Best Bookshelf Pair for $800 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since you're going to be using a sub anyway, take a look at Electro-Voice ZX1's. I picked a pair($500) for use as surrounds and I tried them out as mains just out of curiosity and they sounded pretty good. Much better than the $500 price tag would have you believe. I realize they're pro audio speakers but don't let that scare you away. If anything it means they have the durability you're looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue64 View Post

The Sierra's got a lot of votes and I must say the reviews look impressive. Let's say I go with them. Would the Outlaw M8 sub be a good match?

I had a LFM-1 Plus with the Sierra-1s but then replaced it with a Rythmik F12SE. The F12SE is a sealed sub and sounds much better with music than the LFM-1. Sealed subs are known to be better with music than ported subs. I would suggest waiting on buying a sub till your budget allows for a better sub.

You could take a look at subs from Rythmik or Epik although I'm sure there are other great choices as well. I have not heard any Epik subs but they seem to get very good owner reviews here on AVS. The Epic Legend is a sealed sub that looks to be fairly small in size and at a very good price.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #33 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The topend of the 340s and 170s are similar...although I think the 340's may still have a bit more treble..I have not compared the two in a while. The 340's definitely have more bass and mid-bass information giving them more body....due to the size of the cabinet and two-woofers.

gotcha... i should have thought of that part...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #34 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill mac View Post

sealed subs are known to be better with music than ported subs. I would suggest waiting on buying a sub till your budget allows for a better sub.

Bill

+1
For budget friendly - maybe Emotiva, and the Epik prices are looking good

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #35 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

The Sierra's got a lot of votes and I must say the reviews look impressive. Let's say I go with them. Would the Outlaw M8 sub be a good match?

The subwoofer needs to be matched to the size of the room. I'd contact Hsu and and Rythmik and have them size a subwoofer to the room. If you're going 100% sealed can be a really nice way to go but if you're going to use them with movies at all I prefer vented because they hit harder down low.
post #36 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Also take a look at SVS subs. I have Sierras in a small 2.1 music room with an SVS SB12-NSD and it sounds excellent.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #37 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently went through a similar search. I ended up with Paradigm Studio 10's, but was also interested in PSB Imagine B's, Era D5's, and even Wharfedale Evo2-8's.

If you look at pictures of each you'll see something in common -- rounded cabinets. I really wanted something other than a "box", which is why I didn't consider Sierras or other highly-regarded speakers in this price range.

I picked the Paradigms for a couple reasons, first and foremost being they were the only ones I could actually audition! Secondly, I knew I could grow my system with Paradigm -- in other words, I'll always be able to find a matching center and another set of 10's for surrounds sometime down the road (whereas with the smaller brands, you can't be so sure). Third, they simply sound amazing and finally, they're a flat-out gorgeous speaker...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #38 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

OK - it's been several months since the last 'best bookshelf for $xxx" thread and I did read some of the more recent posts. Hope some of you will help me out. I am putting together a new 2.1 system in my basement as follows: Outlaw Audio RR2150 Receiver, sub, and pair of bookshelf speakers. I need some suggestions on the bookshelf speakers. Prefer to put my money towards sound versus asthetics so don't care about the cabinets - flat black is fine. My first priority is accurate music reproduction but I will also want them to play loud occassionaly. Lastly this will be a family system so I want something durable in case my kids really crank it(which they will do).

"Cranking" will be an issue with about any speaker. Unless you consider PA speakers. Here is a good deal on a pair of Revel M22 speakers.
post #39 of 56 Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM

I really like the B&W 685's in your price range.
post #40 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

I have a pair of B&W 601's circa 2000. Can anyone compare the differences I can expect to hear between these and a new Sierra pair?
post #41 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

I have a pair of B&W 601's circa 2000. Can anyone compare the differences I can expect to hear between these and a new Sierra pair?

No better way than to just dive in and order the Sierras. Then you can do your own side by side comparison in your room. Everyones comparisons, opinions and listening tastes will be different.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #42 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 08:14 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I had a pair of B&W 602's from about the same time. Gold colored tweeters w/lens, yellow woven Kevlar woofers, front ported. The sound was typical, in your face British. Those metal domes caused ear fatigue.

I bought a pair of original CBM-170's to compare. The 602's were sold.

The 170's imaged better, and were not harsh on my ears. More midrange detail came through. They could not play as loud, but with a sub they could play louder than I needed.

The Sierra-1 replaced the 170's. They are in a different league. They have greater resolving ability, letting minute details through. The bass digs very deep and is detailed. The highs are detailed but never harsh. The bamboo cabinet is rock solid. Imaging is excellent.

The NrT upgrade, including the Neo Ring tweeter and new crossover, ups the ante. The midrange is brought forward a bit with even greater body & detail. The highs have greater ""air" and extend way up. The tweeter does not compress and sounds more dynamic, with more energy. It surprises me sometimes how much treble punch is there, even at lower volumes.

Basically, you are moving out of the budget bookshelf speaker category going from the 601's to Sierra's.
post #43 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

OK - Sierra's it is - ordered today. I guess I should head over to the sub forum for some advice on the sub. Thanks all for a great discussion.
post #44 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 104
Quote:
OK - Sierra's it is - ordered today. I guess I should head over to the sub forum for some advice on the sub. Thanks all for a great discussion.
Nice, congratulations. FYI-Ascend is partnered with Rythmik and you get a discount if ordering a sub with the Sierras. Just throwing it out there...

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #45 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I'll Throw a wildcard in and recommend the Jamo C803 Bookshelfs. They are warm yet very detailed and can be cranked without EVER sounding fatiguing. They perform like mini tower speakers yet have great imaging like proper bookshelfs should. They are also very beautiful and can be had for a bit under $800.

http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/c-803-description/

Audioholics review:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...speaker-review
post #46 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I'll Throw a wildcard in and recommend the Jamo C803 Bookshelfs. They are warm yet very detailed and can be cranked without EVER sounding fatiguing. They perform like mini tower speakers yet have great imaging like proper bookshelfs should. They are also very beautiful and can be had for a bit under $800.

http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/c-803-description/

Audioholics review:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...speaker-review

Nice looking speaker, they have been selling on Audigon (new) for $450, shipping included, a couple of pairs sold this week. Here is an active listing.
post #47 of 56 Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Nice looking speaker, they have been selling on Audigon (new) for $450, shipping included, a couple of pairs sold this week. Here is an active listing.

At that price they are an absolute steal. I paid about $750 far a pair of C803's and the C80cen center channel. I will have to reference that link in the future. I must say that price truly undercuts the quality of that speaker

Nice Find
post #48 of 56 Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At that price they are an absolute steal. I paid about $750 far a pair of C803's and the C80cen center channel. I will have to reference that link in the future. I must say that price truly undercuts the quality of that speaker

Nice Find
Now at $400
post #49 of 56 Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Wow, 87 db sensitivity and 6 ohms: really does need "big boy amp!"

But with its max input power of 125 watts, that's 98 db spl at 10 feet.

Seems more suitable for music than reference theater.
post #50 of 56 Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, not the most efficient but when given power, they can go LOUD and clear for HT. I run mine with a 200wpc external amp and they sing and never distort or sound harsh
post #51 of 56 Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i'm considering giving those jamos a listen. couple of questions: does anyone know how they would compare with the infinity primus? i currently have primus 360's. also, my receiver is a denon 1610 rated at 75 wpc. will it be able to drive the jamos?
post #52 of 56 Old 03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

i'm considering giving those jamos a listen. couple of questions: does anyone know how they would compare with the infinity primus? i currently have primus 360's. also, my receiver is a denon 1610 rated at 75 wpc. will it be able to drive the jamos?

The 1610 should drive the C803s adequately at moderate listening levels. Higher levels may be a challenge. Seems like a high current 100W+ 2CH amp would be a better choice. Go to the Jamo owners thread to see what others are using to drive C803s.

Wish I had listening experience with the C803s. I've owned Primus 360s some time ago. They were a rather unremarkable speaker. On paper, the C803s should be musically quite an improvement. Maybe you'll find a comparison in the Jamo thread also. Send a PM to kesando as he owns the C803s.
post #53 of 56 Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Yeah, not the most efficient but when given power, they can go LOUD and clear for HT. I run mine with a 200wpc external amp and they sing and never distort or sound harsh

Just so I know what you mean by 'power,' and 'loud,' what sort of SPL do you get from them? Do you listen near reference?
post #54 of 56 Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

Just so I know what you mean by 'power,' and 'loud,' what sort of SPL do you get from them? Do you listen near reference?

I have played them at reference with movies and near reference with music. They have never sounded harsh with vocals, instruments or movie sound effects. They are a bit warm compared to say Klipsh or paradigm at low volume but open up at louder volumes.

I'm running them through an ELITE VSX33 AVR and emotiva XPA 3 giving them about 250 per channel at 6ohm. Half the power would be enough though. Auto calibration has the C803s at -4.5 and crossed at 80hz set to small. They can be ran large and can play down to 50-60hz though I wouldn't push them to reference set that way. My dual SVS's hande the bottom end just fine.
post #55 of 56 Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

Judging by its specs, it doesn't seem to capable of reproducing reference levels beyond about 5'. And that's taking its 250 short term max power rating into account with no power compression(which isn't possible for any speaker).
post #56 of 56 Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Judging by its specs, it doesn't seem to capable of reproducing reference levels beyond about 5'. And that's taking its 250 short term max power rating into account with no power compression(which isn't possible for any speaker).

could be possible. I sit about 7 feet from them in a 2500 cu ft living area (1 bedroom apt). I suspect the C805-809 would be better for larger areas or a farther distance over 10ft.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page