Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
SRO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I'm looking into finally getting a home theater setup. I started researching by just slogging through the entire forum, but I got a bit overwhelmed. So, I started this and I'm looking at ideas of where to start researching/demoing in hopes you can help get me a bit more focused. I'm looking at around $2500 for a 5.1 system AND receiver. This would be for a room about 15x18x9 and I'm guessing it would be about a 70/30 between listening to music/watching movies. I can probably push the budget a bit higher if you can think of something particularly awesome I should look at. If there's any additional information that I could provide that would be helpful in forming your recommendation, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you could go with a pair of Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves, a Sierra-1 center, and a pair of their surrounds. For the subwoofer a Hsu Research VTF-2 or VTF-3 would rock a room that size. If you wanted to make it really special you could go with the NrT version of the Sierra-1s or do the upgrade later yourself down the road.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
SRO

Hmm, I'll have to look into that, but it might be easier for me to get floor standing units since I really don't have much furniture with which I could set the speakers. Any ideas for a pairing receiver?

I'll definitely have to lean towards the VTF-2 because I live in a townhome and I don't want to completely piss off the neighbors
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRO View Post

Hmm, I'll have to look into that, but it might be easier for me to get floor standing units since I really don't have much furniture with which I could set the speakers. Any ideas for a pairing receiver?

It's been a while since I've shopped $1000-1200pr towers so I'll leave that to others. However unless you need a ton of volume you'll generally get a lot more sound quality bang for the buck with bookshelves and nice looking stands are only $100/pr on Amazon. Of course a lot depends on what you listen to and what you like. Speakers are the one part of a system that is subjective - very subjective, and subject to personal taste.

Quote:

I'll definitely have to lean towards the VTF-2 because I live in a townhome and I don't want to completely piss off the neighbors

Been there done that. In a townhome I'd put the subwoofer on an isolation pad. If memory serves an Auralex Gramma should be about the right size for a VTF-2 and be careful not to get the rear bass port near a shared wall.

An Onkyo TX-NR708 will power the Ascends fine, has all of the neat features that you're likely to care about, and has preouts should you ever want a to add an amp in the future. I have last years 707 driving Sierra-1s in my 12x18 bedroom and it's been a good little receiver. Just give it a bit of space for air circulation. For cables and interconnects I suggest saving a fortune by shopping Monoprice.com.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
SRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

It's been a while since I've shopped $1000-1200pr towers so I'll leave that to others. However unless you need a ton of volume you'll generally get a lot more sound quality bang for the buck with bookshelves and nice looking stands are only $100/pr on Amazon. Of course a lot depends on what you listen to and what you like. Speakers are the one part of a system that is subjective - very subjective, and subject to personal taste.

Yeah, I know there's going to be a lot of subjective comparisons to be done. I was just overwhelmed by choices and needed some help to narrow it down to a couple of options to audition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

Been there done that. In a townhome I'd put the subwoofer on an isolation pad. If memory serves an Auralex Gramma should be about the right size for a VTF-2 and be careful not to get the rear bass port near a shared wall.

An Onkyo TX-NR708 will power the Ascends fine, has all of the neat features that you're likely to care about, and has preouts should you ever want a to add an amp in the future. I have last years 707 driving Sierra-1s in my 12x18 bedroom and it's been a good little receiver. Just give it a bit of space for air circulation. For cables and interconnects I suggest saving a fortune by shopping Monoprice.com.

Thanks, I'll look into these options
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Liked: 11
The Denon AVR-1911 and 1611 can usually be found for really nice prices. Also, I run a Harman Kardon AVR-1600 that I bought for $250 from the Harman Kardon ebay store. It's refurbed but carries the same warranty as a new unit for less than half the price so I would look there at the AVR-1600 and 2600. Overall though, if I did it again I probably would have gone with one of the Denon's or the Onkyo mentioned previously because of more EQ options, but I'm not disappointed in my current receiver.

I've got some stuff...but I need more stuff.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Look at this KEF package - and get the HSU subwoofer.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Package/1.html
The Yamaha 667 is a good receiver and has pre-outs or,
go back to AC4L and look at the refurbish rreceivers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
SRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Look at this KEF package - and get the HSU subwoofer.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Package/1.html
The Yamaha 667 is a good receiver and has pre-outs or,
go back to AC4L and look at the refurbish rreceivers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html
Wow, $1200 off? Is there something wrong with these speakers or is that just an awesome sale price?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM

Last week the price was $1,000,001,000!!!! What savings!!!

It is a good deal though...you can get he bookshelves for $200 and the towers for $800 anywhere, so basically you are getting the $300 center for free.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRO View Post

Wow, $1200 off? Is there something wrong with these speakers or is that just an awesome sale price?

That version is being replaced - they are good.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page