Upgrading...Mirage Nanosat 5.1 vs BIC America setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, first post so I'm sorry if it's newbish.
I'm on the top floor of a condo and my living room area is open to the kitchen and a small den area. The main entertainment area is about 12 x 11 but if you consider the open area it's about 2-3x that size. Plan on using the system mainly for movies and a little for music.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR508
Sub: BIC America V1020

Option 1 - I've already ordered a pair of the BIC America DV62si ($80) and plan to purchase a BIC DV62CLR-S center($100). Gonna use a cheap pair of rears.
There's less love for BIC but I purchased them based on the positive reviews and the ridiculously cheap price.

Option 2 - get Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system for $350 and use my BIC sub instead of the supplied Mirage sub. Mirage gets a lot of love on these forums but I'm asking you to post with an open mind.

Which option would you go with & why? I'm open to both options and I'm not sure if the quality of the Nanosats (2.75" titanium deposit polypropylene cone woofer and a 0.75" pure titanium hybrid tweeter) will be better than the brute physical force (6.5" poly/graphite woofers, 0.75" poly soft dome tweeter) of the larger BIC speakers. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
The main reasons by far that people go for the Nanosats are size and looks. And once in a while someone realizes the omnipolar sound would help in their room.

If it's sound quality you're after, especially in a larger space, then as you say the laws of physics are on the side of the Bics.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. guess ill stick with BIC
post #4 of 4 Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM

I think your better off with the BIC setup. It's your money, so why would you care how much love they receive. You already bought a pair of DV62si bookshelf speakers. Give them a good work out to break them in. You will quickly realize that you choose wisely. People will recommend what they are familiar with, so I'm not surprised that BIC is not as popular as some of the other brands. Particularly the ones that can be auditioned in retail stores. I do think the reviews are quite accurate on speaker perfomance. Who would hate a speaker but give it a 5 star review? Buying speakers is much like finding a girlfriend. It's personal and not something that someone can do for you. I auditioned many speakers and found the Def Techs to be one of my favorites, but I bought the BICs.
Biggz
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page