Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

To be fair, this doesn't mean they need to be EQ'd, necessarily, but for sure those speakers in your room needed to be EQ'd.

You're right, and I should have been more specific and said "So, IMO, these speakers do need some sort of EQ-ing to sound their best in my HT space."

But it's amazing how differently the SHOs react to my room than do my Paradigm Studio 60s. The S60s, with Audyssey switched off, sound fine. The SHOs, to put it politely, don't.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. Whether or not they sound good un-EQ'd in my room or someone else's room isn't as important as the fact that, EQ's, they definitely sound very good...and perform very well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello CHT owners. what speaker stands are you guys using for the SHO-10's? Also, does it make a difference whether the center channel SHO-10 is placed vertically or horizontally?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Hello CHT owners. what speaker stands are you guys using for the SHO-10's?

DIY designed for placing my speakers behind an AT screen at ear height...

Quote:

Also, does it make a difference whether the center channel SHO-10 is placed vertically or horizontally?

Just rotate the horn 90 degrees for horizontal placement...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I had my SHO-10s sitting on 19" tall wood stands. The metal top plate was 6" x 6", but ideally (IMO) it should have been no smaller than 8" (w) x 6" (d).
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Just rotate the horn 90 degrees for horizontal placement...

I wonder if this is required anymore now that the waveguide pattern is 90x90 on the newer models? The waveguide looks different in the vertical and horizontal plane though, so probably good to do anyway.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM

thanks for the info guys. is there any kind of noticeable difference placing the center vertically as opposed to horizontally?

Ejay, I have yet to unbox these puppies. I have to purchase one more before I get to play. lol. Thanks again man.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I wonder if this is required anymore now that the waveguide pattern is 90x90 on the newer models? The waveguide looks different in the vertical and horizontal plane though, so probably good to do anyway.

I have the newer version as a center horizontally and I did not rotate mine. Both the wife and I are sitting on either side 3-4 feet off axis and it sounds great. Best center I've ever had...FYI
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:

thanks for the info guys. is there any kind of noticeable difference placing the center vertically as opposed to horizontally?

Ejay, I have yet to unbox these puppies. I have to purchase one more before I get to play. lol. Thanks again man.

I have tried both ways and could not hear a difference...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eljay, I have yet to unbox these puppies. I have to purchase one more before I get to play. lol. Thanks again man.

Glad to do business with you! Now hurry up and get those speakers - and the rest of your HT - up and running so I can REALLY be jealous...

Kidding aside, I'm curious to read your thoughts on the speakers once you do finally get to give them a good (and broken-in) listen.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I wonder if this is required anymore now that the waveguide pattern is 90x90 on the newer models?

Good point Brad....I would guess not. I have the 60x90 waveguide and would rotate it.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Wonder if anyone can give some suggestions,

I will probably get (3) Sho-s up front for all 3 LCRs but I am a little confused on what surrounds.

I cant spend another 1200 bucks on 7.2 surrounds so I need something a little more cost effective. Maybe $600 bucks for (4)??

Any Klipsch/JBL or any other maker that would integrate?

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I eventually went for 7x CHT speakers - but before I did, I was looking at Hsu bookshelves - http://www.hsuresearch.com/speakers.html - they run about $150 each, so right at your budget. They also have an in-wall of similar design.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

I will probably get (3) Sho-s up front for all 3 LCRs but I am a little confused on what surrounds.
I cant spend another 1200 bucks on 7.2 surrounds so I need something a little more cost effective. Maybe $600 bucks for (4)??

I'm in the same situation. I'm considering bi/dipole for surround. I'm interested to hear what people say.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM

I purchased the Polk Fxi A6's to pair with my 3 SHO's. They can be configured either bipole or dipole. I have yet to unbox them so I cannot comment on performance however, they got nothing but good reviews on the boards. Check out the "bipole/dipole" sticky thread in the speaker section if you get a chance. I should be unboxing everything by the end of the month and will definitely give my feedback.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys. This might be the wrong place to ask or maybe I should just post a new thread but I have talked to Craig at CHT, the HSU people and the people that sell Bic Acoustech. It seems that all three of these speakers are similar. I really want to pull the trigger on the CHT SHO's but my only concern is placement of the center channel speaker. Even setting it horizontally, it still is pretty big, that will be okay for now but if I get a bigger TV later on it might ebnd up being a concern. I won't have room in my entertainment stand for the SHO. Are the HSU or Bic Acoustechs on par with the CHT stuff or is the CHT stuff that much better?

I'm your Huckleberry
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

I purchased the Polk Fxi A6's to pair with my 3 SHO's.

I have the A6 speakers along with 3 PRO 10 speakers and the Polk speakers are great for surround duty...smile.gif
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I have the A6 speakers along with 3 PRO 10 speakers and the Polk speakers are great for surround duty...smile.gif

definitely reassuring! did yours come with a wall mounting kit? i ordered but the sales rep didn't know if they were included or not and i haven't opened the box yet (i refuse to until i'm ready to use them, mental thing). tongue.gif
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

Hey guys. This might be the wrong place to ask or maybe I should just post a new thread but I have talked to Craig at CHT, the HSU people and the people that sell Bic Acoustech. It seems that all three of these speakers are similar. I really want to pull the trigger on the CHT SHO's but my only concern is placement of the center channel speaker. Even setting it horizontally, it still is pretty big, that will be okay for now but if I get a bigger TV later on it might ebnd up being a concern. I won't have room in my entertainment stand for the SHO. Are the HSU or Bic Acoustechs on par with the CHT stuff or is the CHT stuff that much better?

Hey Jeff I ended up getting a TV riser for my entertainment stand. Sat the TV on that, and the Sho-10 in front of it, if I have time I'll snap a picture of it and post but that worked out well for me.

I used this one, because my stand had legs that matched, wored out well for me, have a 59 inch plasma sitting on it.
http://www.amazon.com/Convenience-Concepts-Designs-2-Go-2-Tier-Swivel/dp/B000W9TVJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339606414&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+riser
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

definitely reassuring! did yours come with a wall mounting kit?

Hi azula, Yes, my A6 speakers came with a simple mount for mounting on your wall...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM

i was wondering what is the thinking on surround speakers. monopole , or dipole/bipole ? i have a 7.1 system. i have dipole/bipole sides and monopole rear speakers . i want to upgrade the rear speakers . the side speakers could go to the rear ,to be the 7.1 ones, and the side 5.1 ones, should they be monopole or dipole/bipole ? i was thinking of kef Q300c for side 5.1. i am using pioneer elite sc37.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

I would say go with 5 for now and add 2 more when you can. I have 5 SHO-10's and it is Outstanding. Talk to Craig, they are coming out with a smaller speaker that might work also.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylsgr8 View Post

i was wondering what is the thinking on surround speakers. monopole , or dipole/bipole ? i have a 7.1 system. i have dipole/bipole sides and monopole rear speakers . i want to upgrade the rear speakers . the side speakers could go to the rear ,to be the 7.1 ones, and the side 5.1 ones, should they be monopole or dipole/bipole ? i was thinking of kef Q300c for side 5.1. i am using pioneer elite sc37.

I am not an expert by any means, but absolutely everything I have researched told me to do everything you can to have all your speakers match, that is why I bought the same exact rears, fronts, and center.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery44 View Post

Hey Jeff I ended up getting a TV riser for my entertainment stand. Sat the TV on that, and the Sho-10 in front of it, if I have time I'll snap a picture of it and post but that worked out well for me.
I used this one, because my stand had legs that matched, wored out well for me, have a 59 inch plasma sitting on it.
http://www.amazon.com/Convenience-Concepts-Designs-2-Go-2-Tier-Swivel/dp/B000W9TVJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339606414&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+riser

Are you able to post a pic of your setup by chance? I had the same question about the size of the SHO-10 as a center, and your solution seems like it might work.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post

I am not an expert by any means, but absolutely everything I have researched told me to do everything you can to have all your speakers match, that is why I bought the same exact rears, fronts, and center.

My understanding is that it's imperative for the front, but less so for the rears. The sho-10's are probably too big for rears in my room so I was thinking of adding the Mirage OMD-5's. People in the surround thread seem to love them.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

My understanding is that it's imperative for the front, but less so for the rears. The sho-10's are probably too big for rears in my room so I was thinking of adding the Mirage OMD-5's. People in the surround thread seem to love them.

I guess that would make sense, the sound coming out of them is minimal compared to the other speakers. With that said if I end up going with a 7.2 I am going to add 2 more SHO-10's. Maybe next year, we will see.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

...CHT, the HSU people and the people that sell Bic Acoustech. It seems that all three of these speakers are similar. I really want to pull the trigger on the CHT SHO's... Are the HSU or Bic Acoustechs on par with the CHT stuff or is the CHT stuff that much better?

The Bic's need to show testing of how they achieve mid bass sensitivity, IMO. The Hsu, while respected, its in a whole different (lower) class of sensitivity. You should find out why you would care able that based in your goals and amps.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just out of curosity, does anyone have a sho/pro-10 setup with front wides or heights? I'm considering a 9.1 or 11.1 setup and would like to hear from CHT owners who have tried it.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone mounted the PRO or SHOs on the wall? I decided to go CHT all round but need to wall mount the surrounds.

I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Steel-Large-Bookshelf-Speaker-Side-Clamping-Wall-Mount-Brackets-Black-/310405008416?pt=US_Speaker_Mounts_Stands&hash=item4845948c20

But they are 11 inches wide and the speakers are 11.5 in wide.

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is a thread over at the Chase Home Theater forum entitled "Success wall mounting SHO-10." If you'll stop by there and do a search for it, it might prove helpful.

Jack

Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Did you ever pair your SHOs with the Mirage OMD-5?

I just ordered 3 PRO-10s and I currently have a pair of OMD-5s. I nearly pulled the trigger several times on the rest of a Mirage OMD system, but looks like the I missed the window at Vanns. Anyway, I plan to use the PROs as my front stage and put the Mirage in the rear.

People who have a combination of PRO and SHO speakers, should I buy a Eminence Delta driver to replace the PRO woofer in my center channel? Why do people recommend using a SHO as a center? (CHT was sold out of SHO-10s)