AVS Forum banner

Polk Audio Monitor 40's STANDS

11K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  nyrmetros 
#1 ·
Can anyone who has these speakers please list what stands you are using..

im debating between the 40's and the 30's and want the 40's but I cant find any good speaker stands..

i have searched high and low..

please help

thanks!!

take it easy im a noobb

See less See more
#4 ·
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpkogan69 /forum/post/20165210

now my question with that would be..

is it high enough for rears?...

I didn't notice you also asked on your other thread where you stated these were going to be your rears. In that case, go for the BF-31B if you are going that way. But, 30's should be enough for surround duty.

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-..._bxgy_e_text_b

And just order one if you decide to buy these, they come in pairs.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen /forum/post/20165205

I'm using the Sanus BF-24B stands for my monitor 40's:

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-..._bxgy_e_text_b

with something like this velcro tape to hold them steady:

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-brand-I..._bxgy_ac_img_a

Could you please tell me the dimensions of the part of the stand where the speaker would sit. Monitor 40's base is 12x7 i am trying to figure out the dimensions of the Sanus BF31 where the speaker sits, i would be using the monitor 40s for surround as well.

Most ppl. are saying that Sanus are for small book shelf speakers and monitor look large or medium side compared to my small book shelf Polk T15.

thanks.

#13 ·
Because people are trying to use them as surround speakers which should be a few feet over the listeners ears. So these need to be lifted a few feet to be placed properly. I'm thinking of moving my 50's to surrounds because I found a good deal on 60's locally that I'm interested in that I'd put up front.
I need to go home tonight and look to see if the feet can be removed. I was worried they would look dumb with feet and stands, but if the feet can come off, might make it look "presentable".

#14 ·
Sell the Monitor 50's and buy actual surround speakers!!!!

I strongly suggest AGAINST putting the Monitor 50's on stands. You would be better off building your own mini platforms and that way you will be able to make it better for your situation. Platforms big enough to have the hole bottom of the top heavy speakers on with feet and all. The feet to the Monitor 50's help keep it the speakers from toppling over.

Do you really want to take a risk of balancing a top heavy speaker on a 6" square?

Do you really need to raise your Polk Monitor 50's up 18-24 inches? Then the tweeter height will be way off.

Not to mention you will be upsetting the balance of the stand and likely pushing its weight limits. Its a sure way to have your 26lbs speaker fall to the ground and break.

What you are planning on doing is extremely unsafe. You are taking a huge risk with little improvement to your sound. If you are worried that much about surround speaker location by actual speakers to do the job. (BTWs surround speakers are fine at seated ear height.)

#15 ·
Well, I had thought about making some custom stands for fun, a little wood work project to see if I could attach the polks to them. Make the stands very heavy and if the feet are removable, literally bolt them to the stands if possible reusing the feet mounting.
I just know other people have asked from googleing, but I'm yet to actually see a picture or someone doing them.
I have no kids, right now my speaker setup is dangerous. I have a set of dvd shelf flanking the couch with a skinny surround speaker sitting on top of it (should be wall mounted, but I have no wall one one side of my HT. Just not as expensive of a drop as a polk monitor would be.

#17 ·
You remove the feet to the Monitor 50's they will most certainly topple over. Your DIY platforms should be able to accomodate the Monitor 50's in width and depth completely so 10" squares. Still you are throwing center of gravity and balance of the speaker.

What is the height of your ears when seated in your room?

You do NOT need surrounds a few feet higher. a foot below or above your ears at seated height is the proper level. Creating a safety risk is not worth the slight improvement of sound:rolleyes:

#16 ·
I estimated the tweeter on the 50's to be around 27inches off the floor. If according to my reading the surrounds should be a few feet above ear level seated (estimation that is around 36 inches), that means I would want the tweeter around 60 inches off the floor. (36 ear plus 2 feet above ear). If the polk tweeter is 27 that means I want a stand around 30 inches tall roughly. Yes that is pretty tall. Is it safe? I'm not sure. Would it look weird? Maybe.

#20 ·
ANY decent (meaning, stable/sturdy not flimsy or weak) speaker stands can be used with ANY speakers. The idea that certain speakers require certain stands (esp. ones by the same speaker brand/company) to "sound their best" is pure sales/marketing BS on the same level as magical voodoo cables and the like.

Monolith stands, available from Amazon or Monoprice websites, are a popular choice.