I didn't plan on buying a sub yet (figured that would be part of my later purchase).
post #4 of 22 Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Just giving this one bump for any more advice from the experienced among you.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Have you considered the Pioneer FS-51 floor standers and the CS-21 center? These can be bought for less than $280 complete. Check out the Pioneer thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774

Living life in HD!
Gene
post #6 of 22 Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmohr View Post

Have you considered the Pioneer FS-51 floor standers and the CS-21 center? These can be bought for less than $280 complete. Check out the Pioneer thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774

I'll go check those out. That center looks really tall though--gonna have to measure for sure when I get home.

Is Best Buy the only store to carry this line?
post #7 of 22 Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:

cerwin vega do not make a good home theater speaker because they are engineered to be loud and bass heavy, not necessarily accurate.

as far as polk speakers are concerned and if you decide not to use a sub,

monitor 60's do hold their own when it comes to bass and so does the CS2, the CS2 is one of the few center channels i have seen that is full range, depending on the room you may be able to get it down to 45hz (i am able to). for music a bass response to 50 hz will cover most all things well enough. for HT, i would recommend a minimum of 40-30hz to get good LFE. you may get decent LFE from the 60's but you could get better from the 70's. right now i'm running the 70's subless and i feel no need to add a sub for movies. i have owned quite a few decent subwoofers in my time and these perform excellently without a sub and have great dynamic range. there are also a few things that you need to consider when making a decision. the CS2 is BIG i mean very very big for a center channel. if you're planning on placing the center in front of the TV it will impose on the screen because of its height, you also can't place a TV on top of it because the back of the cabinet is sloped. if your tv is mounted on the wall....well this doesn't matter. whatever you do, do not slack on the three front channels and especially the center channel because about 80% of the sound including explosions, gunfire, cars etc etc come from the center i cannot stress this enough, large L/R towers are great but if you have a small wimpy center it will drag your entire systems performance down. if your tv is mounted on the wall i would actually recommend using a tower as a center. why? because the horizontal MTM design of most center channels causes serious nulls in the HF response for any viewer sitting off axis. the MTM design used on centers are more for aesthetic reasons then sound quality reasons. the only time an MTM design is useful is when it is vertical because it greatly increases the horizontal dispersion giving you a better stereo image and better off axis response while canceling higher frequencies vertically reducing floor and ceiling reflections which degrades imaging. another idea for a center channel (once again providing it will not be in the way of your tv) is a monitor 40, it would be around the same price as the CS2 (for two of them) and it can be set vertically, it has a much larger cabinet then the CS1 and can sit vertically without looking stupid (the CS centers cannot be set vertically due to the bevel on the rear of the cabinet, they are not very stable) and the other 40 could be used in the future in a 6.1 setup.

keep in mind this post is pertaining only to polk audio speakers because it seems it will fit your budget better, they often go for a steal on newegg. this post is also assuming you plan not to use a sub because at that budget i highly doubt you will be able to.

also, stay away from the $90 dollar PSW10 on newegg just because it looks nice and is cheap, polk makes awful subwoofers. i actually own a PSW10 and it sounds so terrible i don't even bother using it.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

The 70s just went on sale at Newegg today ($180 each) and the CS1 went on sale too ($65).

I looked at some of the specs, and they look similar between the CS1 and CS2--certainly not a 3x price difference.

I'm not sure about it blocking my TV (it does sit on a stand). I currently have a Kinect to the left of my center (Kinect is 4.8" high) and it's sitting on a book to get a better angle (probably 1-2"). Looks like I definitely need to measure.

Is the CS1 a good center for the 70s?

Also, is the Onkyo TX-SR308 workable as the receiver? I see that Newegg just put the Yamaha RX-V467 at $230 but wasn't sure of the quality.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Save yourself some time and money and jsut get the CS2 for the 70s. I had the same question not long ago and decided that the Cs2 is the way to go. The CS2 is better "matched" to the 70s than the Cs1 and from reports I ahve heard the 70s might over power the CS1. What you are looking for is the best front field you can get, personally I thought it was worth the extra money to not have to upgrade at a later date ....Take a look at the Polk thread and club polk and I think youll find the same advice
post #10 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

The CS2 pushes my budget 50% higher than I wanted to go though. Not to mention the extra inch of height. Maybe the Monitor 50s/60s and the CS1?

This is just too hard to make a decision, especially since I'm not sure which receiver will do the best job.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I would step up to the yamaha budget onkyo's receivers always seem to be breaking

Get the cs2 center it will go on sale again. The cs1 will create a weak center stage and it will be over powered by the monitor 70's big time.

Since you are on a saw budget with a small not really power full receiver I would step down to lesser in the line... Remember with the floorstanders $180 for monitor 70 only buys you one tower. The Polk monitor bookshelves are sold and priced as pairs
post #12 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsleeper02 View Post

The CS2 pushes my budget 50% higher than I wanted to go though. Not to mention the extra inch of height. Maybe the Monitor 50s/60s and the CS1?

This is just too hard to make a decision, especially since I'm not sure which receiver will do the best job.

Monitor 60s would do fine witht he Cs1 as well as the Monitor 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

I would step up to the yamaha budget onkyo's receivers always seem to be breaking

Get the cs2 center it will go on sale again. The cs1 will create a weak center stage and it will be over powered by the monitor 70's big time.

Since you are on a saw budget with a small not really power full receiver I would step down to lesser in the line... Remember with the floorstanders $180 for monitor 70 only buys you one tower. The Polk monitor bookshelves are sold and priced as pairs

I agree here, no need to get the Monitor 70s if it is goign to push the budget to far. The Polks go on sale at New Egg all the time, so if you have your heat set on them, wait until you see the ones you want on sale.

You may also want to take a look at the Pioneers that are available at Best Buy, you may be able to get the full package within your budget minus the sub....
post #13 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

How about three Monitor 60s across the front. That would be a nice rig. And I second getting the Yamaha.

Sounds good!
post #14 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:

How about three Monitor 60s across the front. That would be a nice rig. And I second getting the Yamaha.

three fronts?!

people do that?

---------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimeade View Post

three fronts?!

people do that?

Yep and in fact that would create the the best front sound stage sonically
post #16 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have thoughts on Boston Acoustics sound bars?
post #17 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have thoughts on Boston Acoustics sound bars?

Go to the soundbar forum
post #18 of 22 Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimeade View Post

three fronts?!

people do that?

thats how it should be done. an all vertical array is actually ideal. if you ever looked at the speakers used in the theater the same speakers used for the left and right are used for the center. rarely ever does a smaller horizontal center channel sound exactly the same tonally as good towers or bookshelves.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmohr View Post

I went and looked at these this afternoon. The front channel is HUGE!

Their Blu-ray player was broken or something, so all she could play was music or stuff on Direct TV. Mostly the speakers just sounded loud with some good bass. I think my ears just aren't used to a "full" sound--my tiny HTIB is gonna get blown away by anything I buy.

I priced out a system with a
* BIC America V1020 160 Watt 10" Powered Subwoofer
* BIC America DV64 6.5" Tower Speaker (2)
* BIC America DV52CLRB Center Channel Speaker

for $326 shipped...how do you think this compares to the Pioneer setup from Best Buy? Worth going with the BIC America DV-62CLRS instead?
post #20 of 22 Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:

I went and looked at these this afternoon. The front channel is HUGE!

Their Blu-ray player was broken or something, so all she could play was music or stuff on Direct TV. Mostly the speakers just sounded loud with some good bass. I think my ears just aren't used to a "full" sound--my tiny HTIB is gonna get blown away by anything I buy.

I priced out a system with a
* BIC America V1020 160 Watt 10" Powered Subwoofer
* BIC America DV64 6.5" Tower Speaker (2)
* BIC America DV52CLRB Center Channel Speaker

for $326 shipped...how do you think this compares to the Pioneer setup from Best Buy? Worth going with the BIC America DV-62CLRS instead?

i don't think either of them will match up to polk.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post

i don't think either of them will match up to polk.

if comparing them to m50's, they do. I replaced my polk m50's with dv-64's and am much happier. bass extension is lower, highs were clearer.

Also, are referring to the modell's deal on those bic speakers? Its a crazy deal, make sure to pick up a pair of dv-62si's while you are at it for about $70. 5.1 will make you much happier than 3.1....plus you can timber match your speakers while you can get in on the deal. I think that was one of the reasons I wasn't happy with my last system, none of the speakers matched.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrindone View Post

if comparing them to m50's, they do. I replaced my polk m50's with dv-64's and am much happier. bass extension is lower, highs were clearer.

Also, are referring to the modell's deal on those bic speakers? Its a crazy deal, make sure to pick up a pair of dv-62si's while you are at it for about $70. 5.1 will make you much happier than 3.1....plus you can timber match your speakers while you can get in on the deal. I think that was one of the reasons I wasn't happy with my last system, none of the speakers matched.

I've read a lot about people needing to get their BICs modded, which kinda turned me off on the deal. I was leaning toward picking the Pioneers up from Best Buy on the 16th (next time a coupon comes up) and seeing what kind of deal they try to throw in on the surrounds.

Are the BICs worth it without being modded? With the discounts, I was basically getting a free sub, which would have been nice.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page