Speaker Buying, not all at once? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was curious I am in the process of buying speakers, and in doing this I'm buying the speakers all at separate times all with in the next couple of months. This kinda feels odd to me I was curious if this is normal buying for speakers.

I decided on using Polk Audio for my mains and either an epik or hsu for my sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I was curious I am in the process of buying speakers, and in doing this I'm buying the speakers all at separate times all with in the next couple of months. This kinda feels odd to me I was curious if this is normal buying for speakers.

Not at all. Not everyone has disposable income where they can buy everything at once. My situation was somewhat different but I started out with my mains, then center, then rears (sides.) Nothing odd about it.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

@smudge981 thanks, i feel better about it now. I'm just not use to not getting everything at once. I did start off with getting the center first then the mains or rears next. Thank you.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Agreed, many people do it this way, including myself.

I just bought my Infinity P363 Towers for my mains. If I like them, I'm going to get 2x more P363's + PC351 Center to finish the 5.0 Setup.

After I move to a bigger place, I'm going to snag a couple Epik Legends to finish up the System.

Not only does this give you time to gauge your preference between the 5.1 and 2.1, but it's also safer if you can't hear the speakers before you buy, which is my situation.

I would definitely try to give the Polk's a listen if you can. They were a bit too "bright" for my taste. I owned 2x Monitor 70's, 2x Monitor 40's, and a CS2 Center. Best Buy carries the TSi Series which is their replacement so I'm sure you can at least get a listen at them. They're not IDENTICAL but they're extremely close.

On the Sub, it really depends on your budget, imo. For a lower-priced Sub, I would go with Epik, Elemental Designs, or Emotiva. HSU, SVS, Rythmik, etc. are all great companies but you have to pay a premium to get their better subs where as Epik, eD, and Emotiva have great selections in the budget range.

Good Luck and Hope this Helps!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM

I am in the process right now of buying my speakers seperatly. I started out with front L/R speakers and sub (got a free sub with the purchase from Polk). My center speaker was shipped yesterday so now all I have left is the rear surrounds. It is a little easier on my wallet to stretch the purchases out. Eventually I will be looking for a replacement sub because the free one I got from Polk is not impressive.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

When on a tight budget I like to recommend buying the best 2.1 or 3.1 speaker system that you afford and adding the other bits later. That allows you to step up to a bit higher grade speaker. The exception is when someone is buying discontinued speakers and may have a hard time finding matched bits later.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
That's where the box store gets you. It's geared to the person who has to have everything now. If you're methodical, patient, and do your homework, you'll end up with the system of your choosing AND at a fairly decent price.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"