post #91 of 167 Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I have the CHT speakers in my HT, play the COD games frequently (MW3 at the moment mostly), and I'm a complete sound ummmm floozy - works great, no problem at all. Pretty sure most of the spectrum of footsteps is a lot higher than 80 Hz, maybe around 500 Hz or so.

I wasn't sure what kind of footsteps he was talking about. Regular footfalls or big stomping elephant steps.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 167 Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I wasn't sure what kind of footsteps he was talking about. Regular footfalls or big stomping elephant steps.

After you get stabbed in the back too many times you learn to listen for those foot steps from behind. Watch your six
post #93 of 167 Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myers View Post

Do the SHO-10's work as well for gaming as HT? In particular any reviews while playing MW3 or BF3. I need to hear those foot steps

As has been mentioned, subs are pretty much mandatory for any high output 2 way speaker. Generally speaking, compression drivers tend to bring out a lot of detail, particularly at high volumes and the SHO's are no exception. Footsteps....no problem. Also, there is nothing like the sound of machine guns at 110 DB at the LP - CLEAN . Not many speakers can pull that off at a typical listening distance of 10 to 15 feet, but the CHT's are speakers that can. HT and gaming are where these speakers have few, if any, peers at their price point. (excluding DIY)

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #94 of 167 Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

As has been mentioned, subs are pretty much mandatory for any high output 2 way speaker. Generally speaking, compression drivers tend to bring out a lot of detail, particularly at high volumes. Footsteps....no problem. Also, there is nothing like the sound of machine guns at 110 DB at the LP - CLEAN . Not many speakers can pull that off at a typical listening distance of 10 to 15 feet, but the CHT's are speakers that can. HT and gaming are where these speakers have few, if any peers, at their price point.

I think you just cost me three grand lol
post #95 of 167 Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myers View Post

I think you just cost me three grand lol

Lol. But look at all the gaming goodness you will gain! Besides, it may be 3 grand, but its a smart 3 grand. As I said, I don't know all the speakers out there, but I can say with confidence there's likely no commercially available speakers that will be significantly better for HT and gaming than the CHT's at their price point.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #96 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I keep hearing good reviews about these speakers. I am in the market for a new LCR setup and think i am going to bite the bullet and go with a set of SHO-10's
post #97 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Lol. But look at all the gaming goodness you will gain! Besides, it may be 3 grand, but its a smart 3 grand. As I said, I don't know all the speakers out there, but I can say with confidence there's likely no commercially available speakers that will be significantly better for HT and gaming than the CHT's at their price point.

I agree. The only place to come close is the used market and finding great deals.
post #98 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Pssh BF3 all the way

+1, what platform do you play on?

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my modest theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
What is the difference between the PRO_10 and the SHO_10, other than $50?
post #100 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Both use the same Compression driver for a tweeter.

The PRO-10 uses a Selenium driver for a woofer while the SHO-10 uses an Eminence driver.

The Selenium driver has about a 3-4 dB bump in the 100-200 Hz range, so while the over +/- 3 dB is comparable, they are actually different response curves.

The PRO-10 has a slightly warmer sound vs. the SHO-10's more neutral sound.

When listening, the difference is VERY subtle.

The SHO-10 woofer also has about 3 dB more max output than the PRO-10, although both can deliver more SPL than is advisable in a typical room.

Jack

post #101 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

Both use the same Compression driver for a tweeter.

The PRO-10 uses a Selenium driver for a woofer while the SHO-10 uses an Eminence driver.

The Selenium driver has about a 3-4 dB bump in the 100-200 Hz range, so while the over +/- 3 dB is comparable, they are actually different response curves.

The PRO-10 has a slightly warmer sound vs. the SHO-10's more neutral sound.

When listening, the difference is VERY subtle.

The SHO-10 woofer also has about 3 dB more max output than the PRO-10, although both can deliver more SPL than is advisable in a typical room.

Very good explanation ! Now I'm curious to why Brad decided to pick the sho(or pro) for the center?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #102 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Very good explanation ! Now I'm curious to why Brad decided to pick the sho(or pro) for the center?

I was set to buy 7x PRO-10s (returns, nicely discounted) - Craig recommended that I go with the SHO-10 for the center channel - since I didn't have the option to demo them locally, I went with the owner's recommendation.

Quote:

When are you free Brad?

Let me know (PM) when you want to come out, and we can synch our schedules.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #103 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very good explanation !

I'd love to take credit for it, but I copied it from one of Craig's posts. So, it's from the horse's mouth.

Jack

post #104 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Could one consider the pro's and the sho's timbre matched?
post #105 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Taking the term "timbre matched" literally, since the PRO has that slight boost in the 100-200 Hz range, the answer to your question is no. However, as stated, the difference is so subtle that, in real world usage, most folks will rarely notice any difference when using a SHO as a center and PROs in any other location.

Using a SHO as a center and PROs as R & L mains (and other locations) has two benefits. You can save a little money, and you get SHO's accuracy for movie dialog while getting the PROs slightly warmer tone for music which many people prefer. I would prefer the accuracy of the SHOs all around, but many feel differently. As usual, there is no hard and fast "right" and "wrong." it all comes down to personal preference

Jack

post #106 of 167 Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
When running pink noise across them, I can hear a slight difference - when panning across during music or surround music, I can't (example - opening Paramount logo swirl on Transformers 3).

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #107 of 167 Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 507
So, yesterday I finally got around to setting up and integrating into my system the 2012 SHO-10s I acquired this past Fall. The main reason for the delay: Waiting for a pair of used, 19" stands in good condition to come up for sale locally.

I ran a full Audyssey MultEQ calibration (all six points), adjusted all the levels using my trusty SPL meter, and then bumped the sub's gain by 3dB.

I noticed that Audyssey set the crossover at a relatively-high 120Hz. I wasn't surprised by this, though: I'd been told that these speakers need to be broken in. (A buddy of mine who has well-broken-in SHO-10s as his front three says that Audyssey sets the crossover for his speakers at 90Hz.)

I ran a bit of music (Holly Cole, AC/DC, Supertramp), a couple of clips from WOTW and a couple of songs off the Dave Matthews @ Radio City concert BD. And earlier this evening, I played some Sabbath and some Maiden. (I used the "Audyssey" setting for the movie and concert stuff, and "Audyssey Flat" for the two-channel music.)

I found that the SHOs blended very well with the subs and even with the Paradigm CC-690 center. That surprised me a bit, but I guess Audyssey is to thank for making sure everything sounds good* and plays nicely together.

(*I switched Audyssey off at one point, just to see what difference that would make and, well, the SHOs sounded...not very good. Switched Audyssey back to "Flat" and they sounded great again! So, IMO, these speakers do need some sort of EQ-ing to sound their best.)

I would describe the SHOs as neutral-sounding and at times maybe even "dry"-sounding (now there's a term I never thought I'd use! ). They are very clear and precise, and they throw a HUGE soundstage. And, unlike a lot of speakers I've listened to, they actually seem to sound better as the volume increases. Cool. (I'd heard my buddy's SHOs at his place, and I was impressed with how they sounded in his set-up. It was nice to hear that they worked well in mine, too.)

IMO, these speakers represent a really good value as far as HT monitors go. They look good (link to pics on Photobucket), they sound great and they can play very loud very effortlessly.

post #108 of 167 Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Really nice speaker stands. eljay, and they look great with the SHOs. If you don't mind, would you tell us what they are they and where you got them?

Jack

post #109 of 167 Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to tell you, but I bought them used off a guy here in town and there's nothing on them to identify a make or model. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any current stands with a style to match, so I'm guessing these are older, out-of-production models.

FWIW, they're 18" tall + 1" spikes = 19". Bottom plate is 10-1/2" x 12" and top plate (which is metal) is 6" x 6". (I think 8" (w) x 6" (d) would be a more appropriate size for the top plate.)

post #110 of 167 Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good, Eljay. Try playing with the toe in to dial in the sound a bit. Makes a big difference in my room.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #111 of 167 Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

You won't hear big low bass stomping footsteps. Your sub is the speaker that reproduces that. The PRO/SHO's cross over at 80 Hz.

Quote:

That made me think of Godzilla "sneaking up" on Mothra

Regards,
Charlie

post #112 of 167 Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I would like to tell you, but since I bought them used off a guy here in town, I actually have no idea what make or model they are. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any current stands with a style to match, so I'm guessing these are older, out-of-production models.

DRAT! Thanks anyway, eljay.

Jack

post #113 of 167 Old 01-24-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Try playing with the toe in to dial in the sound a bit. Makes a big difference in my room.

They're currently toed-in quite a bit - quite a bit more than I normally toe-in my Paradigms, actually - so my plan this coming weekend is to reduce the amount of toe-in and see how / if that changes the sound.

Quote:

No problem.

post #114 of 167 Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

They look like they could possibly be home-made? In a good way!
post #115 of 167 Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

They look like they could possibly be home-made? In a good way!

They do look like they could be home-made, but they're not. They're definitely older retail stands. Years ago, my Paradigm 7se speakers used to sit on very similar-looking (although slightly shorter), three-"column" stands.
LL

post #116 of 167 Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am thinking of buying a set of these for my HT. I am running a Danley DTS-10 for a sub. Is anyone here running the Chase's with a Danley? If so what do you think?
post #117 of 167 Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

I am thinking of buying a set of these for my HT. I am running a Danley DTS-10 for a sub. Is anyone here running the Chase's with a Danley? If so what do you think?

They work great together.
post #118 of 167 Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

(*I switched Audyssey off at one point, just to see what difference that would make and, well, the SHOs sounded...not very good. Switched Audyssey back to "Flat" and they sounded great again! So, IMO, these speakers do need some sort of EQ-ing to sound their best.)

To be fair, this doesn't mean they need to be EQ'd, necessarily, but for sure those speakers in your room needed to be EQ'd.

The only way to be sure would be to measure them outside or even anechoically and compare the frequency response to what you got inside. The placement of the speakers, combined with the sub(s), and their combined modal response where you're measuring, will require different EQ than the next room's.

And, I'm jealous.
post #119 of 167 Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

They work great together.

Thanks, I talked to Craig today at Chase and I ended up ordering 2 Pro10's for my LR and 1 SHO10 for my center. I like the fact that I get a sixty day in home trial also.
post #120 of 167 Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

To be fair, this doesn't mean they need to be EQ'd, necessarily, but for sure those speakers in your room needed to be EQ'd.

The only way to be sure would be to measure them outside or even anechoically and compare the frequency response to what you got inside. The placement of the speakers, combined with the sub(s), and their combined modal response where you're measuring, will require different EQ than the next room's.

And, I'm jealous.

Most speakers really don't need to be EQed, but almost every room needs to be EQed.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page