post #271 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Is that an axe in your hand behind the couch?

Bill

Beer of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace

Agreed. Sounds like a classic case of "Nothing sounds quite as nice as that which I own". Indeed, some of the descriptions of the attributes of the speakers sound like wine critic puffery. I'm waiting for someone to describe the Salk's mids as chocolate on the nose with a hint of oak and a peppery finish.
You obviously didn't understand anything anyone posted. This doesn't surprise me, though.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #273 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
You obviously didn't understand anything anyone posted. This doesn't surprise me, though.
Obviously...
post #274 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Well one thing's for certain, speaker loyalty is alive and well

Apparently none of the speakers were that much better than the other to tempt someone to jump ship........ even the $8k Paradigm Sigs didn't fare so well.

DreamCatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post
Agreed. Sounds like a classic case of "Nothing sounds quite as nice as that which I own". Indeed, some of the descriptions of the attributes of the speakers sound like wine critic puffery. I'm waiting for someone to describe the Salk's mids as chocolate on the nose with a hint of oak and a peppery finish.
You two guys are really great. A group of guys go through all the effort to pack up their speakers and haul them around to share their experiences, and this is what you two have to offer. Let me extend a big thank you to you both. I for one really appreciate it. I hope the other guys do as well.

And yes, it is obvious you didn't understand anything posted.
post #275 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post
A group of guys go through all the effort to pack up their speakers and haul them around to share their experiences,
Thanks, to all of you for your effort, and sharing the results. It will
assist and help a lot of people.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #276 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post
You two guys are really great. A group of guys go through all the effort to pack up their speakers and haul them around to share their experiences, and this is what you two have to offer. Let me extend a big thank you to you both. I for one really appreciate it. I hope the other guys do as well.

And yes, it is obvious you didn't understand anything posted.
A bit touchy aren't we

I for one really appreciate the effort you guys put into this speaker shootout.
And I'm not surprised each speaker owner preferred their respective speaker, after all that's what you're use to hearing, good or bad, right or wrong.
Even the newbs came away undecided which of the participating speakers would be their next/future purchase.

Peace

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #277 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A bit touchy aren't we

And I'm not surprised each speaker owner preferred their respective speaker, after all that's what you're use to hearing, good or bad, right or wrong.
Even the newbs came away undecided which of the participating speakers would be their next/future purchase.

Peace

DreamCatcher
Maybe a little touchy. I guess I wouldn't crap on a thread like that, and I don't think you should either.

But seriously, you need to re-read the thread if you think what you've stated is correct.
post #278 of 1777 Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 104
I thoroughly enjoyed following the thread and appreciate all of your efforts. Please ignore the dickhead comments and keep up the good work!

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #279 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I thoroughly enjoyed following the thread and appreciate all of your efforts. Please ignore the dickhead comments and keep up the good work!

Thanks guys. We appreciate it.

I felt bad having the guys pack up their precious speakers to drag them to my house risking scratches and damage. I've done it once, and it was nerve racking. Then when you read negative comments like that, it certainly doesn't make any of this worth it.
post #280 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A bit touchy aren't we

Peace

DreamCatcher

I wasn't talking about you, just so we're clear. I quoted the guy that was acting foolish.

For what it's worth, I think we all did a good job of explaining the differences between the speakers as we heard them. I think the Sig's sounded the most different out of any speaker, but Paradigm had different design goals in mind, and they nailed those goals. The three ID speakers also had their differences, but it's not like they had a completely different sound. It's clear to me after hearing all three side-by-side that the designers really know what they are doing. All three are honestly great speakers for their respective price ranges; there is no sugarcoating when I say this. If I had $2000 I'd compare the dome SongTower's and Ascend Towers side-by-side and keep the winner. If I had a $3000 budget I'd buy the SongTower RT's with the new RAAL ribbon. If I had $4500 I'd buy the HT2-TL's. Seriously, in their price ranges these speakers beat anything that I've heard that can be found in a B&M store. This is just my opinion, of course, and God knows I haven't heard every speaker in those price ranges.

By the way, perhaps you missed some of the posts if you think all of the "newbs" left the GTG undecided. Krzywica (Aaron) posted here this week and clearly stated he is planning to order a pair of Salk SongTower RT's. Warpdrv (Patrick - the Paradigm Sig owner) preferred the Salk's. And I believe Jay is the only one still in limbo, which I totally understand. He's got a strict price range (as all of us do/did), so he has a tough decision to make. He really can't go wrong with either purchase, and he just needs to decide which sound he preferred.

I am automatically bias because I am an owner of Salk speakers, so if you want to discount my opinion please go right ahead (you won't offend me), but the non-owners of Salk and Ascend all gave their opinions, and they were clear and concise about how they felt. Check out their posts again if things are unclear. Also, it's not like I bought Salk speakers sight unseen and haven't compared them to anything else. I auditioned speakers for over two years, documented some of it here on AVS, and still continue to audition speakers and compare them to what I currently own. I know nothing in comparison to many of the guys on this forum, but I'd like to think I put in the time and effort to find something I truly love, and the name brand has nothing to do with it.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #281 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Thank you gentlemen; that means a lot.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #282 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

Sounds like a classic case of "Nothing sounds quite as nice as that which I own". Indeed, some of the descriptions of the attributes of the speakers sound like wine critic puffery. I'm waiting for someone to describe the Salk's mids as chocolate on the nose with a hint of oak and a peppery finish.

As has been already stated and you agreed that you obviously don't get it. If anyone that is seriously interested in the new Ascend Towers as well as the Salk SongTowers would certainly come away with a wealth of information from this thread IMO. I am on the preorder list for the Towers and the information in this thread was extremely useful to me in making a decision on whether to order them or not.

I would guess you have no interest in any of the speakers here but couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw in a little dig at the guys from WI. Maybe you should try hosting a GTG with a number of people or better yet try hauling around your $2-4k speakers. Then you might have a better idea of the effort that goes into doing this.

I for one would be very hesitant to haul around my SongTowers for fear of damaging them. But this is no surprise especially to the guys that came to a recent GTG at my house. OCD anyone ("theres no dust on his gear"). At least I do not have my couches and LazBoy covered in plastic yet.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #283 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
No question Bill.... I was extremely hesitant about bringing my S8's to the GTG, they are at least 100lbs each and not easily maneuvered - a pain in the butt to box up and the boxes are over 5 ft tall and rather large... and I'm the only one who boxed up my speakers for this.

The finish on all these speakers is extremely beautiful and not something someone at this level of investment would really care to risk....

And yes - for the record, I would have no problems in getting a pair of Salks for a 2 channel listening scenario - they are just that good, but I wouldn't replace my Sigs for what they bring to the party - they are absolutely amazing for me and my setup...

I am not as much a person that has the time to sit and listen to 2 channel music for a extended amount of time, but if I did - I would have a dedicated 2 channel rig - and you can bet that it would more then likely include the Salks...
post #284 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

He's got the Ascend Tower's on preorder, Bill, at least according to one of his posts. He's obviously upset that some of us preferred the Salk's. It's amazing how foolish some people act when someone disagrees with them. It's like they snap into hate mode...

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, Bill. If you do stay on the preorder list and compare the speakers side-by-side I'd be very interested in your impressions. Is anyone willing to donate some SongTowers with dome tweeters to the Wisconsin Audio Club so we can do a side-by-side with them and the only pair of Ascend Towers currently in existence?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #285 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking exactly the same thing on both parts that you just stated Brandon....

I thought it would be awesome to make a direct comparison between the dome and ribbon - maybe Jim could send us a pair that can be raffled off
post #286 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is anyone willing to donate some SongTowers with dome tweeters to the Wisconsin Audio Club so we can do a side-by-side with them and the only pair of Ascend Towers currently in existence?

Brandon,

Maybe I'll have to pack up my dome STs in the family truckster to make the trek to WI for the next GTG. That is if I have enough bubble wrap, clean towels, tie downs and after a call to Lloyds of London to insure them.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #287 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:

As has been already stated and you agreed that you obviously don't get it. If anyone that is seriously interested in the new Ascend Towers as well as the Salk SongTowers would certainly come away with a wealth of information from this thread IMO. I am on the preorder list for the Towers and the information in this thread was extremely useful to me in making a decision on whether to order them or not.

I would guess you have no interest in any of the speakers here but couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw in a little dig at the guys from WI. Maybe you should try hosting a GTG with a number of people or better yet try hauling around your $2-4k speakers. Then you might have a better idea of the effort that goes into doing this.

I for one would be very hesitant to haul around my SongTowers for fear of damaging them. But this is no surprise especially to the guys that came to a recent GTG at my house. OCD anyone ("theres no dust on his gear"). At least I do not have my couches and LazBoy covered in plastic yet.

Bill

Bill, you are just the person I'm looking for. You will be able to compare the ST with soft dome tweeters to the Ascend Towers. Have you been told what the ETA is?
post #288 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Wow, I totally had a serial killer look on my face when you snapped that picture, ha! Caught me off guard, probably in a deep sonic euphoria. The Ascends must have been playing

Now that you mention it!

post #289 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i'm glad you guys posted some impressions... some of us are lurking and readng quietly...

i know that i, for one, would not go through the effort these guys did hauling their speakers around to do this... so kudos to those who did...

it's too bad that some cannot simply read and digest without feeling the need to "defend inanimate objects"...

anyway, thanks for the effort, and who is who in the pic???

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #290 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b View Post

Now that you mention it!

LOL! My only question is there any members of WAC'd left after Sundays GTG besides Brandon?

Bill

post #291 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Now that you mention it!

Ha! Good stuff. I was about to take out all the salk owners in one fatal chop......and run off with their speakers
post #292 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Now that you mention it!

Quote:

LOL! My only question is there any members of WAC'd left after Sundays GTG besides Brandon?

Bill

Bill, I think everyone agreed that the Ascends were the BEST SPEAKERS BY FAR before/if they were allowed to leave
post #293 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

The members in the pic are:

On the couch from left to right: Jay (jboiler76) and Brandon (Nuance)
Behind the couch: Brandon (merrymaid520)
Chairs from left to right: Aaron (krzywica) and Patrick (Warpdrv)
post #294 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I thought it would be awesome to make a direct comparison between the dome and ribbon - maybe Jim could send us a pair that can be raffled off

Wouldn't that be something?!

Quote:

Now that you mention it!

ROFLMAO! That's too funny!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #295 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Wow...I step away for half a day and looks what happens.

FWIW...I didn't read any maliciousness into DreamCatcher's or malaplace's posts.

And I love what miller8b did to merrymaid's picture!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #296 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I wasn't talking about you, just so we're clear. I quoted the guy that was acting foolish.

For what it's worth, I think we all did a good job of explaining the differences between the speakers as we heard them. I think the Sig's sounded the most different out of any speaker, but Paradigm had different design goals in mind, and they nailed those goals. The three ID speakers also had their differences, but it's not like they had a completely different sound. It's clear to me after hearing all three side-by-side that the designers really know what they are doing. All three are honestly great speakers for their respective price ranges; there is no sugarcoating when I say this. If I had $2000 I'd compare the dome SongTower's and Ascend Towers side-by-side and keep the winner. If I had a $3000 budget I'd buy the SongTower RT's with the new RAAL ribbon. If I had $4500 I'd buy the HT2-TL's. Seriously, in their price ranges these speakers beat anything that I've heard that can be found in a B&M store. This is just my opinion, of course, and God knows I haven't heard every speaker in those price ranges.

By the way, perhaps you missed some of the posts if you think all of the "newbs" left the GTG undecided. Krzywica (Aaron) posted here this week and clearly stated he is planning to order a pair of Salk SongTower RT's. Warpdrv (Patrick - the Paradigm Sig owner) preferred the Salk's. And I believe Jay is the only one still in limbo, which I totally understand. He's got a strict price range (as all of us do/did), so he has a tough decision to make. He really can't go wrong with either purchase, and he just needs to decide which sound he preferred.

I am automatically bias because I am an owner of Salk speakers, so if you want to discount my opinion please go right ahead (you won't offend me), but the non-owners of Salk and Ascend all gave their opinions, and they were clear and concise about how they felt. Check out their posts again if things are unclear. Also, it's not like I bought Salk speakers sight unseen and haven't compared them to anything else. I auditioned speakers for over two years, documented some of it here on AVS, and still continue to audition speakers and compare them to what I currently own. I know nothing in comparison to many of the guys on this forum, but I'd like to think I put in the time and effort to find something I truly love, and the name brand has nothing to do with it.

Lighten up. My statement was simply a lighthearted comment of some of descriptions of the speakers. Let me apologize if any of you gentlemen were offended. I don't believe anyone said anything about descriptions being unclear or inarticulate (as you allude to above). Some of the reviews, especially those from the actual owners giving said speakers organic qualities were quite interesting. It is not surprising; it is this human psychology that I'm sure some of us found amusing. Sorry if you did not. Thanks for all of your hard work listening to speakers at the pow-wow...
post #297 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
TJ...in post #247 you left out a picture of the HT2-TL's.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #298 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Wow...I step away for half a day and looks what happens.

And I love what miller8b did to merrymaid's picture!

I guess you're not allowed to step away any more. You've got to moderate your Ascend boys and we'll do the same with the Salk boys. LOL!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #299 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A question to Nuance, without going trough your finding the perfect speaker post, what veneer is that on your ST?
thanks
post #300 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Not the same pic but here is similar, Pau Ferro Rosewood....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...&topic=93585.0

Here is a better pic of Nuances speakers...
I boldly stated they were the "Angriest LOOKING" speakers at the gtg

And here is a link to Terry's speaker pics... they are very low key in what I like to call a shark skin...
Very subtle but when the light is on them you can see how they really come alive...

Terry do you have the pic that Jim took before they shipped... ?

Smokey Silver Guitar Finish English Fiddleback Sycamore
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16107985

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page