Importance of each speaker in a 7.1 system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please excuse yet another rookie question.

How important is each speaker, and what for? I know the front 3 are the most, and should be top quality that I can afford. My question is, what exactly do I need/want for the remaining 4? Should I save and buy top-end bookshelves if I can, or will satellites be more than adequate for the ranges needed for rear speakers? I've noticed almost all packages basically throw their bottom-end satellites in for the mids and rears.

It will be for 90% movies.

Thanks everyone for all the help, and education, you have provided!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

My personal preferrance is to have everything match. 18 months ago I bought some NS-F700 speakers and used them as my center, mains and heights, while using my older Polks for my surrounds. Last week I bought some more Yammies to replace the Polks.

I did this so everything will have the same timber and look the same. You could use other brands, like you stated the front three are the main concern.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #3 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

My personal preferrance is to have everything match. 18 months ago I bought some NS-F700 speakers and used them as my center, mains and heights, while using my older Polks for my surrounds. Last week I bought some more Yammies to replace the Polks.

I did this so everything will have the same timber and look the same. You could use other brands, like you stated the front three are the main concern.

Thanks, I plan on everything matching. I guess my question is, if I am looking at something like Aperion Verus Grands, should I have the Grands bookshelves all around, or would the Vertus Forte Satellites serve me very well in the backs? Also, of the mids/rears is one more important than the other? Should I have the Rears be Grands or at least bookshelves, and the mids be satellites (or vice-versa)?
post #4 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Let me look at the specs of each and I'l get back to you in a few.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #5 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I looked and I would go with the bookshelves if money is not a problem nor the space. I'm just not a big fan of having the tweeters imbedded in the midrange like they have them.

What your describing is what I went through myself and find it funny. My story is I was looking at the NS-B700 to the NS-B750 for my surrounds. I had the NS-B700 for my heights and they are okay there since they are just filling in space. I then took one of them to where my Polks were and tested them as surrounds, the Polks won that battle just do to having a bigger midrange/woofer. The sound was fuller to me. I know the NS-B750 will be a lot better then the Polks just cause the way the towers sounded. Since the bookshelves are suppose to replace the towers if space is not allowed I can't go wrong. I just received the new speakers today and will test them tonight when I get home.

In conclusion, for a richer and fuller sound I would go with the bookshelves if you can swing them.

post #6 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I looked and I would go with the bookshelves if money is not a problem nor the space. I'm just not a big fan of having the tweeters imbedded in the midrange like they have them.

What your describing is what I went through myself and find it funny. My story is I was looking at the NS-B700 to the NS-B750 for my surrounds. I had the NS-B700 for my heights and they are okay there since they are just filling in space. I then took one of them to where my Polks were and tested them as surrounds, the Polks won that battle just do to having a bigger midrange/woofer. The sound was fuller to me. I know the NS-B750 will be a lot better then the Polks just cause the way the towers sounded. Since the bookshelves are suppose to replace the towers if space is not allowed I can't go wrong. I just received the new speakers today and will test them tonight when I get home.

In conclusion, for a richer and fuller sound I would go with the bookshelves if you can swing them.

Thanks, I think that is what I want to do anyway.

I guess I am still curious about exactly what the mid and rear speakers are tasked with. Obbviously any noise that is to be beside/behind; but are they limited in what frequencies they are tasked with? I guess I just would like to understand better why it seems "acceptable" to use lower-level speakers for rears in otherwise higher-end systems. Is it just that most dialogue/effects are handled by the front 3?
post #7 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

All they do is fill in sound.

I use mine to listen to music as well and when I have all channels going, that's where the main difference will come into play. Of course most of the time I use just two channel, but certain songs, ones that are recorded live especially are when I use all speakers.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

All they do is fill in sound.

So if I did use the satellites, or even just step-down bookshelves there would be zero difference in the sound quality of a movie? I guess that is the bottom-line for me: Would I notice a difference if I heard both setups side-by-side; and if so, what would the difference be? Also, is there any reason for at least one of the two pairs (either one) to be a better speaker? I know these questions are kind of dumb, but I really want to wrap my head around exactly what I am buying and why I should buy one or another.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

This from a friend of mine on another forum

"Well, you'd be surpised how much matching rears can contribute to your listening experience. See, I'm running a full Dynaudio Contour front right now, but my rears are still Klipsch in the waiting of being swapped. A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine lent me a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140 bookshelf speakers, which he had bought second-hand to use as his own rears. I laid them on my Klipsch, so that they stood right over my head, 45° behind me and... HOLY CR*P! Seriously, I could not believe my ears, as in multichannel everything had changed and improved dramatically. The matching timber was a bliss, and they sounded so much better than my Klipsch overall.

So my point is: good surrounds can contribute to your system just as much as anything else. Though satisfying my subwoofer needs would still come first in my personal to-do list. "

post #10 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This from a friend of mine on another forum

"Well, you'd be surpised how much matching rears can contribute to your listening experience. See, I'm running a full Dynaudio Contour front right now, but my rears are still Klipsch in the waiting of being swapped. A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine lent me a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140 bookshelf speakers, which he had bought second-hand to use as his own rears. I laid them on my Klipsch, so that they stood right over my head, 45° behind me and... HOLY CR*P! Seriously, I could not believe my ears, as in multichannel everything had changed and improved dramatically. The matching timber was a bliss, and they sounded so much better than my Klipsch overall.

So my point is: good surrounds can contribute to your system just as much as anything else. Though satisfying my subwoofer needs would still come first in my personal to-do list. "

Okay, sounds good. Thank you. One last question on the same subject, possibly beating the horse after it's been turned to glue. If I stick with Aperion speakers (the grand verus towers and center front), would the Verus Grand Bookshelf $299 each, the 5B bookshelf $225 each, the 4bp surround, and the 4b satellite $130 each, all give the same experience for movies? In the theater package using the Grand Bookshelves as the front, the surrounds used are the satellites, which is what got me started on all this. I want to do it right, and not compromise the sound quality at all for movies, but I also don't want to spend money that has no return-on-investment.

Thank you so much for all your answers by the way. It has really helped me.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

So now your asking to use the bookshelves as the main three instead of the towers and how everything will sound by going that route?

post #12 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So now your asking to use the bookshelves as the main three instead of the towers and how everything will sound by going that route?

No, I'm sorry I made it unclear. I would still have the towers and center in the front, the question still about the bookshelves as the surrounds. When I referenced the package that had the bookshelves as the fronts, I was meaning it to point out how they have their bottom-line satellites paired as surrounds for the top-line bookshelves, and what effect that would have on the sounds, or if it makes sense to spend the extra and go for the best all around, or if that is a waste of money with no gain from the surrounds being top-line bookshelves.

I hope that makes sense. Basically, with tower fronts and a center, is there going to be a noticeable difference in sound quality for movies using their high-end Verus Grands vs their bottom-end (relative term) surrounds or smaller bookshelves or satellites?
post #13 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

There is going to be a small difference, but not enough of a one to get the highend stuff if all your doing is watching movies. BUT if you're going to be doing any music with this system then I would get the highend stuff.

post #14 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sorry to butt in--- but I was reading this thread and noticed homank76 was USAF.
Just wanted to say THANKS for your SERVICE!

I'd also like to add to the thread, homank76 has it right, timbre matching the surrounds makes a WORLD of difference. I just upgraded my L&R surrounds to the same series as my LCR and, to quote, HOLY CR*P!

post #15 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Doesn't Asperian have a 30 day home day trial? You could get two of the grandes and two of the satellites and from there decide which ones you like better. Then return what you don't like and get the other ones that you do.

Or actually buy the speakers that way and put the Grandes at the surround position and the satellites as the rears. The surrounds get used a lot more than the rears do.

post #16 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

Sorry to butt in--- but I was reading this thread and noticed homank76 was USAF.
Just wanted to say THANKS for your SERVICE!

I'd also like to add to the thread, homank76 has it right, timbre matching the surrounds makes a WORLD of difference. I just upgraded my L&R surrounds to the same series as my LCR and, to quote, HOLY CR*P!

It's my pleasure.

post #17 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Doesn't Asperian have a 30 day home day trial? You could get two of the grandes and two of the satellites and from there decide which ones you like better. Then return what you don't like and get the other ones that you do.

Or actually buy the speakers that way and put the Grandes at the surround position and the satellites as the rears. The surrounds get used a lot more than the rears do.

Thanks. That is a very good idea. I am leaning towards either that (the satellites as rears with Grands mids), or just deciding to start with a 5.1 of Grands and then about a month later add another pair of them. On one hand my original budget was $1500, if I came this far, what is another $600. But, it is still another $600, so I'm not sure. I will already have to save a couple months either way I think.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just to inform you I hooked up my new surrounds up last night and my god did it make a difference. Just like buying a real subwoofer, should have done this months ago.

post #19 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just to inform you I hooked up my new surrounds up last night and my god did it make a difference. Just like buying a real subwoofer, should have done this months ago.

Awesome. Reinforces my desire to get as good a quality speaker as I can afford. Thanks!
post #20 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

A related question, so I don't clutter up the forum anymore:

If I am stuck with mounting my mids at about ceiling height angled down, what should I do with my rears? Should they be the same height angled down, or lower on the wall? Also how far apart from each other should they be, unfortunately my rear wall is 10' wide, with the door on the far right, so I would need to either go above the door (13" space not including door trim, 15" if I overlap trim) or right beside it which would be about 2' from the center. The listening position will be about 2.5 feet in front of the wall, maybe 3'.

I have read online the rears should be close to the center though, and not spaced very far from each other, is this true?

Here are a couple pictures of what I am dealing with:
1)

2)
post #21 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I'd really like to be able to use the Aperion Bookshelves, which are, my luck, 13" tall, so using above door would be tricky.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page